WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I'm also not going to trust the "6 washes" thing much. After washing shirts, they're getting sprayed again before a trip. On a day hike, I can chance it, but not after driving 4 hours to spend 4 days in the woods.
    I'm also a bit wary about the 6 times but the US Army says an application by soak method is good for the life of their uniforms so maybe soaking really does work for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post
    I'm also a bit wary about the 6 times but the US Army says an application by soak method is good for the life of their uniforms so maybe soaking really does work for a long time.
    Or maybe it says something about what the army considers the life expectancy of their uniforms!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    We have a lot of permethrin threads and discussion, so this may have been mentioned already. Just saw this on a vendor's Q&A for the Martins 10%:

Q:
    Can Martins Permethrin 10% be used to spray clothing?

A:
    Martins Permethrin 10% should NOT be applied to clothing. We do carry Tick Block which is specifically formulated for use on clothing. While both products do contain permethrin, the formulation of Martins Permethrin 10% contains materials that should not come into contact with your skin.

Oops! Well, maybe I'll keep doing it anyway? Maybe they don't know jack and they're just trying to keep liability down?

I use the same as Brian Miller. That's what the instructions stated on the common 10% Martins and what everyone else here said. 20:1
    Technically 19 parts water and 1 part 10% permethrin should give you .5% concentration
    We have a lot of permethrin threads and discussion, so this may have been mentioned already. Just saw this on a vendor's Q&A for the Martins 10%:

Q:

A:
    Martins Permethrin 10% should NOT be applied to clothing. We do carry Tick Block which is specifically formulated for use on clothing. While both products do contain permethrin, the formulation of Martins Permethrin 10% contains materials that should not come into contact with your skin.

Oops! Well, maybe I'll keep doing it anyway? Maybe they don't know jack and they're just trying to keep liability down?
    I read that as I can't put the full strength 10% on my clothes... if diluting it's fine

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings

Q:

A:

It may be because it contains petroleum instead of water as a suspension carrier. Also 10% is way, way over what the dilution you would need. I imagine it would work as an insecticide but be very wasteful.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Half-zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Costco DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Sprayed my gear down for a scout summer camp in Mississippi and did not have a single bite

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End---1.6 Hexon D
    Tarp
    HG Journey (11')
    Insulation
    DIY w/ CDTs
    Suspension
    various
    I bought a bottle of the stuff on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) a couple of years ago, but never got around to using it. Started the day after I came back from a July afternoon in the woods with about 150 seed ticks on my left foot. Treated socks, pants, tee shirts, shirts . . . and took treated clothes on my first hammock backpacking trip (in the Adirondacks) a few days later. No ticks. No trouble with mosquitoes. No plans to venture into the woods without protection.

By the way, I didn't really notice any unpleasant odor with this version of the stuff. I'd forgive it if it did stink, though--as long as it kept the ticks away.

Images

Q:

A:

Scrugg's sells Martin's, but they also sell Hi-Yield- which I have used- that also comes in an indoor/outdoor variety. Since it can be used on mattresses, I imagine it would be OK on clothing. I have used it. But it still has some petroleum distillates and I have noticed the occassional oilyspots on some of my gear,and some odor though less than the outdor only stuff.. So I just stick to Sawyer's. Sometimes find it on sale.
    "To Control Carpet Beetles:
    Spray edges of carpeting and under carpeting and rugs. Make local-
    ized application to floor and baseboards. Spray directly into cracks,
    closets and infested areas of shelving. Repeat treatment as needed
    but not more often than once every 2 weeks.
    To Control Bedbugs:
    Spray mattresses lightly, particularly around tufts and seams. Take
    beds apart and spray in all joints. Treat baseboards, moldings and
    floors. Repeat treatment as needed but not more often than once
    every 2 weeks. Allow all treated articles to thoroughly dry before
    use. After the mattress is dry, cover with mattress cover and sheet.
    Do not use mattress without cover.
    To Control Fleas And Ticks (Adult And Larvae):
    Thoroughly spray infested areas, pet beds, resting quarters, nearby
    cracks and crevices, along and behind baseboards, moldings, win-
    dow and door frames, and localized areas of floor and floor covering',

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by professrh View Post
    I bought a bottle of the stuff on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) a couple of years ago, but never got around to using it. Started the day after I came back from a July afternoon in the woods with about 150 seed ticks on my left foot. Treated socks, pants, tee shirts, shirts . . . and took treated clothes on my first hammock backpacking trip (in the Adirondacks) a few days later. No ticks. No trouble with mosquitoes. No plans to venture into the woods without protection.

By the way, I didn't really notice any unpleasant odor with this version of the stuff. I'd forgive it if it did stink, though--as long as it kept the ticks away.
    This stuff may be even better than the brands I have been using, because it is also useful for avoiding demons before a full exorcism is called for:
    "Be extra careful when spraying demon around dark furniture and surface for it will leave a stain "

Images
    This is def for clothing, 1 gallon of pre mixed 0.5% in a sprayer, 1 gallon (40 complete outfits) $45, 6 oz(2 outfits) $13

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TNYPQY4...00TNYPQY4&th=1

But 12 oz Sawyer's is only $10, 48 oz is $30, so I would stick with that if buying less than a gallon, or unless mixing my own, which is much cheaper. Where diluting the concentrate to 12 oz would probably only cost about 50 cents. Still, I usually prefer the Sawyers on my clothes and gear, to each his own. My yard gets the diluted concentrate.

• + New Posts
  • Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast