Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks everyone, I'm leaning towards the New Long River, but the Snugpak is tempting because I really want to refrain from spending too much. After spending nearly 300 on the Blackbird XLC, it's hard to justify spending nearly 300 more between the rain fly and an underquilt, but I'd rather not skimp too much on quality. As far as the rain fly, I'm looking at the House Fly from ENO. Is that a decent choice, or are there better options for a similar price and type of fly?

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    For the same price ($140) you can get a Superfly from Warbonnet Outdoors. It's slightly longer at 11ft and a little bit lighter ( by a few ounces). It also has the side tie outs that really open the tarp up. Not eno bashing, but i think you would get a better qaulity American made tarp for the same price. I have a Mamajamba tarp ( same tarp minus doors) and cant say enough good things about tje qaulity of it.

Also have the snugpak underblanket. Not the lightest but no complaints. Takes a bit of fiddling to get it right but once you figure it out works well. I've had mine down to the mid 40's and stayed very snug. Only had to adjust it once during the night. If you are thinking about one or get one watch the video by shortround he has the set up dialed in really well ( i use pretty much the same set up and it works).

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikwoiuh View Post
    Thanks everyone, I'm leaning towards the New Long River, but the Snugpak is tempting because I really want to refrain from spending too much. After spending nearly 300 on the Blackbird XLC, it's hard to justify spending nearly 300 more between the rain fly and an underquilt, but I'd rather not skimp too much on quality. As far as the rain fly, I'm looking at the House Fly from ENO. Is that a decent choice, or are there better options for a similar price and type of fly?
    Snugpak weighs 51 ounces - that's just too much weight for anything but car camping. And I'd definitely skip the Housefly when you can pay the same amount of money and get the most popular tarp on HF, the Superfly, plus it will weigh 8 ounces less than the Housefly while still being six inches longer.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    i will mirror what kev138 and silvrsurfr have said about the superfly, adam at warbonnet makes great stuff, the winterdream from under ground quilts, would also be a great option at $135, and you can get it in your choice of 18 colors, you will be hard pressed to find someone that make nicer gear than paul!

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Snugpak weighs 51 ounces - that's just too much weight for anything but car camping. And I'd definitely skip the Housefly when you can pay the same amount of money and get the most popular tarp on HF, the Superfly, plus it will weigh 8 ounces less than the Housefly while still being six inches longer.
    I agree it's heavy, but Ive backpacked with mine, it's not that bad. I don't mind a few extra lbs but if you're trying to save weight, it's not the lightest. You can cut some weight off it though by replacing the shock cord with a smaller diameter shock cord. It's a really heavy shock cord and there's lots of it.

Also, that weight is with the stuff sack, which is big, with a bunch of buckles and straps on it. If you replace the shock cord and ditch the stuff sack, it's actually about the same weight as the New River. Actually my new River is heavier since I have the winter version.

I'm also not a small guy, I'm 230 lbs so I don't notice an extra lbs or 2 the same as a 150 lbs guy would. If you want to save a few hundred bucks, it's not a bad place to start. It basically comes down to, is a few less lbs worth $200 extra? If you're on a tight budget probably not. If you have the extra to spend, then I'd suggest a lighter option.
    Last edited by Speedogomer; 04-30-2016 at 11:38.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikwoiuh View Post
    cheap tarp kelty noah 12 or guide gear stuff it isnt ul but it works for 60 bucks. when you have more money get a lighter tarp.

If your looking for something in the 40 degree range I would recommend you part with a little more $$ and spring for a Hammock Gear Phoenix. At 3/4 length it provides good coverage (I only need a short foot pad) and a down quilt will last much longer and provide weight savings over synthetic.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    my diy full length PLUQ does great for me with a mylar space sheet inside of it.

tlfillingim, if you shock-cord the ends you won't have to sew the pleats. i hate the idea of sewing the poncho liner, becuase its so versatile a piece of gear that moding it decreases its modularity.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyg View Post
    cheap tarp kelty noah 12 or guide gear stuff it isnt ul but it works for 60 bucks. when you have more money get a lighter tarp.
    works GREATASTICALLY for $60. i use a $50 milspec from vt armynavy, comes with gnar heavy guage shock cord loops on all grommets, but no stuffsack. buy a stuffsack three pack from wallyworld and i use the biggest for the tarp. and a poncho. and a wally world blue tarp just in case it gets gnarly out
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post

tlfillingim, if you shock-cord the ends you won't have to sew the pleats. i hate the idea of sewing the poncho liner, becuase its so versatile a piece of gear that moding it decreases its modularity.
    I have the shock cord now and it does fine. I was going to sew it just to make it look a little better. Maybe I can just make my shock cords look a little better.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast