Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps

anyone tried a diy verions of the amok draumr or exped yet? some thoughts....

Has anyone tried a diy version of the amok draumr or the exped type hammocks yet? I searched and didnt see a thread for any diy info on it. Im just about to launch into diy bridge and there is a ton of info available. Just thinking out loud after looking at the amok and the exped Im wondering about taking my xl table cloth gathered end, which I can just about lay completely perpendicular in, and on one side add on an attached foot box. Obviously it wouldnt have the ability to adjust the angle or shorten straps but it would be a start anyway. not that different from using your hammock in recliner mode and just adding that foot box on one side. Any thoughts? Anyone already tried this?

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    wow I cant believe that no one here has given a go at a day amok! I have an idea that Im trying to get on paper. as soon as i can get a drawing of it Ill post it here and hopefully some of the great folks here can help expand on it or at least take a look and tell me if Im just being silly.

There have been several times when I was sitting in my hammock, which is a 13 x 9 tcf gathered end, that I just laid back and thought if I had a little more slack on the side where my feet are I could just lay totally flat right here sideways in this thing. As soon as I saw the amok draumr I thought wow thats it they just turned sideways in the thing and added a footbox on the side of the hammock and bang!

Ok here is the sketch. Sketch2172148 (1).jpg

I havent seen any close ups shots of how the side straps attach on the amok but if they did it then it has to be doable right?
    Last edited by bigsig11010; 05-02-2016 at 07:49. Reason: add sketch and comments

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I suppose you could say I did with my right-angle hammocks. That was before either the Ergo or the Draumr came out. Those newer hammocks use many small cords on each side, just as mine did, but mine were whoopie slings so they were adjustable. Much later I applied that principle of multi-string adjustability to bridge hammocks and was able to get the same comfortable recliner-like contours that I had with the right-angle hammock, and construction was a bit less complicated. My start on the right-angle hammock was a lot like yours - sitting sideways, leaning back and putting my feet up (in my case on my dog's hammock which was strung next to mine). It reminded me of the "foot rope" that Hog On Ice used with his hammock (long time back).

Go for it! Be prepared to go through a number of prototypes. You'll need a pretty stiff pad to keep the hammock from collapsing. Good luck!

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    Thanks for your reply WV. I would love to look back at your right angle hammocks. Sounds like I tapped into your wavelength maybe. Did you stick with the idea or did you give up on it? Im thinking that a clews type attachment would work but on the sides as opposed to the ends with a means of adjustment for the head and foot.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    The r-a hammock idea wasn't abandoned; it was superseded. It worked, but the suspension was complicated and easily tangled. Most of my ideas start out very complex to build, and then I work to simplify them. The adjustable bridge hammocks achieved the same comfort level as the r-a hammock, and now I'm working at simplifying them.

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    I too tried a DIY Right Angle hammock. With my version I used hemmed cat cuts on the gathered ends with a mattress pocket in the center for rigidity. The design worked as planned all the way up until getting in the darn thing. For 4 to 5 seconds it was a perfectly flat and comfortable lay. The longest I could ride that thing was about 6 seconds.

Securing the ends with stakes would have fixed that, but I mothballed it before going there...

It's all documented somewhere here on the DIY forum.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Here's the link to my attempt...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mock-Like-This

Like WV, I ended up with a bridge hammock to achieve the perfectly flat lay.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    The adjustable bridge sounds intetesting. Any pics available. ?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsig11010 View Post
    The adjustable bridge sounds intetesting. Any pics available. ?
    Bigsig, here's a video I did last Fall. Sorry for the clunky editing and wind noise, but the information is there. It shows where my adjustable bridge hammocks came from, but it doesn't show where I went from there. Disregard the pitch at the end about the insulated adjustable bridge as a prize at WaHHA 2015. However, the design evolved in some interesting ways as I attempted to simplify simplify simplify. It is emerging now as the Peoples'BridgeHammock, which I've alluded to in several posts, but haven't unveiled yet. Be patient. (Oh yeah. There will be one in the 2016 WaHHA raffle on October 22nd.) Meanwhile, the green hammock in the foreground of this video is a good example of an adjustable bridge.

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    Great work vw. Thank you very much for sharing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast