Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Video: Hiking with a Hammock in Finland

My ongoing series of Finland's national parks continues! This time I headed to the Isojärvi (Big Lake) National Park and ended up hiking an about 15 mile long loop which circled the park in almost it's entirety. Check it out, if you're in the mood for a hiking video. English subtitles are available.

https://youtu.be/o2qeEDCWMAU

Great report! Only had time to watch half so far, but I'll check out the rest. Enjoyed the Finnish & subtitles. Watch out for the North American beavers, nature's engineer!
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Woodsman X/Trail Lair
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Ice age? Pfff giants I tell you! Everyone knows that.

There was still a lot of ice there. Beautiful nature though!

Unusual cooking stove/pot system. Never seen that one before. What kind of backpack were you using? It looked a bit like the ULA Circuit.
    I keep learning and will never know enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    Great report! Only had time to watch half so far, but I'll check out the rest. Enjoyed the Finnish & subtitles. Watch out for the North American beavers, nature's engineer!
    Thanks! I do my best with the translations. I would say it's probably the part that requires the most thinking work with these videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_1 View Post
    Ice age? Pfff giants I tell you! Everyone knows that.

There was still a lot of ice there. Beautiful nature though!

Unusual cooking stove/pot system. Never seen that one before. What kind of backpack were you using? It looked a bit like the ULA Circuit.
    Thanks for the comment. There sure are a lot of trolls, giants, elves, gnomes and other creatures in Finnish mythology.

I like to carry the smaller, hard anodized Trangia 27, if I plan to cook and simmer. I used to carry a Vargo titanium set, but got tired of how bad it was in the wind even with a wind screen. I would love to try out a ULA pack, but that's just not easily possible in Finland, instead I went with an Exped Thunder backpack. I really like it so far, but we'll see how it fares in the long run.

Hammock
    WBRR-WBBB
    Tarp
    Cloudburst-Hanger
    Insulation
    NeoAir-Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch hook
    Beautiful trip report! Really enjoyed it. Hope to visit your country soon and to hike the Ruka Oulanka. And discover other National Parks of Finland later. Your vids are helpful.
    Last edited by Hiker Philly; 05-07-2016 at 05:49.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    Loved the video! It reminds me of the Boundary Waters of Ely Minnesota as ice out is about the same time. You need to start trapping the Beavers or they will over take you plus you can make some neat hat/mittens from their skins. Just a note: had to find you on YouTube to get subtitles, makes learning Finnish easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    BMJ Spinn.& DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Great video and I enjoyed the scenery of the park. Thanks especially for all the extra work of making the subtitles and descriptions along the way. I'll be looking forward to your next video and thanks for taking us along.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker Philly View Post
    Beautiful trip report! Really enjoyed it. Hope to visit your country soon and to hike the Ruka Oulanka. And discover other National Parks of Finland later. Your vids are helpful.
    I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the video. I wonder, are you going to hike the Bear's "loop" which is Finland's most popular hiking trail? I've been to Oulanka only once and it's a really beautiful place.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoefor2 View Post
    Loved the video! It reminds me of the Boundary Waters of Ely Minnesota as ice out is about the same time. You need to start trapping the Beavers or they will over take you plus you can make some neat hat/mittens from their skins. Just a note: had to find you on YouTube to get subtitles, makes learning Finnish easier.
    There's definitely some kind of a connection between Finland and Minnesota. Those early Finnish settlers didn't travel there without a reason!

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBee View Post
    Great video and I enjoyed the scenery of the park. Thanks especially for all the extra work of making the subtitles and descriptions along the way. I'll be looking forward to your next video and thanks for taking us along.
    Thanks and I'm glad to hear the scenery came through, even with just an action camera.

Hammock
    WBRR-WBBB
    Tarp
    Cloudburst-Hanger
    Insulation
    NeoAir-Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jari Perho View Post
    I wonder, are you going to hike the Bear's "loop" which is Finland's most popular hiking trail?
    Yes, i am planning to hike the Bear's-trail and look realy forward to it.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Great video. Well done. Spent several years in Iceland but never made it your way. The giants and trolls can be a problem especially the trolls at Christmas.
    Take care and thanks for sharing your beautiful country side with us.
    Al

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast