DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Tomorrow I'll start a trip with more weight savings in mind. My typical pack weighs around 25lb including one can of beer for the first night. I can never do much better than that.

This time I'm looking at 22.7lb. I can get that to 21.45lb if I ditch the beer and saw, but being with another person it's nice to have a drink and cut some good firewood. So they'll stay in.

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Tomorrow I'll start a trip with more weight savings in mind. My typical pack weighs around 25lb including one can of beer for the first night. I can never do much better than that.

This time I'm looking at 22.7lb. I can get that to 21.45lb if I ditch the beer and saw, but being with another person it's nice to have a drink and cut some good firewood. So they'll stay in.
    Liquor is lighter than beer. Just sayin....

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    What sort of pack do you have?

I upgraded my 15 year old pack this year and was shocked at the weight savings. My old tank of a pack weighed in around 6-7 pounds. My new one is about 2 and can still comfortably haul 35 pounds which is more than I’ll ever need. It was also cheaper than what I had paid for the original pack.

My son uses a frameless pack which I am seriously considering. His base weight is only 15 pounds and he practically runs circles around me when we are hiking! . He creates a channel down the middle of the pack and puts everything in there with his thermolite seat along the back - works great. He said any more than 20 pounds or so and it gets uncomfortable.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    Liquor is lighter than beer. Just sayin....
    I used to take a small 4oz flask of whiskey...and a 16oz bottle of Coke LOL!

I've been considering a ULA Ohm for such a long time. But I like the packs I use now and I would only save about 14oz. I'm afraid I would be sacrificing comfort for that. I think I'll just give it a try though.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Not this week, but the next two weeks, I'll be taking my new kit to the woods too for a good shakedown run.

My Sheltowee Bonfire Whisper came in a little over expected finish weight, but the extra ended up a result of slight overfill, but at 1.9lb I think I can live with that. That leaves me right @10.6 BW. I'm sure to have a few additional add-ons, but pretty happy with that.

I still pack a small flask and might even fire up the Ribz pack for the more social events. Beer always tastes really good at those
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Started eleven years ago, pack weighed 32 pounds
    After a few backpacking trips started getting some weight out of pack
    My pack now will weigh 17 to 22 pounds.

But last night I did a quick solo overnight into Uwharries.
    None of my gear is ultra light, but I did not pack camp chair, shower shoes, extra socks, tarp, or food

Only things in pack: hammock, top and bottom quilts, oversized coffee kit, head lamp, morning reading paper, water filter and water bags to use with filter.
    I cowboy camped—no tarp!

Did not weigh my two real wood hickory hiking poles, since they weren’t in pack.

In morning, all I had for breakfast was two small mugs of coffee—94 ounces of creek water with a couple packets instant coffee.
    Total pack weight Nine Pounds! Not challenging any records—just a personal best.

I figure one or more of y’all have come close to breaking five pound barrier!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Started eleven years ago, pack weighed 32 pounds
    After a few backpacking trips started getting some weight out of pack
    My pack now will weigh 17 to 22 pounds.

But last night I did a quick solo overnight into Uwharries.
    None of my gear is ultra light, but I did not pack camp chair, shower shoes, extra socks, tarp, or food

Only things in pack: hammock, top and bottom quilts, oversized coffee kit, head lamp, morning reading paper, water filter and water bags to use with filter.
    I cowboy camped—no tarp!

Did not weigh my two real wood hickory hiking poles, since they weren’t in pack.

In morning, all I had for breakfast was two small mugs of coffee—94 ounces of creek water with a couple packets instant coffee.
    Total pack weight Nine Pounds! Not challenging any records—just a personal best.

I figure one or more of y’all have come close to breaking five pound barrier!
    Impressive Phantom! Wish I was there to witness it. I did get my drive shaft rebuilt this weekend so car is ready for our next Uwharrie adventure!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Congrats on your PR, Phantom!

Gotta have a very solid no-rain forecast to not carry a tarp. I'll carry the teensy DCF asym if there's even a whisker of a chance.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

You pack your fears. -- Sounds great! But I could not open your link :(

Quote Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
    As the well used backpacking quote goes, "you pack your fears" - and fears seem to be really heavy. I share in this blog how I overcame my fears and was able to carry a lighter load in doing so. Click below to read and if you do...thanks for reading.

~ Rob

Lighten The Load

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    2016 is like ancient history on the Web.

There are oodles of links if you google Ultralight backpacking. The link in my sig above is still good, and I must say I still prefer it because Mr Honan keeps things simple and not too preachy or deep into the weeds.

There's also the Ultra Lite Gear forum here on HF. It's for donating members and doesn't see a lot of activity, but there is, I think, some worthwhile content there that is specific to UL hammocking. The modest $10 donation also opens up several other forums with non-hammock type info.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast