Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    When I first got into DIY, I ran across some polyester fabric at the local Wally World and purchased 20 yards at $1.50 a yard. Not knowing any better, it was only 48 in wide and didn't lend itself to making a comfortable Gathered end... So for the past 3 years it's been sitting there with no purpose in life. Then after watching this series on Griz's Ariel, I thought "why not make your first one using the materiel you have sitting collecting dust.

It's not ultra-light at 1.9 oz per.. But it allowed me to "experience the build" without using more expensive light weight rip-stop. So here is the result of not being able to Hike or hang due to excessive heat. I still need to attach the end caps. Learned a bunch (Thanks Grizz ), but I still hate Algebra....

I used Grizz's dimensions and I'm still getting shoulder squeeze when I lie flat on my back. My fat belly barely fits in the 32in wide center. So a question for all you more experienced "bridge hammock" guys. Should I go with a wider spreader bar? (I'm using a pair of 36in wide bars now). On the next build, should I increase the width of the bridge?

I'm using soft shackles to connect the end suspension legs. I like that a lot.

Here are some pictures...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    HH and Eno Double
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    No need in FL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Rep Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Thats a pretty sweet rig. I'm liking the magnet system, well done.
    My barbers cape has the same type of connection, but I never thought of incorporating into a hammock

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    When I first got into DIY, I ran across some polyester fabric at the local Wally World and purchased 20 yards at $1.50 a yard. Not knowing any better, it was only 48 in wide and didn't lend itself to making a comfortable Gathered end... So for the past 3 years it's been sitting there with no purpose in life. Then after watching this series on Griz's Ariel, I thought "why not make your first one using the materiel you have sitting collecting dust.

It's not ultra-light at 1.9 oz per.. But it allowed me to "experience the build" without using more expensive light weight rip-stop. So here is the result of not being able to Hike or hang due to excessive heat. I still need to attach the end caps. Learned a bunch (Thanks Grizz ), but I still hate Algebra....

I used Grizz's dimensions and I'm still getting shoulder squeeze when I lie flat on my back. My fat belly barely fits in the 32in wide center. So a question for all you more experienced "bridge hammock" guys. Should I go with a wider spreader bar? (I'm using a pair of 36in wide bars now). On the next build, should I increase the width of the bridge?

I'm using soft shackles to connect the end suspension legs. I like that a lot.

number of folks have reported liking 40" spreader bars.
    For fabric width, work backwards from the middle. If 32" too narrow, do you think an inch more each side would suffice, maybe 2 inches?
    Supposing then for a 36" wide middle, with 8" deep suspension curve, gets you to 52" wide under the spreader.
    Good use for 1.50/yd fabric, a bit of practice!
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    number of folks have reported liking 40" spreader bars.
    For fabric width, work backwards from the middle. If 32" too narrow, do you think an inch more each side would suffice, maybe 2 inches?
    Supposing then for a 36" wide middle, with 8" deep suspension curve, gets you to 52" wide under the spreader.
    Good use for 1.50/yd fabric, a bit of practice!
    Thanks Grizz, I'll try the 40in spreaders first. Is there a ratio to the cat cuts for the suspension curve? Why not just reduce the suspension curve to say 5 or 6 in deep and leave the rest the same?

Very comfy for a side sleeper.... Btw, used your laser rig to lay this out. Pretty slick...

Thanks again...

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Thanks Grizz, I'll try the 40in spreaders first. Is there a ratio to the cat cuts for the suspension curve? Why not just reduce the suspension curve to say 5 or 6 in deep and leave the rest the same?

Very comfy for a side sleeper.... Btw, used your laser rig to lay this out. Pretty slick...

Thanks again...

the suspension curve is what pulls up the middle. Make it too flat and you get a bathtub effect.
    I don't go below 6", no particular math behind that one, I went to 5" once and thought it too shallow.

I bumped up the depth a bit to account for your increased mid-mass over me. With wider spreader bars
    you'll want to increase the width of the hammock body anyway, it's one of those pesky 'shallow angles amplify force' things
    having to do with the angle of the fabric as it reaches the spreader bar end. With the fabric you've got you might be able to
    get an effective, oh, I dunno, maybe 50" width under the spreader bar by making wider channels than I did on the Ariel.
    Leave the cuts at 7" and you've got 36" across the middle. Might work. Be sure those spreader bars are sturdy!
    Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Shortened Ariel Bridge
    Tarp
    Vented Half-Sock
    Insulation
    DIY synth UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Slap straps
    Images
    I've almost completed my shortened Ariel, thanks so much Grizz for your design and expertise that you have shared. I wouldn't have made nearly as nice of a hammock without your videos as guidance. I still need to add a small pocket for what will be my tarp on the head end, and a larger pocket on the foot end for my gear.

Everything was bought from dutchware gear 2.4oz hexon. I changed up the end caps a bit and shortened the hammock to fit my 5' 9" tall self and changed the arc depth by half an inch since I'm only 140

IMG_0595.jpg

I sleep in this hammock every night and sleep much better than I did in a bed or a gathered end hammock.
    Last edited by MonkeyWrench; 07-25-2016 at 04:31.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench View Post
    I've almost completed my shortened Ariel, thanks so much Grizz for your design and expertise that you have shared. I wouldn't have made nearly as nice of a hammock without your videos as guidance. I still need to add a small pocket for what will be my tarp on the head end, and a larger pocket on the foot end for my gear.

Everything was bought from dutchware gear 2.4oz hexon. I changed up the end caps a bit and shortened the hammock to fit my 5' 9" tall self and changed the arc depth by half an inch since I'm only 140

IMG_0595.jpg

I sleep in this hammock every night and sleep much better than I did in a bed or a gathered end hammock.
    wonderful! Glad this worked out for you.
    Grizz

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge

Thanks again...

The simple trick- add an air pad instead of an UQ- that pops you up a bit and lets you fit in a slightly tight bridge better.

Just a thought....
    Try a 40" spreader bar in the hammock you just made.
    On my micro bridges (26" bars) I have found that shortening the fabric under the shoulders helps to flatten the area and reduce shoulder squeeze without having to go bigger and bigger.
    I have gone down to a 30" fabric to 26" bar ratio.

Now the downside (which may not be) is that this changes the bridge and elevates the head end similar to a wedge shaped sleep apnea pillow would.
    And if you happen to have sleep apnea... well then you may find this a perfect system!

And if you don't- you can hang the foot end a bit higher to smooth things out.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Cogent, as always, Bill, despite introducing new variables. I've found that the more ways I find to adjust a hammock, the harder it is to figure out what the next prototype should look like.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    The simple trick- add an air pad instead of an UQ- that pops you up a bit and lets you fit in a slightly tight bridge better.

Just a thought....
    Try a 40" spreader bar in the hammock you just made.
    On my micro bridges (26" bars) I have found that shortening the fabric under the shoulders helps to flatten the area and reduce shoulder squeeze without having to go bigger and bigger.
    I have gone down to a 30" fabric to 26" bar ratio.

Now the downside (which may not be) is that this changes the bridge and elevates the head end similar to a wedge shaped sleep apnea pillow would.
    And if you happen to have sleep apnea... well then you may find this a perfect system!

And if you don't- you can hang the foot end a bit higher to smooth things out.
    Thanks Bill, I'll try all of your suggestions...

- Edmund Burke

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast