Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie

Sweat Sock

As a newbie the price difference between a bug net and Dutch's Argon vented sock are puzzling. The vented sock looks much more useful.

Understanding how subjective temperatures are, how hot might one be able to go in a Winter sock prior to turning ones self into a steamed dumpling? Is it just math - expect to be 10-15 degrees hotter?

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    As a newbie the price difference between a bug net and Dutch's Argon vented sock are puzzling. The vented sock looks much more useful.

Understanding how subjective temperatures are, how hot might one be able to go in a Winter sock prior to turning ones self into a steamed dumpling? Is it just math - expect to be 10-15 degrees hotter?
    Hello , these are two completely different functioning pieces of gear. I own the Dutch argon windsock & it works great for supplementing a winter set up & for cool evenings. I would not recommend it for summer at all, you would cook & then when you want fresh air , you no longer have bug protection.

Like layers of clothes you would not wear a windbreaker in the summer or a tank top in the cold of winter. Fronkey bugnet for that warm / hot season giving you all around ventilation & bug protection & windsock as stated above.
    Hope that helps
    Hang loose
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Not clear if you want to use it in winter or summer. But my wife doesn't want to deal with zippers, so for 3 season use, I ordered a Dutch Netless and summer sock for her. Syntax77 has a video where his girl friend is using one.

For the same price, we preferred the summer sock to the Fronkey. She hasn't tried it yet but it looks that it's going to do fine.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've been kicking around getting a Fronkey or a summer sock for a while. Sock seems cool because it'll protect the underquilt and on hot nights with no underquilt, be an extra layer of shielding from wind. I love the design, I just wish I could get it with a quick exit zipper.

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrogen View Post
    I've been kicking around getting a Fronkey or a summer sock for a while. Sock seems cool because it'll protect the underquilt and on hot nights with no underquilt, be an extra layer of shielding from wind. I love the design, I just wish I could get it with a quick exit zipper.
    It should'nt be hard to add one, good DIY project. I ordered a sock for the same reasons you're listing.

My experience is that winter sock adds very little warmth. Instead, it blocks wind that can steal warmth from quilts, so the primary benefit is prevention of heat loss.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    To be clear, my thinking was the sock could serve as a bug net in temps lower than 60. Complimenting an UQ if needed. For hot summer nights I get that a bug net is the way to go. And I eventually will have one but thought the argon sock offered some dual use possibilities. And I thought a bug net might be an easier DIY than a sock.

" I own the Dutch argon windsock" - I greatly appreciate your experienced response. You mention "supplementing a winter set up" - I get that. Its designed use. But you also say "cool nights" - which is what I was thinking. Going n a hike in June (summer?) where night time temps will be 40-50F.

Hammock
    Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbige + Snivler
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    I have a dutch winter sock. I don't think it's something I'd use unless I have to, though, i.e. it's cold and drafty. It's one more piece of stuff to set up (same applies to a bug net, I guess), but it's also putting a black sock around you. Changes the hammock from being a pleasant thing to lounge in, to being a mildly claustrophobia-inducing cocoon that's hard to get in and out of. Only good for sleeping in - not something you'd want to lounge in at that point. Cuts down on the view. I don't have a bugnet, but I imagine that would apply less in that case; even if I was just as trapped, at least I could see out of it.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0/WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incubator/Lynx
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Whoopie
    To be clear, my thinking was the sock could serve as a bug net in temps lower than 60.
    Honestly, if you are staying out in temps in the 50s or lower, you probably won't need a bug net at all. The bugs aren't very active at these temps. They prefer hot, muggy, 70+ degree nights. And when it gets that hot, you definitely don't want that sock. I'm sweating just thinking about it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Ok, feedback from actual owners is mixed. Sock is great at what it does, what it does is not what I wish to use it for. Or better - I wish to use it for primary purpose and extend it a bit. So the sock is great but I get the idea I am looking for to much out of it.

So I am looking closer at the summer sock - seems like a bug net (not claustrophobic) with some added under-quilt or bare bottom protection.

I understand there may be considerable head scratching on this (if he wants a bug net, why doesn't the idgit just buy a bug net). In the area I camp in (Adirondacks NY) I do in fact encounter cool nights and hungry bugs. Maybe not at same exact time but certainly within same 24 hours. I know of at least two other vendors that sell a top cover, cover not quilt. The idea of starting the evening with screen up and than pulling the wind break argon up in the wee cool hours seems attractive.

Do not wish to ask for advice, get it from experienced users, and than not be appreciative.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast