Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    I'd drop a note to Sawyer re the flecks & separations or any other questions. I'll bet they suggest tossing it and using new. I left mine in the garage one winter (temps to -20*F), and they did not recommend using the product that had been frozen and thawed 9multiple times, no less). They returned my emails promptly.
    I use a 24 oz Sawyer bottle with a DIY Martin's mix. It makes easy work of measuring out the concentrate.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•. Έ
    `•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>`•. Έ
    `•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•. Έ

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HG DCF W Palace
    Insulation
    Quilt + Underquilt
    Suspension
    Spider Web+ C Loop
    I live in NJ and hike primarily in PA, which to my understanding are some of the most tick-infested parts of the country. I wouldn't know though, because I hike in long sleeves and long pants tucked into socks, all soak treated in permethrin. I have literally never found a tick on myself since starting this practice (I hike approximately 300-500 miles in PA and trail-run about the same in NJ each year). I've never bothered treating my hammock or pack or anything else, it just has never seemed necessary to me. I've considered doing the pack a few times since it does rub on brush sometimes, but never have gone through with it.

I definitely think that buying the concentrate and diluting to 0.5% is the way to go, but beware that some formulations that aren't meant for clothing have a stinky vinegar smell that takes a while to go away.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Miller View Post
    Thanks for the quick response.
    Does anybody know if the glitter is the active Permethrin ingredient?

After the garments dry the flecks brush right off.
    Is there enough Permethrin left on the garment to repel ticks and mosquitoes when the flecks are gone?
    and
    If the glitter is the Permethrin it could be an inhalation hazard. (Users of this DIY treatment method should know this. I think about this because I've gotten sick in the field.)
    Bump
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•. Έ
    `•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>`•. Έ
    `•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•. Έ

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    No glitter with my two newest bottles of Martin's, so I'm guessing that had to do with the separation issue on my first bottle. Again, I stored that out in the garage and may have been ruined by the temps. I saw some other reviews on Amazon mention that too.

I can't say whether or not it's the active ingredient.

I'll retreat my stuff for an upcoming August trip. They say good for 6 washes, I don't believe it. A little Tide plus a washing machine even with cool water...no way it holds up. Do mosquitoes prefer Original or Clean Breeze?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    If it’s Martin’s Permethrin SFR concentrate, the glitter is likely Permethrin crystals that can form if it is stored in garage below 40 degrees. The safety data sheets typically advise warming the solution to ambient temps (above 70 degrees) and the crystals should dissolve in the emulsifier.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I didn't buy the SFR due to the petroleum base. I think that one does? I use the other stuff and still had crystals with the first batch. I posted a pic here somewhere but forget which thread.

p.s. found it, so I'll repost here:

I think that's why every spray bottle I used clogged up. I no longer have that problem though.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Yea, not sure if permethrin crystals falling out of suspension is specific to SFR or can occur with other formulations as well. But most supporting product info seems to indicate it is sensitive to cold temperature swings. I’ve been using the pre-mix Sawyer spray from Wallys successfully with no odor or crystals, but it’s not as cost effective for multiple treatments. found the following info on one of the product support pages that describes the breakdown from washing. Sounds more mechanical related than detergent related.

“Sweating and exposure to water do not significantly deteriorate the application. It is primarily the agitation of a washing machine, which deteriorates the Permethrin application as it knocks the molecules loose from the fabric. For best results, Sawyer recommends hand washing and air-drying. When using a conventional washer and drier, use the gentle wash and dry cycles. Loss due to the drier is limited compared to the detergent and washer agitation. Dry cleaning removes the Permethrin from the fabric.”

So, I was all set to treat my gear with Permethrin until I read this thread....

A). Now I am a little nervous about it absorbing through my skin if I sweat, and I will sweat, big guy in Tennessee in the summer. There will be sweat.

B). If I treat my gear, and my gear it on/near me, will it keep the skeeters off of me? If not, why treat the gear?? ie..Will treating my hammocks keep the bugs off me or just off my hammock?

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HG DCF W Palace
    Insulation
    Quilt + Underquilt
    Suspension
    Spider Web+ C Loop
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyhanger View Post
    So, I was all set to treat my gear with Permethrin until I read this thread....

A). Now I am a little nervous about it absorbing through my skin if I sweat, and I will sweat, big guy in Tennessee in the summer. There will be sweat.

B). If I treat my gear, and my gear it on/near me, will it keep the skeeters off of me? If not, why treat the gear?? ie..Will treating my hammocks keep the bugs off me or just off my hammock?
    For your first question, the answer is no - once it dries it fixes to the fabric and is safe to get wet. You can wash the clothing several times and before it loses its efficacy, and sweating will not "reactivate" it. Also, it's not even really hazardous to get on your skin in the first place. It's used as a topical ointment to treat scabies (skin mites) to no ill effect (https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-5...opical/details). It is SUPER toxic to cats while wet though, so keep those guys away from it while it's drying.

As to your second question - I have never bothered treating any gear other than clothing. The best argument I can think of for doing it would be to prevent ticks from hitch-hiking back to your house on your gear, but I have never had an issue like that such so I've never considered doing it.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I treat my hammock and bug net. It keeps the bugs from being interested in me

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast