Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

fixing a cold back?

My first night was a cool one, so i started looking in to ways to prevent it. I keep coming across a product called a Super Shelter, from Hennesse, which is also the hammoc I use. I have done a lot of reading and videos on it and I still can not figure it out. Anyone care to dumb that thing down for me? How does something that weighs 1oz help?
    Also, space blankets, what layer do they go in? Between bag and mat? Under the mat?
    Thanks folks, I understand these are likley redundant questions, I tried getting the information by searching, I really did. Eventually i would like to do this 4 season like we do on the ground
    Thanks!

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

fixing a cold back?

Get some popcorn and watch all of Shug's Videos on YouTube.

He doesn't go into great depth about the Hennessy, but it's mandatory watching for all beginners.

Tom Hennessy has on YouTube as well about the super shelter.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    like chef said; check out shug's videos.

when researching specifically, look for Hammock Underquilts.

cheers,

sv-

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex 11ft
    Insulation
    EE 30 deg 950 down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    My first hammock was a Hennessy Hammock. It was certainly better than sleeping on the ground. Shortly after getting it, I realized I needed some insulation and bought the super shelter. While it is certainly better than nothing, the problem is that it really only works with the Hennessy and over time, I have found I like other brands better. I would recommend getting an underquilt since you can use it better with other hammocks. It is also much easier to put on than the Super shelter with it's multiple parts. You can find synthetic underquilts reasonably priced.

Hammock
    Hennessy Backpacker
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pydpiper View Post
    My first night was a cool one, so i started looking in to ways to prevent it. I keep coming across a product called a Super Shelter, from Hennesse, which is also the hammoc I use. I have done a lot of reading and videos on it and I still can not figure it out. Anyone care to dumb that thing down for me? How does something that weighs 1oz help?
    Also, space blankets, what layer do they go in? Between bag and mat? Under the mat?
    Thanks folks, I understand these are likley redundant questions, I tried getting the information by searching, I really did. Eventually i would like to do this 4 season like we do on the ground
    Thanks!
    The layers are sleeping bag or quilt, you, hammock,space blanket, open cell mat then undercover. I have used it as it is sold to 15f. I am a warm sleeper and I was testing in my backyard. Hopefully that is the simple answer. The supershelter works for some but not for others.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I never had any interest in the HH Supershelter because it's a vapor barrier, and I get a lot of condensation. So do all three of my kids. We used ccf pads down to 22* F, and were absolutely soaked in condensation the next morning. That was the last night I ever slept with a pad; I bought an underquilt and haven't had a bit of condensation since.

And by the way, the Supershelter is not one ounce - it's 16.7 ounces. The foam pad is a vapor barrier, as is the space blanket, as is the silnylon undercover. They probably meant that the stuff sack weighs one ounce.

For that same $100, I'd recommend a Jarbidge UQ, which is good down to 25* F.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 05-10-2016 at 21:45.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you search the forum, you will find plenty of feedback on the SuperShelter. If I remember correctly, reviews are mixed. It works quite well for some, but less so for most. I would recommend to use that money for an underquilt. Synthetic underquilts are cheaper than down underquilts, but compared to down they are bulkier and heavier - unless you are looking for summer gear. Down is light and compresses well, but has its price. Especially if it's high fillpower.

You mentioned wanting to use your insulation four season. Unless you live in an area with constant temperatures year round, this won't work very well. You likely don't use the same sleeping bag in summer with temperatures of 80°F and up as you would in winter with temps below 32°F, or would you? You could buy a 0°F and use it all year, but this means that you are carrying more than you need to in summer.

If you only want one, get a 20° underquilt. It's the most versatile. In Winter you can always supplement with a foam pad. Until you're tired of the side effects (e.g. condensation) and get a dedicated winter underquilt

Asked and answered, thank you! I will look in to a quilt. I was intrigued by the weight of the SS, which iapparently had wrong. I wanted to stay light for backpacking and avoid a quilt.
    I am not a brand specidic guy, been on rhe fence about hammocs for a while as tou can tell by my join date, stumbled on a great deal on a new HH and grabbed it. So, while i have your attention, my son now wants one, what othwr brands should we consider in that price range? Everything I need to buy, I need 2 of.
    Again, thank you for the advice.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    AHE makes a great synthetic UQ well within most price points.

If doing severe cold weather Canada style, down will be a better, lighter, less bulky option.

I skipped the synthetic option myself, due to volume and weight penalties, and the type of hiking/camping I do. You'll need to make those decisions for yourself. I do know buying for the sake of cost savings alone, usually just leaves me having to eat the cost of it and the upgrade down the road.

Insulation is a hard DIY nut to crack as well. You can acquire the skills to make a quilt that performs as needed, but the savings are often minimal. Especially when you figure out just how little more, you do actually pay for cottage construction and straight stitching.
    Last edited by Rolloff; 05-11-2016 at 22:00.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast