Blackbird 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Cloud Burst
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Cayenne
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Question Do you use permethrin?

I'm in Connecticut, home of lyme disease. I want to protect myself from ticks and reduce the chance of getting lyme disease. DEET is a bad idea because it destroys synthetics. Picaridin may be a good choice for protecting exposed skin. Permethrin is recommended for clothing, shoes, hammocks, etc. I bought some Sawyer permethrin in a spray bottle. It's pretty pricey if I want to treat all of my stuff. I read that some people dilute a higher concentration.

What I bought: https://sawyer.com/products/permethr...ect-repellent/

Higher concentration that I could dilute? http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...ise-spray-1-qt

I would like to hear from you if you've had experience diluting your own! Any advice is appreciated!

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Idk about diluting it, but the sawyer is .5% and the Gordons is 10%. So by that logic you.should be able to dilute with a 20:1 ratio. I used it last weekend on a netless hammock in southern MO. ticks and mosquitos like none other. Had zero bites, not even stuff buzzing around me. It was glorious. I don't believe I will go out into the woods without it again.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I use the one you linked from Tractor Supply. 20:1 ratio. I put my gear in a double black trash bag, pour the solution over the gear, tie up the bags, kneed the gear flipping the bag a few times and let sit overnight. The next day, I hang everything up to dry...away from cats...it's lethal to them when wet. Once dry, the formula has bonded to the fibers. One soak is good for a camping season. If used on clothing, it's supposed to be good for about 5-6 washes. I notice a slight odor when wet and maybe the first time I use my gear. After that, I don't notice any. It has never bothered me. I have been in my hammock listening to bugs land on my bug net or hammock and fall to the ground dead. Also, I use picaridin on my clothing and boots. I have never had a tick on me when using it. I think they have become immune to DEET. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Oh, I used plastic gloves to handle the solution and wet gear.

Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Cloud Burst
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Cayenne
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks, Goat! I'm glad to hear it worked well for you! I went on a hike with the dogs and brought home 8 ticks. I even woke up in the middle of night with one crawling on my eyebrow. I knew we needed permethrin after that. The dogs are protected with Frontline and a lyme disease vaccination but they can still carry the ticks back.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Cloud Burst
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Cayenne
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    I use the one you linked from Tractor Supply. 20:1 ratio. I put my gear in a double black trash bag, pour the solution over the gear, tie up the bags, kneed the gear flipping the bag a few times and let sit overnight. The next day, I hang everything up to dry...away from cats...it's lethal to them when wet. Once dry, the formula has bonded to the fibers. One soak is good for a camping season. If used on clothing, it's supposed to be good for about 5-6 washes. I notice a slight odor when wet and maybe the first time I use my gear. After that, I don't notice any. It has never bothered me. I have been in my hammock listening to bugs land on my bug net or hammock and fall to the ground dead. Also, I use picaridin on my clothing and boots. I have never had a tick on me when using it. I think they have become immune to DEET. Just my opinion.

Awesome! This is exactly what I needed to know! I was wondering if the TSC version had a lingering smell or any issues that differ from Sawyer. Thanks for sharing all of the information about washes, application process, toxicity for cats, gloves, etc. I've read that as well and I appreciate you repeating it.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I use Martin's brand.
    http://www.amazon.com/Martins-Permet...=sr_1_5&sr=8-5
    It is 10% so I dilute it to a .5% solution. Some brands have a petrochemical base and smell really bad. This one does not seem to have that. I spray my hammock, clothing, shoes and socks especially. I went on a canoe trip in Missouri a couple of years ago with friends, there were about 12 of us for 5 days. They were constantly pulling ticks off and I never had one. I spray my chair with it as well. Initially I was concerned about using it, but now with all the diseases related to ticks, I think the cost to benefit ratio is there.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Dream - Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Klymit, HG TQ &amp; UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Do you use permethrin?

I use the TSC at 20:1 as well. I soak just about everything I can in the solution. My buddy who also hangs came back with 4 ticks (used a bug net too). I came back clean as a whistle. I swear by the stuff.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I use the Martins 10% from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Martins-Permet.../dp/B0088Y7PJY

Dilute it 20:1 (about 6 ounces (3/4 cup) per gallon), dip your clothes/hammock/bugnet/etc., let dry and you are good to go. Like others have said, I've seen blood suckers hit the net and fall dead - quite satisfying, really.

Doni

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by laghang View Post
    Awesome! This is exactly what I needed to know! I was wondering if the TSC version had a lingering smell or any issues that differ from Sawyer. Thanks for sharing all of the information about washes, application process, toxicity for cats, gloves, etc. I've read that as well and I appreciate you repeating it.
    Always glad to help. :-)

Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast