WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Received shipping notice with a surprise - warning to Canadian buyers

Let me first state that I do buy a lot online, did for many years. I've been burned by carriers charging outrageous brokerage fees. Learned that the best way, is to use USPS for shipping from US to Canada. I know that cottage makers are busy at this time of year, it is not an excuse.

Received shipping notice from Warbonnet Outdoors, wait time: 2 1/2 weeks.

Here's the thing, on the WB site, under shipping, it is stated:

We normally ship US Postal Service Priority Mail (both domestic and Internatinoal)
    (typo is not mine)

On my order details, it is stated:
    Shipping: $41.90 via Priority Mail International® (6 - 10 business days)
    On the shipping notice, here's what I saw with horror:

your order (#*****) was shipped via DHL Express
    Fortunately, I check my mail real time and I know that it's not actually shipped, they just filled out the label. I contacted Warbonnet by phone (voice mail) and email. Finally, I got an answer (from Ryan) saying that they will change the shipping to USPS.

BTW, their phone number is not listed on the web site.

So the warning to potential Canadian buyers: make sure that Warbonnet is going to use USPS and even then, check your email often because they might use another carrier.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Usps is definitely the way to go for Canadians. For years I never was dinged border charges with usps but the last year or so it's been 50/50. It appears they are getting more stringent so don't be surprised if you have to pay some taxes.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    I'm in a very small town as well. I thought Canada customs assigned the taxes owing.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I order frequently from US vendors and, in my case, if the value is below $100 or so, I'm never charged anything. But to my surprise, when I ordered my UQ from Hammock Gear, I wasn't charged any taxes by Canada Post. It could be related to the port of entry, in that case it was Toronto.

I still don't understand why Warbonnet would use DHL to Canada though. They've been around for a long time and they know that we get hit by brokerage fees by those couriers.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    My last order from Warbonnet was shipped via DHL as well. It was not a nice experience. DHL charged me extra for doing the customs work for me. All orders sent via USPS go directly to my customs office with no extra charge. But the DHL service charge was not overly expensive *if* they would have done their job. But instead they asked me to send them a detailed statement with product pictures (!) of what was in the parcel. And then they charged me incorrectly - I paid a lot more than I would have needed to. When I complained and asked for a refund, I was asked to write a second statement and add the customs numbers and fees! Two weeks after sending them my statement, I contacted them again and asked when I could expect a refund. I was told that it takes at least 9 months!!! to deal with my complaint. I have no idea what their "service" charge is for... I had a lot of extra work and paid at least 50 EUR more than I would have needed to, excluding the DHL charges. I'm never ever going to use DHL for commercial orders again.

I actually checked the WB site to see if I had accidentally checked the wrong box and asked for DHL - but I was only shown USPS. I thought it was a one-time thing and my mistake, so it's helpful that you posted your experience. The next time I order with WB, I'm definitely going to ask for USPS. If DHL is the only option, I'm not sure if I would order again.

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    @ hutzelbein, thank you for posting your experience with DHL. I also checked my order details and the WB site for the shipping option. I would like to understand why WB does such a thing. They've been around long enough to know better.

All things considered, my online buying experience with WB hasn't been joyful so far. Hopefully, the product is going to be worth it.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockCanoe View Post
    @ hutzelbein, thank you for posting your experience with DHL. I also checked my order details and the WB site for the shipping option. I would like to understand why WB does such a thing. They've been around long enough to know better.

All things considered, my online buying experience with WB hasn't been joyful so far. Hopefully, the product is going to be worth it.
    Safe to assume you contacted WB to discuss why they wanted to ship your order via DHL? If not, you might consider it.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Safe to assume you contacted WB to discuss why they wanted to ship your order via DHL? If not, you might consider it.
    Sure did.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    You're lucky you got your HG UQ without having to pay. Not so for my UQ, and it was sent USPS. The worst was I was taxed on the dollar when I received it, which was .30 different than when I bought it - bad timing.

Anyway, it's not always guaranteed, but USPS definitely is the way to go for that 50/50 chance. Good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    You're lucky you got your HG UQ without having to pay. Not so for my UQ, and it was sent USPS. The worst was I was taxed on the dollar when I received it, which was .30 different than when I bought it - bad timing.

Anyway, it's not always guaranteed, but USPS definitely is the way to go for that 50/50 chance. Good luck!
    I always expect to pay taxes (and it's always on the CAN$ value) and this is normal. But the point is when the vendor uses a courier like DHL, outrageous brokerage fees are always going to be added on top. It almost doubles the total cost of the order.

That's why shipping via USPS is selected, and later on confirmed by email, when placing the order.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast