HH Expedition Asym, side zip
    Tarp
    HH Expedition 70d
    Insulation
    Climashld UQ, bag
    Suspension
    HH tree-save strap

Hennessy bug net spreader mod?

I have a Hennessy asym expedition (zipper on the side, un-modded) that I've used for awhile now. I love it except for one thing; the bug net droops. I've tried various tensions and for awhile that helped but I'm back.

Does anyone have any tips for getting it back up & out of the way or mods they think might work? At first I debated on a ridge pole that goes up, over, & back down like the Lawson Blue Ridge. But trying to mod to match that setup just wouldn't be worth it for multiple reasons.

I've seen some hammocks that have dual external ridgelines that the netting attaches to but I don't know how I'd pull that off with the Henn. without replacing the net.

I'm thinking maybe a second internal ridgeline with a mini spreader bar or two pushing them apart?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by ZeroFlight; 05-09-2016 at 13:49.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Is your tarp connected to the hammock suspension? I felt that kind of configuration was impossible to manage, between trying to keep the tarp taut, and the ridgeline taut. I quickly moved to a separate tarp suspension and was able to get my 30* angle on the hammock while also having a taut tarp suspension.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Is your tarp connected to the hammock suspension? I felt that kind of configuration was impossible to manage, between trying to keep the tarp taut, and the ridgeline taut. I quickly moved to a separate tarp suspension and was able to get my 30* angle on the hammock while also having a taut tarp suspension.
    This
    And:

If tarp is already separate the suspension angle is either too steep or not adjusted to the proper length. This can take a couple tries if you're still using the stock suspension (I've changed it out on all 6 different hennessy's I've owned). The other thing, are you using the side tie outs on the hammock? Their purpose is to open up the hammock and pull the net away from you.

Last edited by Kallorne; 05-09-2016 at 13:44.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/OWL UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Whoopies
    Images
    You probably know this already but..
    On the Explorer there should be a little piece of shock cord with a clip on your right hip while you're laying in the hammock. You can run that up and over your ridge line and back down to a little plastic ring near your left shoulder. That should help you out a little.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    Quote Originally Posted by sanglin View Post
    On the Explorer there should be a little piece of shock cord with a clip on your right hip while you're laying in the hammock. You can run that up and over your ridge line and back down to a little plastic ring near your left shoulder. That should help you out a little.
    A couple weeks ago I asked Ann Hennessy to ask Tom about this shock cord and he told her it was designed for exactly what snaglin stated... holding up the bug net.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Expedition 70d
    Insulation
    Climashld UQ, bag
    Suspension
    HH tree-save strap
    I've only used the tarp twice so that hasn't factored in yet. I'm about to replace the stock one with probably a JRB 11x10 and separate it from the hammock itself.

When I can, I do use the side tie outs.

In many trips I hang a water bottle from and frequently stuff an eReader (about 1 lb) in the pocket that hangs from the ridgeline so maybe the extra weight pulled it a little loose at the knots.

I'm still using stock suspension though I'm about to switch up how I attach it to the trees - rap. rings to quick feed the stock rope.

I've never paid too much attention to the angle, rather always pulled it as tight as I could get it before hopping in.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Expedition 70d
    Insulation
    Climashld UQ, bag
    Suspension
    HH tree-save strap
    Quote Originally Posted by sanglin View Post
    Actually no, that's new to me. I always wondered about the clip. I'll have to check that out tonight!

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/OWL UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Whoopies
    Images
    Regarding the tarp:
    I've noticed this little trick with my HH and Hex rain fly. I'll hang my hammock with the rain fly connected to the suspension, then I'll sit down in the hammock which creates some dip in the ridge line, that allows me to get out and pull the tarp clips further out again so the rain fly is now off the HH and not drooping.

Works for the most part but certainly not an exact science.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Expedition 70d
    Insulation
    Climashld UQ, bag
    Suspension
    HH tree-save strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallorne View Post
    This
    And:

If tarp is already separate the suspension angle is either too steep or not adjusted to the proper length. This can take a couple tries if you're still using the stock suspension (I've changed it out on all 6 different hennessy's I've owned). The other thing, are you using the side tie outs on the hammock? Their purpose is to open up the hammock and pull the net away from you.

Nice, between that video and the shock cord trick I should be set. I'll give them both a try next time I set up and see if I can't get that net outta my face.

Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/OWL UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroFlight View Post
    Actually no, that's new to me. I always wondered about the clip. I'll have to check that out tonight!
    Awesome!

• + New Posts