Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Bags, Quilts, Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works - Marcy 20* TQ

I've been looking to purchase a TQ for a while and spent some time looking around the cottage world to see what was available when I landed on Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works. I was instantly drawn to (no pun intended) the shock cord system they used to keep the quilt pulled up and under the user, regardless if they are in a hammock or on the ground. All of the other features seemed spot on with the options I needed, and best of all, they were able to deliver the quilt in a reasonable timeframe.

I spend most of my time in the Sierra, which can easily have nights into the 30 degree range in the summer (last June I found myself in the 20's), so I needed something to handle the cold and would much rather open up and vent a quilt if I get too warm. I am 6' and 180lbs with size 12 feet. In my mummy bag, I know my feet can get a little restricted and even cause the down to compress around them, and I hate having cold feet.

I settled on a 20 degree Marcy Argon 67 inside, Argon 90 outside, with no taper (gotta leave some room for my feet), at 50" wide and 78" long and it's great. The detail work and stitching is perfect, loft is amazing, and the shock cord system works well to keep the quilt under me throughout the night. It only got into the 30's on a recent trip, but I was super toasty and was able to easily open the quilt up at my neck to cool off. Lots of room and I felt comfy with this - if I really wanted to count grams, I think I would go for the full taper and shorter 72" length, maybe even something a little narrower. But I have zero regrets with the size I ordered - with the included stuff sock it measured 22oz on my scale saving me some weigh compared to my 32* mummy bag.

marcy-1.jpgmarcy-2.jpgmarcy-3.jpgmarcy-4.jpg

Jared, the owner of Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works, has been a pleasure to work with and has created provided a solid product that's going to see years of use.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I checked out the video on the shock cord after MAHHA, sorry I didn't look sooner.

Jared was at MAHHA and asking me if I had seen the new videos, which I had, except the one on the shock cord. He offered to show me the quilt in person but I didn't track him down later in the day and that was a mistake. After watching the vid, I really wish I had checked out the quilt.

So what do you think of the omni tape on the bag? It's my only concern, not a fan generally, always seems to stick to something, like my socks. Then again, it my be the perfect solution for an adjustable footbox and won't tear out snaps if I kick the box open some.

btw, heck of hanging spot you've got there
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Bags, Quilts, Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    So what do you think of the omni tape on the bag? It's my only concern, not a fan generally, always seems to stick to something, like my socks. Then again, it my be the perfect solution for an adjustable footbox and won't tear out snaps if I kick the box open some.
    I just received the quilt earlier this week, so I'm not the right guy to ask about long term testing, but I don't see it as an issue. If anything, the omnitape seems like a great solution to the problem of closing the footbox. I wanted a quilt that I could open up entirely if needed (or just to snuggle up with my wife with). I had looked online at other top quilts and didn't like the idea of my feet ending up on top of the snaps.

With the MAMW quilt, there is zero air transfer through the omnitape when it is closed. When I closed it up I made sure to line up both sides of the omnitape lined up with each other and I had no issues. In fact I started the night with socks on, then took them off half way through the night one night. I've never been able to snag (or even detect) the omnitape. Plus, the way in which it's sewn on makes it perfectly flat.

Of course I'm the first to admit that I haven't had a chance to use a differently designed quilt, but I can't find fault in this design.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.

There is a MAMW quilt in my near future, just need to figure out which one.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I like the looks of the top quilt but was wondering if you feel the shock cord under you at night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Bags, Quilts, Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoefor2 View Post
    I like the looks of the top quilt but was wondering if you feel the shock cord under you at night?
    I didn't notice the shock cords at all while sleeping. But, I did notice them in the morning when getting up the first time - I had completely forgotten they were there and was a bit surprised to have the extra cord dangling around me

One other important note: there are currently two cord locks (top and bottom) on each side of the quilt for the line that runs from top to bottom. One cord lock is at the top corner of the quilt, the other at the top of the footbox (in a spot where I could have felt it). While I didn't notice the cord locks either, Jared did mention to me that only one of the cord locks is necessary to remove whichever one I don't use.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    tenoverthenose! thanks for the review and i am glad you are enjoying your quilt so far! that picture of your hammock is too incredible!!

Ratdog, wish I could have shown you in person, but no worries, will catch you next time!!! It was awesome to meet you and I can't wait to hang out a bit more next MAHHA!

Canoefor2, happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Also, just as a follow-up to the cordlocks, I have been putting two cordlocks at the top of the footbox on a few of the most recent quilts to go out. This is sort of a test for a small design adjustment. Instead of drawing the shock cords that run up the side seams through the head end cordlocks (see videos below), this gives you the ability to pull the side drawcords tight, down by your knees and then dial in with the ones over your shoulders when in the quilt if necessary. I ask folks to try it out and if they do not like the cordlocks down by the footbox, they can simply be removed, but the cordlocks at the top corners will need to remain there if you want the ability to tighten the drawcord that goes across your chest/neck.

Jared

Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works
    www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.com

• + New Posts