Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by sanglin View Post
    To anyone who has experience with both:
    What are the major differences between a gathered end and an asym hammock design? Are the differences noticeable at all?

Also, to those who have experience with Dream Hammocks:
    Being 6'2'' and having the option to customize the width of the hammock, does anyone have any recommendations on that? I was thinking somewhere around 60'' would be smart but having never been in one, it's hard to say.

Thanks again
    No personal experience with an "asym" hammock design but the reality is it is the exact same thing as a gathered end hammock. The only difference is that an asym hammock will have tie outs you can stake out to promote an asymetrical lay in the hammock. You want to lay on the diagonal in any gathered end hammock so it's not so much a difference in the fabric as a way to open up the hammock. I like to swing in my hammock so I've never wanted to deal with staking out guy lines on an asym hammock but others really like them. There is an illustration that may help to show it better than my explanation if you scroll down the page on the following link. http://theultimatehang.com/2016/04/h...ym-zip-review/ He also goes into the explanation of an asym design somewhere in the review...

As far as hammock width is concerned, I'm 6'1" and am fine with a 60" width. Some prefer wider, but I like the view and find 60" sufficient to get a good diagonal lay.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/OWL UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Whoopies
    Images
    I figured there was no big difference but i'm glad I asked the dumb question anyway. --Thanks jamaulwall

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    sanglin, the bottom line is that different people like different things. For instance, I'm 5'11" 240ish and I can get a flat comfortable lay in my ENO DN, which is only 9'6" long. Others the same height or even shorter than me swear they can't get comfortable in anything less than 11'.

Some smaller than me swear that they NEED the extra wide options and some larger than me are fine with the standard 60" width. It's all individual preference. Since you didn't mention comfort as being a factor, only the weight of your setup, it sounds like you're fine with a somewhat shorter and standard width setup.

An inexpensive way for you to find out where your length/width sweet spot is would be to try some different sized table cloths from tableclothsfactory.com

You can get some blanks of varying lengths and widths, gather the ends with a simple W fold and hang in them to test them out. Choose the rectangular table cloths from the menu, and look for those that come in the crinkle taffeta material (very good feeling fabric). The Ultimate Hang website has very simple instructions for preparing these to use as hammocks, and once you're done you'll have some to lounge in and loan out (or you might even have a new go-to!). It never hurts to have a few extras in your arsenal. Good luck and happy hanging!

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/OWL UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Whoopies
    Images
    Awesome idea johnspenn. I never would've thought of that. Thanks!

Hammock
    DH T-Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Well here is my 2 cents worth.....I started with a HH just like yours with the large tarp and sounds like I even suspended mine the same way using a gorda knot and had the HH snake skins as well.

I just went with a DH TB at 11' long and 72" wide double layer and cinch buckle suspension. I am 6'4 and 240 lbs so I am a little taller and somewhat heavier. My experience between the two are in the set up, lay, shelter, and options.

First the set up is really fast, even faster than the HH as would be obvious with the cinch buckle not much more I can say about that.

The lay is quite a bit different simply because of the width moreso than the length I think. I can really stretch out and on the diagonal I can get a nice flat lay. I side sleep a bunch and I can tell you it is real nice to be able to do that easier now.

As far as the tarp having it seperate is nice and gives you the option of setting it up separate. As you know on the HH you have to have the hammock first then attach to the suspension unless you have modified it. With my DH I can set my tarp first and go from there which is nice since it gets your stuff out of the rain.

Last is options.....the TB has zip on net, over covers, and the crew at DH will put whatever you want. They are also great to deal with and take a lot of time making sure you are getting what you want. I liked them so much my son had a HH Cub that he started with and to make set up and breakdown the same I went ahead and got him a Sparrow for Christmas.

Hope this helped.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/OWL UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Whoopies
    Images
    1202OSFM sounds like you're a step ahead of my same experiences. I'm thinking I'll keep my large hex rainfly because the size is great and it does have tie outs on all corners so I can, and have, set it up before setting the HH up. (Great in the rain)
    Going forward I'm looking at an 11ft, 63in wide (I sleep on my side too but I'm hoping 63" will be fine as the HH is only 55" I think) DH with whoopie slings and sort of minimalist webbing for tree straps.
    The stupidest thing I did when I got bit by the hammock bug, I'm sure i'm not alone, was go out and buy my wife a HH Expedition right away too. I think in a perfect world I'll try to sell that one off (she couldn't care less) to recoup some of the costs toward the DH. Then the Explorer deluxe can serve as a backup or a cozy spot for friends to hang when I'm lucky enough to bring them out for a hike.

If I haven't said it enough already:: Being a hammock forum newb, this community has been astounding!! I can't believe so many people are willing to lend a hand and share experiences, the value of which is immeasurable.
    Thank you

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12