Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

11 foot hammock with integrated bug net - options?

I am in search of a gathered end hammock that meets the following criteria:

1) 11 feet long (I am 6' tall and about 200 lbs.)
    2) Integrated, removable bug net
    3) Structural ridge line included

I plan to use the hammock for car camping so weight is of little concern. Some other things I'd like to have but aren't a necessity:

1) Knotty mods
    2) Ridgeline organizer
    3) Underquilt hooks

I'm sure there are other things that I should consider as well, but those are the items I can think of after researching by mostly lurking here for the better part of a year.

A couple of the options that I think would fit the bill are:

1) Dream Hammock Darien
    2) Warbonnet BB XLC

Are there any other options out there that I am missing? Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help!

Anthony

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    ALL integrated bugnet hammocks come with a RL, they have to or you risk tearing the net. I haven't seen one yet with knotty mods.

RL organizers are worth their weight in gold, in my opinion.

You say weight isn't an issue, yet insist on a removable bugnet....Why??

If this is your first hammock I would explore cheaper options for the hammock, insulation is where you need to spend big money first. Any bare bones hammock will get you hanging and a fronkey style bugnet will take care of the insects. The fronkey can be used with many different hammocks as you try different fabrics and styles.

I too thought I NEEDED the big money, "big name" hammock to make this work. After trying a few "lesser" hammocks I found my favorite in what would be about a $50 model if bought today. That's left me with a pocketful of change to buy gear that keeps me warm

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    ALL integrated bugnet hammocks come with a RL, they have to or you risk tearing the net. I haven't seen one yet with knotty mods.

RL organizers are worth their weight in gold, in my opinion.

If this is your first hammock I would explore cheaper options for the hammock, insulation is where you need to spend big money first. Any bare bones hammock will get you hanging and a fronkey style bugnet will take care of the insects. The fronkey can be used with many different hammocks as you try different fabrics and styles.

I too thought I NEEDED the big money, "big name" hammock to make this work. After trying a few "lesser" hammocks I found my favorite in what would be about a $50 model if bought today. That's left me with a pocketful of change to buy gear that keeps me warm
    goobie, it depends on your definition of a RL. The Yukon, GT, and a few others have shock cords on the outside of the net that hold it up. Not really a RL, and definitely not structural.

As for any missing hammocks with integrated bug nets, I'd recommend a Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. It's one of my most comfortable hammocks, and the only one of the awesome cottage hammocks that doesn't have an asymmetrical lay.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Oh, and knotty mods are kind of mutually exclusive to an integrated bug net. If the net is removable, the half of the zipper attached to the hammock that remains would conflict with a knotty mod.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Why not go with an 11ft knotty mod Dutch with ridgeline and fronkey bugnet? Set up with suspension would be about 155.00

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly / Hamarak
    Insulation
    HG/WM
    Suspension
    Cinch/Dutch
    Images
    Warbonnet XLC
    or
    Dream Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post

The removable bug net is just a convenience thing for me, and it also seems to imply that entry would be possible from either side of the hammock.

This is not my first hammock, but I'd say it's my first attempt at an informed hammock purchase. I agree with you on the insulation yet at the same time I am currently just a fair-weather hammocker - I May find out that I'm mistaken but I don't expect to need much in the way of additional gear at this point. I have an extensive amount of camping gear that I hope will fit the bill until I decide to become more serious about ha mocking.

I don think I NEED the big money / big name hammock, which is the reason why I started this thread. I'd prefer to spend less at this point to make sure that I really will enjoy hammocking enough to justify additional expense later on down the road.

What is the favorite hammock that you mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    As for any missing hammocks with integrated bug nets, I'd recommend a Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. It's one of my most comfortable hammocks, and the only one of the awesome cottage hammocks that doesn't have an asymmetrical lay.
    Thank you! I will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    Oh, and knotty mods are kind of mutually exclusive to an integrated bug net. If the net is removable, the half of the zipper attached to the hammock that remains would conflict with a knotty mod.
    That makes sense, I hadn't put two and two together on that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye_tyler View Post
    Why not go with an 11ft knotty mod Dutch with ridgeline and fronkey bugnet? Set up with suspension would be about 155.00
    That seems like a cost effective option. I don't have any experience with the fronkey bugnet, but the pictures I've seen of the fronkey -vs- integrated bugnets have made it appear that the integrated bugnet would be easier to setup.

As someone else mentioned, though, the fronkey offers versatility while I'm trying to determine which type of hammock will work best for me.

Thank you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast