Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Lot's of good advise. Even after quite a few years, I still have nights when my hang isn't quite right and I won't be as comfortable as I usually am. I love hammock camping but I do think it has a significant degree of "fiddle" factor that results from the number of variables. I'm surprised how different hammocks can feel so different despite being quite similar in dimensions and fabric type. I do think folks should try different hammocks and I do think a longer/wider hammock is more comfortable. I use the short ones because I'm fixated on weight but when I had an 11 ft hammock it was more comfortable. I think this is why some people return to the ground. They want it to work so badly but in the end they don't get comfortable enough on a regular basis and give it up. Having said that, give yourself some time and try different things because when it is good, it's really good!

Gideon

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, one bad night in a hammock would certainly not cause me to consider going back to ground. My first couple of years I suffered debilitating calf ridge and calf cramps. I was using hammocks with integrated bugnets because they seemed to make the most sense to me. Then I tried a simple, gathered-end BIAS Weight Weenie Micro 11 ft. x 60" wide hammock and there were no more calf cramps! I slept for nine hours straight, which had never happened before in an integrated hammock.

You can definitely say I was stubborn for suffering through calf cramps for two years. I was cheap and didn't want to buy any more hammocks. I spent many a night practicing in the back yard, trying to get it right. There was no way I was going back to ground.

One hammock that I really liked was the BIAS Hiker Lite polyester hammock - zero stretch. Unfortunately, I couldn't make the 55" width work for me - my feet were always popping out. I'm now using a 58" Dutch PolyD 1.4 hammock and it's great.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you do choose to switch you should find a hang and try one of the bridge hammocks. I slept in my Warbonnet Ridgerunner again last night testing a bit of gear and absolutely love it. I wish it was 5 inches wider but I still love it. The best thing I like about this hammock is the simplicity of it all. The under quilt simply connects at 4 points and there's no adjustments. Simplicity at it's finest.

I just converted to hanging as I was concerned that I would not be able to sleep on my stomach in one. Well, I did some reading and pulled the trigger on a WBRR, I love it! I just did a 3 night camp in it for the first time and ive never had that quality of sleep while camping! I am usually a stomach or side sleeper (never on my back even on my nice memory foam mattress), but I never rolled from my back during this trip! I did test it at home prior to the trip and had proven that I could sleep on my stomach if I had to, but didn't need to.

As far as your UQ, seems as if stuff sells real fast here for nearly retail prices, I would just sell it and buy one made specifically for the WBRR. I personally used a 1/2 inch CCF pad for mine this past weekend and 29F was tolerable for me.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Bridge hammock or even an AMOK D'raumr may be something to consider.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

If you can avoid wearing socks during your hang, you may find there is less heel pressure. Also, I am using a cut-down mesh laundry bag filled with Polyfill ( 28 in x 10in ) and 3in thick to insure no knee hyperextension.

Hammock
    Amok Dramur 2.0
    Tarp
    Amok Dramur 2.0
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Air Core
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Bridge hammock or even an AMOK D'raumr may be something to consider.
    Shug
    Shug,

When I decided last year to take up backpacking, I started searching for videos, and the Amok Dramur 3.0 review of yours was the very first YouTube video I watched about hammock camping. I was stunned, but also knew I couldn't afford one... so I watched your other videos, and bought a more 'traditional' hammock with bug netting (SnugPak Jungle XL). My first actual overnighter was not pleasant, and I am doing my first multi-day hike next week. I managed to find a new, in box Dramur 2.0 on eBay for $225 and it is sitting on my porch at home right now. I have sleep apnea, and have never been able to fall asleep on the ground. Thus, I am soooo thrilled to get this hammock. Just wanted to thank you for all your inspiring videos.

Rob+

When I first made my 11'6" hammock i put a deep sag in it cause i thought thats how mayan and other long hammocks are made. Couldn't get very comfy tried lots of different tricks. Finally I readjusted back to 83% and played with longer ridgelines. Now its about 10 foot and feels great for me. Calf ridge and heel preasure has been relieved. Im 6'4" and 350 lbs for reference.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It's true that hammocks are very personal. I had the same experience as SilvrSurfr with the BIAS 11' hammock.

Now I usually default to my WBRR. There's just something about that hammock that I love so much. Honestly, I think it's the saddle bags more than anything. I love having access to all my stuff without it being in the actual hammock with me. I also like an integrated bug net, and the RR seems to do this better than traditional gathered ends. With the net, quilts and other stuff can get zipped into the hammock and stuffed in the bottom of the pack. It's pretty much amazing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by g2outdoors View Post
    It's true that hammocks are very personal. I had the same experience as SilvrSurfr with the BIAS 11' hammock.

Now I usually default to my WBRR. There's just something about that hammock that I love so much. Honestly, I think it's the saddle bags more than anything. I love having access to all my stuff without it being in the actual hammock with me. I also like an integrated bug net, and the RR seems to do this better than traditional gathered ends. With the net, quilts and other stuff can get zipped into the hammock and stuffed in the bottom of the pack. It's pretty much amazing.
    I completely agree. I couldn't be more happy with my RR. Those saddle bags are great for organization while in the hammock. Plus the bug net stores neatly out of the way if it's not needed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast