Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

locally sourced, cheap hammock fabric?

I am scheming on my son's birthday party, and I am mulling over making four or five hammocks for 14 and 15 year old boys, 5'5" to 6'1". I am also hoping to keep things affordable. I can get all sorts of great fabrics from the good folks that vend here, but I am looking for cheaper material. Is my best bet touring around to the local fabric stores and Wal-mart and hoping to snag suitable fabric off of their sales racks? I've researched table cloths and I might go that route, but do you forumites know of any better options than hunting around (Michaels, A. C. Moore, Hancock Fabrics, Walmart, Joann's) and hoping for a score?

Oop! I just read where Hancock's is going out of business--I may ease on over there this weekend to try my luck. Any other good options? Also, thanks in advance!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    tableclothsfactory.com you can make your five hammocks with no cutting or sewing for around $10 each, and depending on which suspension you use you can bring them in under $20 each.

Also right now they are running a 15% off mother's day coupon.
    Last edited by johnspenn; 04-28-2016 at 19:41. Reason: additional info

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    tableclothsfactory.com you can make your five hammocks with no cutting or sewing for around $10 each, and depending on which suspension you use you can bring them in under $20 each.
    Those table cloth hammocks take a beating and come together very quickly. The first one I made has been the "through it up and let the kids do whatever hammock" for 3 or 4 years now. If you sew, just add a channel for the gather on the ends or I first learned to whip a hammock from Just Jeff's site no sewing needed. Then just pick your suspensions. Not the cheapest but I think I might lean toward cinch buckles for teenage boys for being fairly foolproof. I personally like the triangle style sold by warbonnet or arrowhead
    Last edited by Kallorne; 04-28-2016 at 19:49.

Great lead! Thanks. So, would y'all recommend a 60" x 126" or 50" x 120"? I'm thinking of going with the larger size because the boys could grow into them and because there are better colors. Bigger is better?

And should I go crinkle taffeta? I saw Just Jeff's youtube video (I think it was his), and that's what he used...

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    60 by 126 is a good size. I'm 5'11" and I love that size. Most people get the crinkle taffeta. It's shiny but man that stuff feels good!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DarlBundren View Post
    Great lead! Thanks. So, would y'all recommend a 60" x 126" or 50" x 120"? I'm thinking of going with the larger size because the boys could grow into them and because there are better colors. Bigger is better?

And should I go crinkle taffeta? I saw Just Jeff's youtube video (I think it was his), and that's what he used...
    I never heard of anyone buying the 50" x 120" tablecloths. I'd avoid them. Most people buy the 60 x 126 or the 90 x 156 if it's an indoors hammock.

Wasn't Darl Bundren sent to the insane asylum?
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-28-2016 at 20:01.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I visited my local Hancock's last weekend looking for some deals. It was a waste of time. They had a huge selection of ripstop nylon (compared to my local Joann's, which has two choices) but their prices were pretty high, 9.99 to 11.99 per yd before the 30% off. I'll give it a few weeks then try again, hopefully they're more desperate to move some nylon!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Sorry, the only place I have purchased hammock fabric is Walmart. I made my hammock with $1.50/yrd and straps from the tarp/camping section, 2 straps 12' each for $6. I removed the cams and cut straps in half, sewed loop on end.

I have also made a pink polyester hammock for daughter because she wanted a different color. It too was $1.50/yrd. For synthetic quilts, yep, also Walmart fabric. $1.50/yrd at the time, but now $2.99/yrd for "static free liner".

Good luck in your search.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast