Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    So for us Hefty Hangers out there......1/8" Amsteel should have at least a 9.1875 bury. has an average breaking strength of 2500lbs, minimum breaking strength of 2300lbs. working load strength of around 500lbs. So if its the same 80% of that when made into a whoopee, is still 400lbs.
    Last edited by Hefty Hanger; 10-23-2017 at 20:17.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefty Hanger View Post
    So for us Hefty Hangers out there......1/8" Amsteel should have at least a 9.1875 bury. has an average breaking strength of 2500lbs, minimum breaking strength of 2300lbs. working load strength of around 500lbs. So if its the same 80% of that when made into a whoopee, is still 400lbs.
    1/8 Amsteel should have a 2 fid bury (4.96 in) and after the derating for the splice the cord will retain 90% of it rated strength ( 2250 lbs). Whoopie slings made from Amsteel blue (following Samson’s instructions retain 70% of the published avg breaking strength (1750) lbs. these numbers are available on the Samson site, documented in their instructions for making Whoopie slings.

For my hefty-ness, 1/8 Blue provides a comfortable safety margin 350 lbs for 5x, 438 lbs for 4x, 583 lbs for 3x. I’m not climbing a rock wall so I’m not sure 5x is absolutely necessary.. but HYOH..
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Thank you for the correction. good to know

Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    I’m not climbing a rock wall so I’m not sure 5x is absolutely necessary.. but HYOH..
    I believe for rock climbing and other activities where life or limb are at risk, the safe working load that's used is around 12 -15 X, minimum 10 X. No rock climber uses 5 X for rock climbing. These numbers are also talking about completely new unused rope. It goes down with use as well as splicing.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by AyeJay View Post
    I believe for rock climbing and other activities where life or limb are at risk, the safe working load that's used is around 12 -15 X, minimum 10 X. No rock climber uses 5 X for rock climbing. These numbers are also talking about completely new unused rope. It goes down with use as well as splicing.
    Very true... They also don't use 7/64 or 1/8th Amsteel for climbing ropes or Whoppie slings...
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    As a followup.. Climbing ropes are not rated as 5x, 10x, etc... Ropes are rated based on use (Single, half, twin, static, etc.). REI has some great information if anyone is interested.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...afetyStandards

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    "The length of the bury depends on the diameter of the rope. Counter-intuitively, the smaller the diameter of the rope, the shorter the bury needs to be. For example, a whoopie made with 1.75 mm Zing-it would only need five inches of bury."

I do not believe this statement to be true. I made a UCR last night for an adjustable Ridge line for my table cloth hammock. Its very wide and I needed something shorter than the standard 83%. I didn't know how much shorter. I made it with 1.75 zing-it, made the bury 7 inches. Figured more couldn't hurt. It didn't hold.

Question looking at making either a continuous loop for the gathered end or would a dog bone be better

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    CL, I would think, because you can achieve a shorter minimum hang distance.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Guide to Amsteel

Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    I bought whoopies by Nimbus Hammock on Amazon. They are listed as " adjustable from 2'-6', 3 or 4mm UHMWPE with reflective tracers." They came with 2 free soft shackles andcost $22. I put them on my hammock about 2 weeks ago and they are showing wear already! Where the tail exits is turning white, fraying some and fading. Also fraying/fading at top of loop behind my marlin spike. Did I get ripped off? I'm only 165lbs so I'm not overloading them. They just don't seem like they should be breaking down this way already. What are these made of? I'm NOT HAPPY and will replace with Whoopies from a cottage vendor as soon as I'm able to. HELP!!Attachment 134763Attachment 134764Attachment 134765Attachment 134766Attachment 134767Attachment 134768Attachment 134769 First pic is the day I put them on, nice, bright red. Rest are today, faded, fraying and dull. Last two are today pic of soft shackle faded and fraying, followed by day I got them pic.
    Chesapeake, possibly red suspension shown in your pictures is not same quality standards as offered by known vendors on this forum—and possibly it is same high quality, but probably not.

The distortion of braid at bury exit might be due to poor quality of product, in ADDITION to pulling amsteel tail at right angles to bury to adjust whoopie sling. Or even worse—pulling amsteel tail at 180 degrees (opposite direction doubled back on bury) of bury, to adjust whoopie sling.
    Chesapeake this is all me guessing. I have pulled amsteel tail sideways instead of in line with bury—and my amsteel braid was distorted at bury exit—same as yours. It still held and I used them a few more hangs before replacing with new whoopie slings. I think I reduced amsteel strength some by distorting braid—whoopie sling still worked!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast