Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Laying completely flat

Last night I had my first overnight in my gathered end hammock and it was absolutely miserable. It seems comfortable at first but after a long day of hiking, with my legs sore, laying at an angle is still putting a little pressure on my heels. This, in turn, hyper extends my knees just enough to where my legs won't relax. If I shorten the ridge line will this help at all? I know this can be a common thing with gathered end hammocks. Perhaps a gathered end hammock is simply not the appropriate hammock for my endeavor.

Alternatively I am looking at changing hammocks. On a previous thread where I was having difficulty hanging my hammock for the first time someone mentioned the Warbonnet Ridgerunner. The only bummer about that hammock is that it seems (judging from the pictures of the Ridgerunner) that my Wilderness Logics UQ won't fit it very well. I'm trying to avoid having to rework my entire sleep system if possible. Are there other hammocks out there that lay completely flat? I was looking at some of the Eno hammocks and the pictures make it seem like there's still a little bit of "banana-ing" going on.

I hate to think about going to a tent, because I'm not a great ground sleeper, but I'll take a stiff back over sore legs. My legs are going to carry me 2,190 miles so I need them to get maximum rest each night.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I hate that heel pressure, almost more than the calf ridge.

Here's a thread I started on this 4 years ago. 4 years!!
    Heel-Pressure-in-WBBB

What completely solved this was hanging the foot end about 10" higher and sleeping closer to the head end. When I reach back, I can almost touch the end of the hammock. But I guess that would depend on your height.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HEX
    Insulation
    KAQ- Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    What length is your hammock? Shortening the ridgeline would give more sag to your hammock so it might make it a little looser and comfortable. I would think that it could be the length of your hammock. You could also try putting something ( jacket, travel pillow, etc) under your knees to relieve the pressure and strain. I have had the same experience once but I usually don't sleep flat since I'm a side sleeper.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I hate that heel pressure, almost more than the calf ridge.

Here's a thread I started on this 4 years ago. 4 years!!
    Heel-Pressure-in-WBBB

What completely solved this was hanging the foot end about 10" higher and sleeping closer to the head end. When I reach back, I can almost touch the end of the hammock. But I guess that would depend on your height.
    This is solid advice. Something else I do in a 10ft hammock but don't need to in a 11ft is I put a bundle of spare clothes or a rolled up piece of closed cell foam behind my knees, this puts a comfortable bend in the knees for me. I like a thermarest sit pad under my heels for insulation and solving the heel pressure. It stay put well inside the sleeping bag or topquilt. If all else fails I can always get comfy by laying on my side with knees bent.

I didn't think to use the word "heel" in my search. D'oh!

It's a 12' piece of nylon with a 10' ridge line. I will give the adjustment you describe a try. I sure hope it works. I'd love to not have to change anything.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    Hilleberg 10 UL
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Fetal position. For me it is a must as my tongue chokes me while sleeping on my back, but it also takes care of any calf-heel problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallorne View Post
    This is solid advice. Something else I do in a 10ft hammock but don't need to in a 11ft is I put a bundle of spare clothes or a rolled up piece of closed cell foam behind my knees, this puts a comfortable bend in the knees for me. I like a thermarest sit pad under my heels for insulation and solving the heel pressure. It stay put well inside the sleeping bag or topquilt. If all else fails I can always get comfy by laying on my side with knees bent.
    I tried the side sleeping as well and I was still banana'd enough that it was immediately comfortable in my lower back. I even tried laying with my back in the "bottom" and my legs sticking up the one side. It was an awful night.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wdanner View Post
    I tried the side sleeping as well and I was still banana'd enough that it was immediately comfortable in my lower back. I even tried laying with my back in the "bottom" and my legs sticking up the one side. It was an awful night.
    Are you on a pronounced diagonal in the hammock? See #3 on Ultimate Hang's Tips For Pitch-Perfect...From what's described that's what springs to mind as the cause, being too in-line with the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallorne View Post
    Are you on a pronounced diagonal in the hammock? See #3 on Ultimate Hang's Tips For Pitch-Perfect...From what's described that's what springs to mind as the cause, being too in-line with the hammock.
    Yeah unfortunately I'm as diagonal as I can get. My shoulder is in the corner on one side and my feet are all the way on the other edge, to the point where sometimes my outside foot wants to fall off the edge. I'd have taken some pics if I wasn't alone.

Laying completely flat

Quote Originally Posted by wdanner View Post
    Yeah unfortunately I'm as diagonal as I can get. My shoulder is in the corner on one side and my feet are all the way on the other edge, to the point where sometimes my outside foot wants to fall off the edge. I'd have taken some pics if I wasn't alone.
    You didn't mention your height or the width of the hammock. I'm 5'11" and last year went with a 12' DIY hexon hammock - I'll never go back to a shorter hammock. The calf and heel pressure has been completely eliminated, and that's with a standard width hammock. I've yet to try the wide hammocks, but intend to for my next one.

I also use a DIY tent-style bugnet that encapsulates the hammock which allows me to have my arms/elbows on the edge or outside the hammock and my head to virtually rest on the rim of the hammock, which forms a pillow of sorts. It's super comfortable to not be constrained by the bugnet. The downside is that it takes a bit longer to setup. Meh.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast