Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Ridge runner
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx UQ

Any opinions on new 2.4 oz Ultimate Hammock straps?

Any opinions on this product? Nice and light. Can't say I see any drawbacks to it.

Link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-every-hammock

Images
    It is an interesting and innovative design.
    I think they should include the weigh of the carabiner since it is required to attach a hammock to these straps.

example: WB strap system 6.4 oz. for everything.
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...es-suspension/

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Can't see any advantages either. Not sure why I need a 10 ft. strap. Just looks like an ENO slap strap that weighs a bit less.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    That's exactly what it is. I do not understand why folks want to use twice the material doubled up to make loops as opposed to using a simple buckle with a single strap.

I guess it's from all these "commercial" hammocks that come with a caribiner as an attachment point. Got to have something to clip to because it didn't come with straps to begin with. That's the real issue.

In that regard, who can blame someone for coming up with a better product, which this is, for the need it fills. It's still not as simple and straightforward as a webbing strap and buckle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    my eno atlas straps are used in my closet now. the loops give me more places to hook hangers for my shirts and such. one pair for $25 is a bit much for fancy tree straps/coat hanger holders. nice design though.
    Last edited by JmBoh; 05-07-2016 at 01:00.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    A light version of atlas straps, would work well with soft schackles
    I prefer whoopies and tree huggers.
    Last edited by Tacblades; 05-07-2016 at 05:40.
    Tacblades

I note that the lighter version of the strap is rated for something like 850 pounds. The version rated for 1600 pounds weighs 4 ounces. Aren't most tree straps we commonly use rated in the 1200-1600 pound range? I think Hennessey straps are. Dutchware has tree huggers rated at 1500 pounds.
    Last edited by sidneyhornblower; 05-07-2016 at 04:20. Reason: Added Dutch specs.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I love my Atlas Straps, they are ridiculously fast and simple to use. Much simpler than whoopies/straps/MSH, for instance. I'd be interested in a lighter-weight version.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The thing is for many people, this kind of strap is dead-simple, and that's great when entering into a new type of kit. I think it's a great alternative for those of us who aren't super-nerds with their hammocking gear.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    I love my Atlas Straps, they are ridiculously fast and simple to use. Much simpler than whoopies/straps/MSH, for instance. I'd be interested in a lighter-weight version.
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincoupal View Post
    The thing is for many people, this kind of strap is dead-simple, and that's great when entering into a new type of kit. I think it's a great alternative for those of us who aren't super-nerds with their hammocking gear.
    I still fail to see how its simpler than a single strap with loop on one end to go around the tree, and a webbing buckle? Whoopies certainly can be less simple, but put a spider on said strap and that setup becomes even simpler than the buckle, and lighter. Plus, besides the extra material, think about the labor to sew these loops correctly for strength - and the end cost you pay for that.

Again, if you've got a hammock with nothing but a caribiner on it and you need something to hang it with, then at first glance these types of straps seem much simpler as an add on. But is it really simpler than taking a buckle on an amsteel loop and attaching it to the hammock instead of a caribiner, then having a lighter tree strap? Or is it just simpler to buy commercially?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast