Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Hammock - for female

I have been backpacking and hanging since August of 2015. I started with just the Grand Truck Skeeter Beater. Then I purchased a ENO JungleNest. Now of course I am looking to move to the next one. I am female, 5'3" on a good day, and about 125lbs. Things I am looking for are an integrated bug net (completely removeable is ideal), structural Ridgeline, light of course, and not too bulky. I was looking at the Blackbird and the Blackbird XLC. I really like that the Blackbird is 10 feet but the non removeable bug net is a sticking point. The XLC bugnet is removeable but it is longer. I have been looking and looking for Hangs near me (I am in Atlanta) but haven't had any luck. I would love to try them both before spending more money (last hammock purchase I kept telling myself). Also does anyone know of any groups are places to talk with other female hangers? If there are any female hangers in or near Atlanta, I would love to talk and see how you deal with certain issues. If there is a better place to post this or if I need to split it up please let me know.

I like my XLC a lot but I think you should expand your search to include Dream Hammock and maybe another vendor or two. The Smurfs will make your hammock to whatever length you desire.

The general consensus is that, all other things being equal (not easy to achieve...), a longer hammock offers more comfort. Of course, at 5'3" and looking to keep the hammock weight down for backpacking, 10' might be just the ticket.

I also like integrated nets but a lot of backpackers opt for a Fronkey or similar. Something to consider.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    You might be looking for a Dream Hammock Dangerbird or Sparrow. I have a 10' Freebird with a separate net myself; very comfy. http://www.dream-hammock.com

Not sure about the women in your area, but there is a sticky for female hangers here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mockers-thread

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Welcome to HF. While we do not have a specific area set aside for woman we do have a thread running that addresses a number of items that woman face when hammock camping. It is HERE

The size, length of a hammock that is comfortable is pretty much a personal thing. I prefer an 11' Duthware but also have no issues using my Hennessy Hammock Explorer. The Explorer with it's bug net gets all my "bug season" use because of the bug net. What I did was send my HH off the a vendor called 2QZQ and had the Mod 4 done to it. With the MOD 4 I can unzip both sides of the bug net, roll it back, and tuck it into the bag Donna provides with the MOD.

If you are looking for a completely removable bug net please take a few and check out the Fronkey style net. Dutch sells those and they will fit any gathered end hammock 11' and less. You can use it during bug season and leave it home when you don't want the extra weight/protection offered.

You will find many cottage vendors on this forum who can customize a hammock to your liking. Bad news is custom work does take time. So be prepared to wait a bit.

Please take the time to check out the sticky posts at the top of each section. You will find a lot of good information there. Be prepared for information overload When you are done here jump on over to Google Shug on You Tube. His videos will not only help you to hang but will keep you laughing for hours. Just be prepared because an entire afternoon will pass you by as you watch and learn. The next place to check out is The Ultimate Hang. Derek does a good job of making everything hammock easy to understand.

Good luck on your adventure. Just remember to hang you own hang because what works for one of us may not work for you.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the forum from Marietta, GA! Happy hanging!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I hope you can try an 11 ft before you buy. I'm only 5'5" - a giant compared to you and I have both 11 and 10 ft hammocks and am comfortable in both. BUT - when camping, the 10 ft hammock gives me more choices of tree support because they can be closer together. Something we non-basketball players have to consider is how high up the tree we can reach to attach the suspension. You might measure how high you can comfortably reach - not your max reach - then, using the hammock Hang calculator, and your 10 ft hammock, see what range of tree distances will keep the suspension point at or below that comfortable height.

Consider this on a completely removable bug net - a reason for that feature would be to allow you not to take it. But then you have to make a decision to take it or not. And if you make the wrong decision - bugs show up and you don't have it - it won't be your best night. The Blackbird you mentioned doesn't allow for a completely removable net, but it can be rolled up, mostly out of the way. Or, you could get a completely separate net like something from the BIAS vendor. Very light weight so you could always have it with you (or not) and you could save money by getting a hammock without any bug net.

My point is the focus on "removable" - which means zippers, and zipper issues, and extra labor and cost. I'd advise something you could tuck away (like the BlackBird or Ridge Runner), or a light weight separate like the BIAS Nano Buginator SUL at 5 oz.

ENO's netting is about half the price at almost three times the weight. Other vendors, including WarBonnet, sell a separate net.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The Terminator ( 5ft 3 ) has a BB 1.0 DL which she has used since 2010 and the past 2 years she also has been using a Ridge Runner. Both have an integrated bug net and while they can not be removed, the BB net can be tossed to on side and the RR bug net can be stored at the foot end. She likes having an integrated bug net as it keeps her TQ, pillow ect from falling out of the hammock.

At a recent hang she used her BB for the first time in two years and commented she had forgotten how comfortable it was. It is also large enough that one morning I went to wake her up and found she managed to turn around in the hammock that night.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DH Darien/DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx, HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    My Dream Hammock RoamingGnome is 10 ft., and the bug net has zippers on both sides. I'm 5'2" and find it very comfy.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Since your oogling the WB BB...check out their Traveler Hammock also and you can get the separate bug net or go fronkey style
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Try making it yourself.
    That way you get exactly what you think you want and have a bit of fun on the way.

Also your own choice of colour and material

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast