Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Down underquilt recommendation

I bought my first hammock (halfwit) and tarp from Dutch a few months ago. Woohoo! Had a chance to spend a couple nights in it and I am hooked. I may only go back to the tent for specific occasions. That being said, I want to invest in a good underquilt. I backpack mostly in Colorado, and not in the winter. However, at higher elevations it can get down to the 30s in the summer. I want a down underquilt, full length or maybe 3/4, and am looking for something that is light. Money is not an issue, but I do want a value. My initial thought was a 30 or 40 degree option. I welcome your input. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Don't push the temperature rating too close on a quilt until you learn how you sleep with one. If money is no issue and you want lightweight...look at a 20° 950 fill power quilt.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    You are going to get as many different responses to this question as there are vendors on this forum and none of them will be wrong. You need to do a bit of homework. Here are the type of question I would be asking myself and the cottage vendors here.

1) Lowest temp rating I will use the equipment in then ask the vendors what they have to cover you BELOW that rating. You can always vent if you get warm but it's a bit more difficult to compensate for colder.

2) Weather conditions...do you need dri down type product or will you not be subject to wet and cold.

3) Do you want full length or will 3/4 do the trick. Only you can decide that. You can save carry weight if you use 3/4 but I sleep way too cold and squirm too much to want to use a foot pad.

4) How wide do you want it? The wider it is, the more shoulder coverage you will have.

5) Baffles? What kind do you think will work best for you. Call or PM 3 or more vendors to get their input here. Ask about what kind of baffles they use and why then make up your own mind.

6) Time frame you want the item in. Some vendors can ship next day if you want a stock item. Others only do custom orders and the wait can be 6 to 12 weeks out.

7) Colors? Some people really want specific colors and some vendors don't carry the color or even fabric you might like.

This is just a starting point. You have to decide what you want and when you want it. Everyone here will have their favorite vendor based on their needs which may be very different from yours.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    good comments so far. this gives me the opportunity to say the following:

forget the 3/4. go full length. the weight savings doesn't add up to a net positive benefit, all things considered.

if in doubt; go zero degree.

cheers

sv

Agreed you will get alot of different opinions on vendors. If I planned on having lows in the 30's, I would want a 20 degree UQ to have a margin of safety in case the lows dip down. Lived and camped in CO for 10 yrs before moving to MI a couple of years ago. Would hate to be a days worth of hiking away from the car and not have warm enough gear.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I own both a 3/4 and full length down quilt and I use the 3/4 length almost exclusively. Both are 20* quilts which does well for 3 seasons one mountain range to the west of you. Easy to vent if it's too warm. I use the 3/4 because it's easier to close the gap at the foot end of the hammock and for me less finicky, less bulky and saves some weight and I always have a pad with me anyway. In short, I'm, more comfortable with 3/4 than full length quilts. My wife is just the opposite thus why I own both. Having tried a few different makes my preferred maker is hammock gear, not only is the craftsmanship superb but they nail my idea of value. Highest quality materials, excellent service and support, products that exceed my expectations every time and priced competively. The same can be said of all our wonderful vendors. As Dkurfiss suggests I would contact at least 3 of them and see for yourself which can meet your needs. Most will readily do custom work for you as well.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    20* full length (relative to your height...see vendors recommendations) and that will allow a solid buffer of warmth with zero worries.
    Choose a 850 plus power dry down.
    As a vendor goes ...choice is yours but I'll plug UGQ
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    One thing I would advise is carrying a quilt that will be rated at least 10 degrees below the temps you expect. If you're going out in any kind of wilderness, then whatever information the Weather Channel or Accuweather offers you is not particularly useful. I remember a night where the traditional web weather services told me I could expect low temps around 18* F. When I got to camp at 6 pm, it was 13* F, and eventually, it got down to -3* F. Luckily, I was extra cautious that night (car camping) and stacked my 0* quilts with my 20* quilts, so I was toasty warm.

When I only had 20* quilts, I often got into situations where the temps dropped below the quilts' rating. I spent many a cold night, before switching to the 10* F cushion between expected temps and my quilts' rating. Of course, I have three quilts, 40*, 20* and 0*, so I can be choosy. However, 70% of the time I use my 20* quilts so I consider them to have the greatest utility in the Northeast.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I agree with those who advise at 20-degree or lower rating. Hanging in the air, in the mountains at elevation, in a breeze, is dang colder that some TV show temp forecast, in my experience.

My opinion is you don't need a full-length as your head will be on a pillow (insulation) and in an insulated hat/cap and perhaps with a Buff or other around your neck. Also, if you sleep curled, your feet won't be extended anyway.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Dutchware halfwit
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie sling
    You might would look into a under quilt protector. I love my 3/4 under quilt and using a under quilt protector in windy weather helps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast