Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Enigma
    Suspension
    Hybrid Straps, BH
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Miller View Post
    I tried mixing 1 ounce of the 10% Permethrin to 23 ounces of water in the 24 ounce Sawyer spray bottle and it was too strong . I didn't rinse the gaments after spraying though, but I never did the with the Sawyer spray. I wonder if the Sawyer spray uses a binder of some sort?
    Brian, too strong how? Was there a smell remaining or through how the fabric felt? I know giving my stuff a good rinse helped removed any lingering smell and the residue feel. But, I soaked mine.
    RB
    https://lighterpack.com/r/axwxk6

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have had excellent results with 0.5% Sawyer Permethrin sprayed on clothing, a head net, and my hammock. Wanting save some $$$ I picked up some Durvet - brand 10% Permethrin at the local feed store. I tried mixing 1 ounce of the 10% Permethrin to 23 ounces of water in the 24 ounce Sawyer spray bottle and it was too strong . I didn't rinse the gaments after spraying though, but I never did the with the Sawyer spray. I wonder if the Sawyer spray uses a binder of some sort?

I'm headed out to the Indian (Mosquito) Heaven Wilderness this week and am trying a .25% solution with a rinse to see how that works. I'll carry along some Picaridin just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by fodder View Post
    Brian, too strong how? Was there a smell remaining or through how the fabric felt? I know giving my stuff a good rinse helped removed any lingering smell and the residue feel. But, I soaked mine.
    I went on a 3 day backpacking fly fishing trip on a river in Olympic National Park with a friend who's wife is a LPN. It was only about 1.5 mile hike in. I think I got sick from wearing the clothing sprayed with a .5% mix, and hung to dry for several days. First general weakness, gradually increasing on the trail, then nausea and I vomited right after I got my hammock up. I thought it might be the clothing so I stripped down to my shorts and soaked my clothing to rinse it, laid my shirt and trousers out on a log in the sun to dry. I laid down while my friend fished awhile. After about an hour and a half I felt much better and checked on my clothes and they were dry. I dressed, got something to drink and eat. My friend came back to check on me and I felt good enough to wade the river and fish. Later he was able to call his wife and she said if it was an acute reaction to the Permethrin, it would pass through the body. What are some signs and symptoms from a brief exposure to permethrin?

Last week I tried 0.25 oz mix of 10% Permethrin in 24 oz sprayed on my clothing. I let them dry thoroughly and there was a moderate odor on the trousers. I wore the trousers at home and after a couple of hours I began to feel slightly nauseous, so I tossed all of the clothing in the washer and ran a rinse-spin cycle. There was still an odor but the next day. I put the trousers on again and no problem.

I'd previously gone through several bottles of the Sawyer spray without a problem.
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 09-27-2016 at 18:24.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cuben fiber
    Suspension
    whoppie slings/MSH
    Super-concentrated permethrin on bed nets during a trip in West Africa gave quite a few people I was with hives. I think permethrin is a common thing to develop allergies too (same thing could be said for perfume and perfumed soaps). Anyway, using concentrated permethrin (as we did in the army on our uniforms) isn't necessary for camping gear that will not be laundered often.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    pad/ REI igneo
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    so any of my water resistant clothing wont work with this stuff if I use the soak method?

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I went on a 3 day backpacking fly fishing trip on a river in Olympic National Park with a friend who's wife is a LPN. It was only about 1.5 mile hike in. I think I got sick from wearing the clothing sprayed with a .5% mix, and hung to dry for several days. First general weakness, gradually increasing on the trail, then nausea and I vomited right after I got my hammock up. I thought it might be the clothing so I stripped down to my shorts and soaked my clothing to rinse it, laid my shirt and trousers out on a log in the sun to dry. I laid down while my friend fished awhile. After about an hour and a half I felt much better and checked on my clothes and they were dry. I dressed, got something to drink and eat. My friend came back to check on me and I felt good enough to wade the river and fish. Later he was able to call his wife and she said if it was an acute reaction to the Permethrin, it would pass through the body. What are some signs and symptoms from a brief exposure to permethrin?

Last week I tried 0.25 oz mix of 10% Permethrin in 24 oz sprayed on my clothing. I let them dry thoroughly and there was a moderate odor on the trousers. I wore the trousers at home and after a couple of hours I began to feel slightly nauseous, so I tossed all of the clothing in the washer and ran a rinse-spin cycle. There was still an odor but the next day. I put the trousers on again and no problem.

I'd previously gone through several bottles of the Sawyer spray without a problem.
    From the link you provided, the symptoms you describe are consistent with ingestion or inhalation of permethrin. Is it possible you got it in your mouth or breathed it in?

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    From the link you provided, the symptoms you describe are consistent with ingestion or inhalation of permethrin. Is it possible you got it in your mouth or breathed it in?
    Yup, I agree. But the symptoms occurred from a day to a week after spraying the clothing, with the garments being completely dry. That's why I asked about the possible use of a binder by Sawyer to bond the permethrin to the material being treated.
    Brian

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JRab9 View Post
    so any of my water resistant clothing wont work with this stuff if I use the soak method?
    I haven't tried it but I suspect a DWR treatment on a garment would shed the mixture and it would not be effective. I do treat around the zipper of my Clark hammock and have been left blissfully alone in my hammock camped in a valley with several lakes, meadows, and enough mosquitoes where other hikers were asking if I had any bug spray to spare.
    Brian

Hammock
    TTTM
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon camo
    Insulation
    DDUQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps, WS
    Images
    Has anyone tried the 0.2% concentration at all? If so, how effective was it at that mix rate? The reason I ask is that I'm having a real hard time locating a source for stronger concentrations here in the UK, and if there are any biting bugs at all they're busy biting me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living, learning, and loving both.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    With the spider and bug issue I have living on the water, I treat the outside of my hammocks & netting , UQ's, UQP ,suspensions, and underside of my tarps + guy out lines all with Sawyer Permethrin in the spray bottle. For my hiking shoes and boots I'll use either Permethrin or 100% DEET, and the rest of my clothes + pack with both Permethrin AND Sawyers Picardin to kill anything the gets on me, and keep the rest away. That combo works great together ive found. Treating all of my hammock gear with the Permethrin is nessesary to keep the spiders away by keeping their food source away..... No bugs = No spiders. I might get a few small ones that make a tiny web on my hammock suspension, but that's usually as far as they go just as long as I use the Permethrin and a few small drops of peppermint oil directly on my tree straps. Spiders don't like peppermint oil apparently and it does a good job keeping them away as long as I can smell it still. It might be overkill to spray everything with the Permethrin, but I need all the help I can get! Its borderline infestation level here and the only way to keep the spiders away is to keep their food source away.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourq2 View Post
    Has anyone tried the 0.2% concentration at all? If so, how effective was it at that mix rate? The reason I ask is that I'm having a real hard time locating a source for stronger concentrations here in the UK, and if there are any biting bugs at all they're busy biting me. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Sawyer Permethrin used for direct application to clothing is 0.5%. At one point I used half that strength for mixing from a 10% concentrate because I had a reaction to the 0.5% diluted mix and it worked for me. I'd try at 0.2% and see if it works. You might also try a double application - apply, let dry, apply again.

I've since been able to go back to the 0.5% diluted mix if I let the garments dry for a week or more, but I am probably going to get some of the Martins brand that canoebie mentioned
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    As I said in an earlier post, I use the Martins available on Amazon. It doesn't seem to have too much residual odor as it seems to not have the petrochemicals other mixes do.
    Brian

• + New Posts
  • Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast