DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Won't trust professionally sewn end channels, that have been successfully used since the beginning of ripstop camping hammocks......... but trust your life (???) to less than 1/8" braided rope spliced by an amateur.......... and then compare it all to a car crash???..........interesting.......

I guess I'm doomed to die from an 18" fall then....... if I ever fall........and am frail enough to be injured by said fall.....
    Who said I only hang 18" from ground.
    Me and a lot of others apparently like to take bigger risks on hang height,heights that will maim or kill you.

I only made the comparison between what happened because it is a sad fact that safety was not a factor in motor vehicles.
    The real point is just because people do things does not make it safe.
    Another point.firearm ownership is the highest in the US so it should be the safest country on earth ,but it isn't purely because of such high rates of firearm ownership.

As for amateur manufacture of whoopie slings,just when does one become a professional?
    There is nothing difficult about whoopie sling production as long as one follows the guidelines set by the rope manufacturer.
    I never heard of them until a couple of months ago and now I have 3 sets an one set of UCR's,all homemade thanks to the clever people on HF who have posted their experiences and results.
    I trust 3mm dynema due to its 1000kg breaking strain.
    Even with my 130kg weight I'm well within SWL limits

I did try 1.9 dynema SK75 Whoopie and UCR combo but the UCR broke when I shifted my weight all to one end to sit and read.
    Only rated at 375kg breaking strain so forces generated at the hang angle x my 130 kg weight just too much.
    That is why I tested the rig at home at 1' hang height instead of under a bridge on a track with a 12 m fall

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by jadekayak View Post
    Who said I only hang 18" from ground.
    Me and a lot of others apparently like to take bigger risks on hang height,heights that will maim or kill you.
    You did?

Usually only comfortable sitting height but ocassionally 15-20" up a tree and want to try a rock face sometime(I'm not really built for climbing)
    Maybe you meant 15-20 feet up a tree? When I read the above quote, I figured you were either being redundant, or you had a really low definition of 'comfortable sitting height' such that 15-20 inches would be at least slightly different.

And yeah, you mentioned hanging from a rock face, but I assumed that was a future plan, not something you were already doing.

Personally, I'm going to stick with the rule of not hanging over anything that I wouldn't mind falling onto. (And I would consider a 15-20' drop over even a fire department's air cushion to be something I don't care to try hanging over. If only because TERROR would keep me from falling asleep.)

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    You can't fall out of a tent.
    Thanks for the reminder. At a Scout camp sharing a canvas tent on a platform sleeping on cots with my young son in next cot over I heard a bump in the night. Looked over and he was gone! He had leaned up against tent wall, fallen off cot, slid between tent wall and platform and was out. I grabbed a flash light and went out and found him in the leaves next to tent platform with small raccoon. I thought Man, I have heard of campground raccoon being aggressive but this is ridiculous. Dragging a kid right out of bed into the woods. Turns out he had secretly packed one of his favorite stuffed animal buddies to come along with him. He slept through the whole thing.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'll stick with sewn end channels and Amsteel continuous loops - I've got six years of hanging with them. I'd be interested to know how one concludes hammocking is riskier than tent camping. I haven't seen any scientific studies on that.
    Picture worth a thousand words.
    Its not very SCIENTIFIC but it LOOKS a lot more dangerous than a tent on the ground
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by akaCat View Post
    You did?

Maybe you meant 15-20 feet up a tree? When I read the above quote, I figured you were either being redundant, or you had a really low definition of 'comfortable sitting height' such that 15-20 inches would be at least slightly different.

And yeah, you mentioned hanging from a rock face, but I assumed that was a future plan, not something you were already doing.

Personally, I'm going to stick with the rule of not hanging over anything that I wouldn't mind falling onto. (And I would consider a 15-20' drop over even a fire department's air cushion to be something I don't care to try hanging over. If only because TERROR would keep me from falling asleep.)
    Your right,I did mention comfortable sitting height.
    I also said I don't ONLY hang at those heights.
    I DO hang up trees quite high.
    So for only about16 feet high and the rock wall is in the future.
    See the photograph of the highwire group hang-now that's my idea of a great hang.
    Very easy to get to.
    Just use climbing gear to slide out,hang your hammock around you and your done.
    The view is breathtaking.

All I need to do is find a spot in NZ with the cable already set up and get permission.
    The channels on my DIY hammocks are sewn with std lightweight thread and gathered with plumbers line ant whoopie slings connected just under the knot,will never break or tear stitching because no stress on stitching.
    Only the hammock material to be concerned about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. At a Scout camp sharing a canvas tent on a platform sleeping on cots with my young son in next cot over I heard a bump in the night. Looked over and he was gone! He had leaned up against tent wall, fallen off cot, slid between tent wall and platform and was out. I grabbed a flash light and went out and found him in the leaves next to tent platform with small raccoon. I thought Man, I have heard of campground raccoon being aggressive but this is ridiculous. Dragging a kid right out of bed into the woods. Turns out he had secretly packed one of his favorite stuffed animal buddies to come along with him. He slept through the whole thing.
    Ok-fair enough.glad to hear no injuries or such.

The tents we have have waterproof bellypans and mesh flies built in.

The tent would restrain you before you got too far.

There are some older style tents where they only have walls,door and roof but they are antiquated and you could only roll through the wall if you didn't peg it down.

In my opinion any tent without a waterproof bellypan is not worth using in New Zealand because of very changeable weather.
    Who wants to stay nice and dry from a downpour only to be flooded out by ground water

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    Had a similar experience as a Scout years ago. The troop used surplus Army hex tents with a center pole and no floor. Our "floor" was a sheet of heavy poly. With the tent pitch on a slight incline the previous afternoon, I awoke in the morning several feet out of the tent on the downhill side. Somehow or another the other 4 or 5 guys were still inside. No raccoon though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234