Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Not feeling safe with an 11' tarp and 10.5' hammock

After a few trips with my 10.5' hammock and 11' Mamajamba tarp, I'm starting to miss the "extra" coverage I have with my 10' hammock. I don't want to go back to that, so I'm wondering if I should get a 12' tarp. Here's a photo of my setup. You can see that the buckle is protected by the tarp, but not by much. I think any wind would easily blow rain in there. In serious rain I would put the porch mode down, but still I'm worried. And you can see I already had the tarp all the way down to the ground (no cordage left over to pull tighter). I guess I could have spread it out wider to get lower, but that would have been a lot more that I'm used to.

Besides, any lower and my hammock webbing starts rubbing on the tarp cordage.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I use 12' Kelty with my 11' hammock, but i can get my tarp much lower

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use 11' hammock and 11' tarp. Never had a problem.

You got to be comfortable with what you use though. Longer tarp could limit tree selection if they are too close but that would be rare. Unless there are just two trees to pick from.

That does look a bit too close for comfort, IMO. I use a 11 foot tarp (cat cut, hex shape) with a 10' foot hammock and have a set of removable doors that I occasionally drag along, depending on the weather report. I've been in heavy rain with it and just did the best I could with pitching the tarp lower. I don't even want to attempt using my 11' dutch with my 11' hammock. For winter, I'm using a 10' or 11' foot hammock with a 12 foot tarp with doors, so I'm fine. It's nice having that extra coverage.

Maybe a 11' rectagular tarp may be a solution: https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...-Now-Available . Good looking hang spot! Is that the NCT or MRT side?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    That does look a bit too close for comfort, IMO. I use a 11 foot tarp (cat cut, hex shape) with a 10' foot hammock and have a set of removable doors that I occasionally drag along, depending on the weather report. I've been in heavy rain with it and just did the best I could with pitching the tarp lower. I don't even want to attempt using my 11' dutch with my 11' hammock. For winter, I'm using a 10' or 11' foot hammock with a 12 foot tarp with doors, so I'm fine. It's nice having that extra coverage.

Maybe a 11' rectagular tarp may be a solution: https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...-Now-Available . Good looking hang spot! Is that the NCT or MRT side?
    Thanks Dave. I am going to consider larger tarps if I can sell my 11'ers for a decent price here. This particular photo is on the MRT side; no river view but still a nice scenic high point.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Looks to me as if you have more coverage than the standard Hennessey rainfly over the standard Hennesseey hammock. I've had a Backpacker A-sym Ultralight since '05 and have never gotten wet while in the hammock, even from windy thunderstorms. If the wind is blowing horizontal, especially from either end, just about no tarp will protect you 100% anyway.

Having said that, I have purchased after-market bigger rainflies for my hammocks, but that's because I want more coverage while not in my hammocks.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Your "Y" tarp rl attachment is using up valuable space, preventing good positioning of tarp and hammock.
    Either alter your "Y", or eliminate it all together.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Your "Y" tarp rl attachment is using up valuable space, preventing good positioning of tarp and hammock.
    Either alter your "Y", or eliminate it all together.
    Yeah, I was thinking about that. It's just what I've been doing for 4 years but realized it's limiting me. How do I fix that? Just move the tarp flyz closer to the tree trunk?

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm not understanding this. pictures can be deceiving but is there a reason you can't get the tarp closer?..

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    I'm not understanding this. pictures can be deceiving but is there a reason you can't get the tarp closer?..
    In the first photo, you can see the guy line is short as possible - tarp is practically touching the stake. I could get it lower if I increased the angle of the tarp, though. I just didn't do that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast