Eldorado
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Yes I too got JACKED! On my WWBB, superfly and yeti I had to pay 134 CND dollars...not a happy Canadian shopper!

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Yes I too got JACKED! On my WWBB, superfly and yeti I had to pay 134 CND dollars...not a happy Canadian shopper!
    Could you give more details? Taxes on the can$ value is normal and expected. Was it shipped USPS or DHL?

Images
    What I have gotten out of all this is that Everybody charges Customs duties, but everybody except US postal charges some kind of brokerage fee in addition to duties. Also customs fees may vary depending on province. I want to say in regard to US postal duties, some of that is duty and some of it may be the postage cost for the canadian post part of the transit...Like the US Postal price only gets it to the border and then Canada post charges delivery cost from there to you plus import duties. (I could be confused as to which shipper results in that last part though)

What I don't get is why there are customs duties in the first place, we're both members of NAFTA, the numbers I'm hearing (134 CND) seem like full-on high duties, not reduced at all, and certainly not Free trade. Is camping gear exempt from NAFTA or something? This is ridiculous...Its one thing to use duties to protect industry from rock bottom production costs from a third world country, but what is the argument for placing those sanctions on goods that are comparable in price to what could be made in Canada? Have we all been misled to believe there is a free trade agreement when there actually isn't?

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    @warbonnetguy, I purchase on a regular basis from US suppliers (did for years) and I never payed duties on US made products. I had to pay high brokerage fees on occasions though (ie UPS).

Shipment by USPS is delivered by Canada Post. The parcel has to clear Customs first. Customs charge taxes, Canada Post collects for them and add $9.95 handling fees. It's been like that for years. It is important that you put a detailed description for the content (what it is exactly and that it was made in US). Blackbird is not very descriptive to Customs officers...

I had problems in the past with DHL and I'm trying to find out if things have changed. My son has a business and dealt with them but with shipments from Europe. DHL sends a link to a web page where the fees can be payed before delivery. He tells me that he is very happy with the service.

I'd be more than happy to do a test with an empty package sent to me via DHL and do a full detailed report on the forum.

BTW very happy with the BB and the Wooki.

EDIT:
    Like the US Postal price only gets it to the border and then Canada post charges delivery cost from there to you plus import duties. (I could be confused as to which shipper results in that last part though)
    Not the case, Canada Post and the United States Postal Service (USPS) maintain a bilateral inbound competitive service agreement, which dictates the levels of remuneration for delivering mail originating in one country and destined for the other.
    Last edited by HammockCanoe; 09-07-2016 at 17:52.

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    Also customs fees may vary depending on province. I want to say in regard to US postal duties, some of that is duty and some of it may be the postage cost for the canadian post part of the transit...Like the US Postal price only gets it to the border and then Canada post charges delivery cost from there to you plus import duties. (I could be confused as to which shipper results in that last part though)
    USPS routes the parcels from Denver to San Francisco ISC, from there it goes to Richmond (Vancouver) where it clears customs. Same entry for all parcels from Denver. I've never heard or seen differences between provinces.

Here's a photo of my invoice from Canada Border Services Agency, for my Wooki (+buckles), that was presented to me by Canada Post at delivery. CBSA charges taxes on the Canadian $ value wich are collected by Canada Post and Canada Post charges handling fees ($9.95). This is a very typical invoice, it's been like that for years.

Notice $0 for duties.

wooki-customs.jpg

I had asked Ryan to enter "Insulating blanket for hammocks custom made in US" on the declaration form. It took 2 hours to clear customs, wich is fast. When I ordered my BB, there was only "Blackbird" as description. It took 2 days to clear customs.

Images
    Canada Post charging a $9.95 "Handling fee" when postage has supposedly already been covered by the shipper is no different, they aren't calling it a delivery fee or postage, but they're still charging extra $$ beyond the postage I pay to deliver it. I suppose maybe they are charging you that cost to "handle" your tax payment, but still, why can't you just mail a tax check directly to the govt. I know fed ex and UPS take care of collecting duties for stuff coming into the US and they probably charge something for doing so as well, but if you think about it, that's backwards...shouldn't Canadian customs (or whoever is ultimately receiving the tax) be paying the delivery company to deal with collecting their fees for them? I mean if i hired a collection company to collect my debts for me because I was unwilling or unable, (I) would pay for that service, not those who owed me money. Canada post is doing a service for the entity that doesn't want to bother collecting it themselves and instead of said tax agency paying them for that service, they get it for free at your expense. So they receive the taxes owed AND they charge you the 10$ it costs to collect those taxes as well. If it was a private business then that's one thing they can charge what they want, but they are basically charging you the tax they are allowed by law to charge and then on top of that charging you for "doing their job" as a govt agency...(or the cost of outsourcing that job rather).

