Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
    Test it at home first. We treated our son’s stuff (everything!) in permethrin (at the recommendation of an ex-marine friend) before a scout camp and he had an allergic reaction. Doh! We ruined the first half of his scout camp and had to over night clothes to him because all he had was his swim suit. Lesson learned about always testing anything new at home.

No bites though!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I think this season is going to be bad. REAL BAD!!!!! I saw a few mosquitoes March 26 in the cold rain. Then I got a couple bites from ninja mosquitoes I didn't see or hear last week.

And bugs in general seem to be out in full force much earlier than usual. We'll get a break here with the cold over the next 1-2 weeks, but after that, I'm not looking forward to it.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It's been a very short, mild winter here in New England. It's mud season now, to be quickly followed by bug season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’ve been asked to ask - does permethrin keep outdoor spiders at bay? I’ve told my hiking partner that she just has to utter the magic incantation, “Thou Shall Not Pass” but I think she’s looking for something more. Yes, she is enclosed in a RR with bug net. But we’re talking “not on the net”, not in the camp, not in the county, or the next county.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-09-2020 at 13:24.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    From my understanding (we have a few bug guys in our boy scout troop), it's really really hard to keep spiders at bay, mainly because they typically are not "self-groomers." which means that if they have a poison on their body, that alone will not get it into their system. Most creepy crawlies will ingest a little of whatever gets on their body, thus making it easy to kill them.

*this is in no way supposed to be a definitive, technical authoritative answer, as I only passively listen to our bug guys talk when they talk shop, and have a serious case of Attention deficit something or other.

I love seeing this thread get resurrected about this time of spring...makes me look forward to summer backpacking season.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I love seeing this thread get resurrected about this time of spring...makes me look forward to summer backpacking season.
    It's the quintessential springtime kickoff. I don't remember what I treated last year, how much washing, how much wear, etc. So it all gets blasted again.

Heading to southern IN in two week, which could be dirty. So it's time. At least temps are well below normal so I think it will be a good time.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Done. Sprayed two pairs of socks, two shirts, pants, shorts, long sleeve shirt and shoes. The pump jammed up as usual by the time I got half way thru, so I dumped the rest in a bucket and added a little more concentration/water. Dunked the hammock. WOW! I was always a proponent of spraying but this dunking thing is a 5 second job, 100% instant coverage. Didn't take as much solution as I thought since you just dunk and press it to the bottom and suck it up like a sponge.

And no I didn't go to the strip club last night...that's just my permethrin. I still don't know what this glittery stuff is. I can see it in the concentrate bottle, mixed bottle, and finally on clothes. I'm looking forward to getting a new bottle eventually and seeing if it was just a fluke. It's definitely clogging up the sprayers.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    How do you know strip clubs are associated with glitter? I didn’t know that

Once I was in the lunch room with a boss. He was fixing some peppermint tea. When he pulled the tea bag out, he said, “This smells like [medicinal herb].” Thinking it might be a test, I just smiled and replied, “I wouldn’t know."
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I’ve been asked to ask - does permethrin keep outdoor spiders at bay? I’ve told my hiking partner that she just has to utter the magic incantation, “Thou Shall Not Pass” but I think she’s looking for something more. Yes, she is enclosed in a RR with bug net. But we’re talking “not on the net”, not in the camp, not in the county, or the next county.
    Ha ha ha!!! Go back and read some of Chesapeake's stories about spiders!! (I think it was Chesapeake with the major spider encounters...)

• + New Posts
  • Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast