Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    i really love this bugnet magnet idea... i wonder if the material is going to "wear through" from the magnets or does the grograin protect it from that
    Don't think so, grosgrain is pretty tough. I found though that I needed tightly spaced stitches, up and back, to keep the magnet from popping through, e.g., to the metal plate on the side when I'm sewing the pockets!

Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue View Post
    Really like the design. Did you make all of this gear?
    If so, very impressive!
    Man, do I have a lot to learn.
    Hammock and bugnet all DIY. I've been at it off and on since 2007, hop in, the water's fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    You explain the spyderwire, but was there any particular reason to use the enduron for the ridge line over the more traditional Lash-it?
    Also, are you sure about that name? I'm having a hard time finding it.
    Used it because I have a roll of it, which I would have gotten some years ago.
    The name 'Enduron' (I think, I'm away right now) was on a sticker on the roll.
    I looked over the New England Ropes site. I see an 'Endura' line, and separately
    I see some 1.8 mm rope that looks like Lash-It or Zing-It. The stuff I have does not have
    the slippery coating that Zing-It has.

Would have used Zing-It if that's what I had laying around!
    thanks for watching closely.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    diy 10' tie dye
    Tarp
    PahaQue rainfly
    Insulation
    tiedye cs uq/tq
    Suspension
    soft shack/cinch b
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Don't think so, grosgrain is pretty tough. I found though that I needed tightly spaced stitches, up and back, to keep the magnet from popping through, e.g., to the metal plate on the side when I'm sewing the pockets!
    i meant the hammock material... would it wear through from being clamped on so much? i guess with the half net you don't remove the magnets to get in and out... i think i would prefer a full sized bugnet because i might need the bugnet in summer, but no topquilt... if i used this method, i'd need to open and close the magnets to get in and out, unless i used the Top Entry Detachable (TED) style with a fronkey style bottom which is what i now have (and which is prolly what i should just stick with). i'm not very good with the "if it ain't broke, don't fit it" philosophy, though... i just need to find some other application for your magnet pouches...

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I wouldn't worry much about the hammock fabric. Open question though if/how magnets holding bug net on gathered end will go. I would try deeper 'lip' in the net and denser placement of magnets.

A friend thought that the magnetic clips might be adapted to hold the edge of an under quilt to the hammock at the middle to close a gap.

Let a thousand flowers bloom!
    Grizz

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    You explain the spyderwire, but was there any particular reason to use the enduron for the ridge line over the more traditional Lash-it?
    Also, are you sure about that name? I'm having a hard time finding it.
    I remembered to dig out that roll of cord and check the name on the label. It is 'Endura', not 'Enduron'---a mind is a terrible thing to lose---and the German company behind the New England Ropes brand does not list 1.8 mm as an option. Too bad, I like the relative thinness such as you get with {Lash,Zing}-It, but without the slippery coating.
    Grizz

Hammock
    diy 10' tie dye
    Tarp
    PahaQue rainfly
    Insulation
    tiedye cs uq/tq
    Suspension
    soft shack/cinch b
    ok... so i HAD to use the magnets for something... while magnetic connectors for hydration systems is nothing new, maybe your idea of using grograin for magnet connectors is new.. every time we take our packs off, the kids' bite valves go right into the dirt (or much worse)... just a piece of grograin in a loop around the hose (with a small zip tie) and a piece of grograin in a loop around the backpack strap (with velcro)... a magnet in each... super easy...

IMG_3990.jpg

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I remembered to dig out that roll of cord and check the name on the label. It is 'Endura', not 'Enduron'---a mind is a terrible thing to lose---and the German company behind the New England Ropes brand does not list 1.8 mm as an option. Too bad, I like the relative thinness such as you get with {Lash,Zing}-It, but without the slippery coating.
    Thanks for checking. It sounds like something like Tech Line would be a worthy alternative.
    While the Ariel is great and all I wonder if you've burried the lead here so to speak. Has the Spyderline come up on this forum? Perhaps I just missed it. I'm really liking the idea of using it with a Becket Hitch on my hammock.

I've thought about the magnets before as well. I'd like to get some cuben tape and stick some magnets on my tarp so when I fold back the 'doors' they stay put. The trick will be finding a ballance. If its too small and strong it may tear through when you pull the panels apart.

A magnetic version of the hiking pole keepers you can get on Zpack's packs would be handy as well.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    ok... so i HAD to use the magnets for something... while magnetic connectors for hydration systems is nothing new, maybe your idea of using grograin for magnet connectors is new.. every time we take our packs off, the kids' bite valves go right into the dirt (or much worse)... just a piece of grograin in a loop around the hose (with a small zip tie) and a piece of grograin in a loop around the backpack strap (with velcro)... a magnet in each... super easy...

IMG_3990.jpg
    +1 on the application!
    Grizz

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Thanks for checking. It sounds like something like Tech Line would be a worthy alternative.
    While the Ariel is great and all I wonder if you've burried the lead here so to speak. Has the Spyderline come up on this forum? Perhaps I just missed it. I'm really liking the idea of using it with a Becket Hitch on my hammock.
    Spyderline is Old School. Do a search on HF with Spyderline as a keyword in a posting and you'll find the first reference dating back to Feb. 2007. Sort of disappeared from discussion once Amsteel and splicing hit the scene.

Me I only just learned about the Becket hitch because of relatively recent buzz on the forums, then saw that Derek Hansen had done a video on it a couple of years ago. Read what various folks were saying about it, verified that using it with Amsteel or dynaglide was not reliable, and remembered Spyderline. It weighs a little more than Amsteel of the same diameter, something like
    another 0.2 gram per yard, but in my admittedly limited experience so far has been doing a fine job of 'holding'. It appeals to me though, I like using knotwork.
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 05-24-2016 at 07:14.
    Grizz

Images
    Everything that's old is new again.

Hammock
    DIY bridge or BB Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Polysil gen 2
    Insulation
    CS UQ/ 20* bag TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    How about a quick and dirty diagram on the bug net. I just received my order from Dutch to make a second Ariel and I want to try the bug net you show in the video. I added the Spyder line suspension to my first one and I really like it. Just a little difficult to pull out the knot sometimes. The line seems to want to twist into a small ball as its being pulled out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast