Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I fold the fabric over to make a channel, put a cord (amsteel, dynaglide, or utililty cord) through the channel, and burn holes just inside the channel so I can larkshead the small ropes around the cord. Depending on the strength of the hammock fabric, I may fold it double to make the channel, and fold it over at least 2" to spread the force on the fabric near each hole. It's good to avoid an abrupt transition from very strong to very weak, so tapering reinforcement layers is a good practice. I suggest using 200 lb. test dacron hollow braid kite line for the small cords. It's much cheaper than spectra, and the larger diameter cord means there is enough friction in the larkshead knot alone to hold it while you are adjusting cord lengths. After you get close to the lengths you want, bury the tag end of the larkshead to make it really secure. Use a long enough cord that you can leave the end out for adjustment. (It's actually a whoopie sling with a larks head in the loop portion.) If your clews are already made with a different type of cord that you can't splice that way, go ahead and use them anyway, and after you make the larkshead knot try a tautline hitch with the tag end instead of a bury. Good luck!

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    WB-BB 1.7DBL WB-RR 1.1DBL
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images

Lightbulb

a thought on mindset/emotion ( ? ) while sleeping in gathered end verses "90 degree" (Amok).
    While both are ways to sleep in the woods, they both felt emotionally different to me. While I was initially intrigued by the lounge style of the Amok, during a season's nights ~30? , never got the same sort of safe-sheltered mother's-womb dead-to-the-world sleep I get in my WB Blackbird. And my wife didn't last more than a week in her Amok before going back to her gathered end (Hennessy, though now she uses a WB Ridge Runner, luv's it.)

FFT, YMMV,
    : ) Thom
    Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon - Accrete.com
    mine:WB-BB hers:WB-RR, 2xWB SuperFly

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Snowball, I followed your link in post #22. Good idea. It also helps to position the hole over a piece of wood with a larger hole drilled in it so you can poke the soldering iron all the way through. Then I read through the rest of that thread. I had somehow missed the end of it (after my last post there.) You have come a long way! I'll be asking you for advice from now on. (I have always learned things from your posts.)

accrete, that's a wonderful contribution to this thread. It helps to be reminded how delightfully complicated this whole business is, and not just with physical details like tiny whoopie slings. Here's a question: are dreams likely to be different in a hammock (or in different style hammocks)?

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Snowball, I followed your link in post #22. Good idea. It also helps to position the hole over a piece of wood with a larger hole drilled in it so you can poke the soldering iron all the way through. Then I read through the rest of that thread. I had somehow missed the end of it (after my last post there.) You have come a long way! I'll be asking you for advice from now on. (I have always learned things from your posts.)

accrete, that's a wonderful contribution to this thread. It helps to be reminded how delightfully complicated this whole business is, and not just with physical details like tiny whoopie slings. Here's a question: are dreams likely to be different in a hammock (or in different style hammocks)?
    Not sure if they are different but the last two years hammocks has been the theme in many of mine. Sadly some of the theories don’t work when my eyes are open
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    20160514_113738.jpg20160514_114834.jpg
    I keep going back to the idea of adding a foot box to one side of my 13 x 9 dl tcf gathered end. I sit in it at 90 a lot and I love it. I think with a foot box and maybe a sewn sleeve for a pad to slip in between the layers it would be very similar to the 90 degree or ergo but with fabric rather than lines or straps. The down side I see right off is no way to adjust anything. Any thoughts? I'm gonna start on a try using WV method and see how it goes.

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    WV approximately how long are your lines on the sides? Im trying to figure out how much cord Im gonna need to get started.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    If the fabric is a rectangle you will always lay in an arc.
    The better way IMO is to make the sides as a triangle or use lines. If the triangle is fabric you need to reinforce with webbing or similar because the tip of the triangle will not be able to take the load.
    Make a scale paper model, it will give you a better understanding and you can take measurements.

The length of the lines will vary depending on if they are in the outer ends or in the center+ the outgoing angle you want.

Edit:
    This may give you some ideas
    Last edited by Snowball; 05-14-2016 at 14:54.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    WOW. That is exactly the thread I've been looking for. Could I please suggest a sticky for diy 90 degree right angle etc.I tried for days searching in the search feature and could not get to that info. The prototype that snowball made is what I wanted to see. I notice that the thread died out after that. What ever happened with that design snowball???

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    I have a set of xxl clew nettles that I made for an attempt at a Navy hammock.I was thinking about trying to incorporate those into the sides but I think WV idea of whoopies that would allow adjustment is more practical.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast