Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    slaughtered meat
    sleep on something that you've cut up dead animals on
    After we slaughter them there is no nap. There is only work. We owe a responsibility to the animal not to waste it, but to immediately process it and get it out of the woods and into an ice chest. Once we do that then we can sleep. I think he is referring to sleeping on it prior to making the kill.

Here is an idea for the tarp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6h0r4d9HfU. http://www.survival-solutions.com/o-...--details.html
    You can get by with a net hammock, but I have used them previously on my hunting trips for midday naps and they offer minimal utility and comfort. My experience has been that they are cold due to the net exsanguinating the blood from my bottom side more efficiently than a solid material hammock. All hammocks do this, but a net hammock obtains a special sadistic satisfaction in doing it. Carry the few extra ounces of a material hammock and enjoy that noon nap. Heck, at my age that's the best part of my hunt! I currently use my old gateway hammock that I haven't used in years, my little Grand Trunk. It's good enough for an hour or two nap, packs down well into my pack, including its suspension. It will make do for now, but I am on the hunt for a longer ultralight hammock to replace it, lighter, but longer to achieve greater comfort.

As for the meat ground cloth: Take a large contractor's garbage bag. It offers multiple uses, has more utility. The biggest of them can be used as a makeshift bivy sack, or awesome poncho. Good Hunting! Please pass on the legacy of this most basic American heritage!
    Last edited by Tonykarter; 01-05-2017 at 09:32.
    Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    +1 on two different pieces of fabric.

I can see using the tarp/meat cloth as the same piece of fabric, but what if it rains when you are in the hammock? You'd get soaked through.

If the tarp is separate, you could use both at the same time.

If you are planning to field dress and pack out game, then you must be pretty strong, so what is another 16 oz in your pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 ROBIC XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly CRL
    Insulation
    HG UQ 20 / TQ 30
    Suspension
    DIY CL/Mule Tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrillah View Post
    I'm looking to carry a tarp in my hunting pack that I can hide under in the rain, turn into a hammock for a lunch time nap, and throw meat on top of when I'm boning something out. Light, water resistant, and easy to clean blood off when I get home. Any recommendations of what material to use?
    jellyfish, I love how you always think outside of the box, it gets the ideas rolling! Lots of excellent info so far for you and the rest of us interested in the same topic.
    TO EACH THEIR OWN....

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    I am willing to trade hammock sewing for game, so long as it isn't elk. I have never developed a taste for elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies
    Fabric? No. I've been an avid hunter for almost 30 years and would never lay or butcher on fabric. They are dressed, hung and processed. Meat can be stored wrapped in plastic.
    Bring a sheet of plastic with you, don't use items you sleep on or under. It's not very sanity and will not smell pretty after awhile.

Sent from a phone somewhere

Had to laugh at the the great comments on this...

Try something like Burlington Maxima fabric. It has all of these characteristics and it is engineered to be imprermeable to blood.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12