So you're basically saying the rest beyond the handling fee is an aprox 18% sales tax...but it looks like Spike paid 134$ in fees on around 540$ in goods which is more like 25% so I don't know why the difference in % is there.

There is a spot on the customs form for country of origin, and we enter USA. Country of origin means country where it was manufactured (according to google)

Noted on the customs description, i'll look into that part

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    We don't like to pay the additional $9.95, but it's better than the $100+ brokerage fees charged by UPS and Fedex (on top of the shipping fees). As far as I know, DHL charges a similar amount and so does USPS for a parcel going Canada to US. The thing here is "Import", they all like to charge for it.

In Canada we have to pay 14.975% taxes on the CAN$ value, that's what I payed. If the US$ value of Spike's order was US$540, it is roughly $CAN 702 if I use a 1.3 rate. Taxes would be $CAN 105. + 9.95 handling, he should have payed 115. Unfortunately Spike didn't give details, but it would be interesting to know why he had to pay 134. If he was wrongfully charged duties, he can appeal and be reimbursed.

Technically, we don't have to pay taxes on value lower than $16. But if the value is lower than around $100, Customs officers usually don't bother and clears the package in seconds with no taxes.

With the low CAN$ value right now, when I shop big items on US site I figure roughly my total cost at double the US price. So my BB and Wooki came at close to that for me. My wife says that my Wooki is treated better than her!

You have to admit that Canadians like your products very much to order them.

Brandon, if you're free this weekend, we could discuss it over a beer, if you pay for my ticket both ways to Colorado .
    Last edited by HammockCanoe; 09-10-2016 at 08:58. Reason: typos

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    @Spike,
    From your thread started 5 months ago here https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...64#post1636164, you received that stuff in more than one order. So stating that it cost you $134 is misleading. What you meant is that it cost you a total of $134 on multiple orders. But on multiple orders, the $9.95 handling fees applied more than once. And, most of that amount was for taxes.

You also wrote:
    Well good news...hammock and superfly arrived....sad news is that 76.50 CND extra for duty and GST!
    You didn't pay duties but taxes (Edit: 13% in Ontario) on the $CAN value + $9.95 handling. There are NO DUTIES on US made products.

Your statement above, with no details, in that thread is misleading. Stating that you're an unhappy Canadian customer is also misleading. Paying taxes on imports is normal and Warbonnet Outdoors doesn't have anything to do with it.

Again, paying taxes and minor handling fees is normal, what we're trying to avoid is being charged outrageous brokerage fees by selecting the right carrier. This was the purpose of this thread.

Brandon, I hope that you see the point here.
    Last edited by HammockCanoe; 09-13-2016 at 07:41.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I just want to clarify a few things:

"Country of origin" is the country it's made in, but it is often overlooked, so it's good to stress "Made by hand in the USA". Being made by hand also stresses the fact that we can not buy it here.

Duty will not be charged on the item if it is made in a NAFTA country if shipped via USPS.

To correct HammockCanoe paying 14.975% on his item is the combined total of the GST (Federal tax) and the QST (provincial tax in Quebec). Other provinces vary in the PST (provincial tax) department. I've paid that on my UQ (~$72 on $405 CAD) - I'm in Quebec too. We can't complain about that. What most are trying to avoid are the exorbitant "brokerage fees" the courier companies charge on top of the taxes.

Yes, there's the "handling fee" but it's not a tax it is "to offset some of the costs it incurs to perform these functions" of checking your parcel(from the governments importing guide). Most Canadians can accept this begrudgingly.

The biggest bonus for Canadians when things are shipped USPS is that Customs RANDOMLY select packages to look at, so there's a chance for us not to pay anything at all.

I hope this helps with any confusion.
    Last edited by Singingcrowsings; 09-10-2016 at 11:17.

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    I just want to clarify a few things:
    To correct HammockCanoe paying 14.975% on his item is the combined total of the GST (Federal tax) and the QST (provincial tax in Quebec). Other provinces vary in the PST (provincial tax) department.
    You're right, thank you for correcting me. Taxes vary per province, attached is an overview of taxes per province (could vary in time). Source: http://www.canadabusiness.ca/eng/page/2651/

And again, this thread is not on having to pay taxes but on selecting the right shipping option, when ordering from WB, so that Canadians don't have to pay brokerage fees.

The only interesting addition to the thread would be a detailed report from a Warbonnet Outdoors Canadian customer who used DHL as option for shipping.

canadataxes.jpg
    Last edited by HammockCanoe; 09-10-2016 at 12:28. Reason: typos

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast