Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

RSBTR DIY vs. Dutch 11 ft.

It's time to buy! Now... which one do I choose?? Decisions decisions...

Sewing isn't a problem, I have plenty of hours of practice thanks to quilting, just not sure the difference between the final products. Will they be pretty similar? Comparing costs, is it worth a try at DIY, or just order from Dutch? Still sorting out what's what in the descriptions as far as what's included in each (it's like looking up a word in the dictionary only to then have to look up a word in the definition, and so on).

Anyone have a pic of the finished DIY hammock? Or done it themselves to say how easy or not easy it was?
    Homeschooling mom to 4 little ones (8 and under)... Doing my best to enjoy this stage of life

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FourRingCircus View Post

Sewing isn't a problem, I have plenty of hours of practice thanks to quilting, just not sure the difference between the final products. Will they be pretty similar? Comparing costs, is it worth a try at DIY, or just order from Dutch? Still sorting out what's what in the descriptions as far as what's included in each (it's like looking up a word in the dictionary only to then have to look up a word in the definition, and so on).

Anyone have a pic of the finished DIY hammock? Or done it themselves to say how easy or not easy it was?
    all I have is a Dutch 11' and I love it, so I can't judge RSBTR. I will say that in HYOH's podcast, I think with the guy from RSBTR (I'm bad with names), maybe someone else - it was stated that the DIY route isn't really for cost savings, but if you enjoy that satisfaction of making your own gear then that is the route for you.

If this is your 1st hammock though I can say, having Dutch add the continuous loops with the cinch buckles was a big help to me, not sure I would sleep comfortable knowing I spliced them (atleast not yet), also time is a factor, I couldn't wait to get in the woods, since buying mine in March I've camped in the woods 4 times (including MAHHA) and countless nights in the back yard - so doing it myself wasn't an option for this impatient camper.

Good luck

edit - seeing your signature, homeschooling those kids ... how will you find the time to DIY?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FourRingCircus View Post

The end products will be similar if you are making the end channel gathered hammock. So whether you by one or make one, is up to you.

It is the age old question of whether or not making your own gear will save you money. Some say yes, some say no. What it really comes down to, is what value you place on your time. Only you can decide that.

For either of these hammocks you will have to spend extra money on hammock suspension. With the RSBTR DIY kit, you would just need 2 12-15' polyester 1" wide webbing to make tree huggers as you already get the cinch buckles and amsteel to make continuous loops. With the netless hammock from Dutch, you would have your choice hammock suspension.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    The two main reasons you might consider going the DIY route for making a hammock are:

1. You want to

2. You want some special feature that isn't easily available from a commercial vendor (e.g. a stretchable footbox or an unusual design or combination of fabrics)

On a single hammock, you're not likely to save much, if any, money by doing DIY. You may or may not save money over the course of several projects if you already have the equipment and skill to make it yourself. The reason I got into DIY was because I wanted to have gear that was made exactly to my specification, which is really hard to get from a commercial vendor.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I just ordered a hammock from Dutch, I made my own quilts to save money, it was about 100.00 in materials +16 hours for each quilt vs about 300.00+ to buy one so I was very happy with the $ savings. For the hammock though the cost diffrents between the materials and just buying one from Dutch seemed to be only about 15 bucks so I just ordered one:-)
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy Camp and Canoe View Post
    edit - seeing your signature, homeschooling those kids ... how will you find the time to DIY?
    It's my evening quiet time Although, that is one reason why I started looking more at Dutch because I have been having a time with chronic fatigue and by evening just veg out.

I do have suspension options already - a set of Atlas straps and 4 sets of Dutch 15' tree straps (for the kiddos, but I really like how much smaller they pack down compared to the Atlas set). I was reading that if you don't choose a suspension system with the Dutch that it will come with wire ties to hold it in place... does that mean I will need at least carabiners to attach it to the straps I currently have? Or would it be worth it to get a suspension set with the order? DH is planning on just taking over my ENO SN (although he might decide other wise since he is 6', but I don't see him using it much at this point). Which option would be the easiest for a newbie and/or the most versatile for anchor point size?

At this point I am 99% sure I am just going to go with the Dutch for now. I was looking at the thread where he offered one of his buckles with an extra hole so you could attach a spreader bar and hang two hammocks from 1 tree (well, two trees)... I was looking at a true double hammock if we got into hammock camping, but would like to try that option first! I am not sure what I would need for that option... first I guess I need to find the thread that talked about it.

edit: Just saw that the Dutch comes with a double ended stuff sack as well, one less thing to have to make, and it's already the right size. I think I will start with a Dutch for me, then maybe get one for DH for Father's day or something - I can keep the ENO straps and hammock under the seat in my car
    Homeschooling mom to 4 little ones (8 and under)... Doing my best to enjoy this stage of life

Images
    Looking at the Hexon 1.6 in either Dark Olive or Charcoal Grey...

Images
    Here is what I found earlier... for this option I would want to order the whoopie hook suspension option - is it difficult to switch out? Or maybe I can contact them and just get them initially rather than changing them out?

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/double-...ooks-pair.html

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    My suggestion is to PM or call Dutch with your questions about his products. He is always spot on with his answers along with being very quick to respond.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    We also homeschool so making gear time is at a premium. My wife is so tired at the end of her "shift"(the whole day until I get home-and then some)that she falls asleep during her first tv show.

That said, I love to DIY whatever I can. Most of my gear is DIY. If the money is close from one to the next, time would be the determining factor. I may just go with Dutch for this one. All in one shopping for this specific gear.

*edit* Waffle, love your 'toon you.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast