Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

Anyone hear of or have experience with Elemental Hammock?

I just saw a FB post from Ultimate Hang about their gear loft. It's cool idea so I might order one! Their hammocks look good and they make UG and TQ's with climashield. Silpoly tarps for a good price too. whatcha think?
    http://www.elementalhammock.com/
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Website doesn't have any details on the tarp nor pics that I could find.

The devil is in the details.

Gear hammocks are great things, ridgeline gear hammocks, gearbox/gear hammocks. Love them.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    he replied to an email i sent about the tarps in about 20 minutes. i asked about cat cut, tie outs, side pull outs and seam sealing. here's his reply....

Hi Jimbo,

I use SilPoly which is very low-stretch, so cat-cuts are not necessary.
    Standard hex tarp gets four tie outs, the version with doors has eight.
    I can add side pull outs if you want.
    I give the customer the responsibility of seam-sealing, thank you for mentioning it - I need to clarify that on the site.

Thanks for contacting me, and don't hesitate to ask anything!

Shad Giordano
    Elemental Hammock
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JmBoh View Post
    he replied to an email i sent about the tarps in about 20 minutes. i asked about cat cut, tie outs, side pull outs and seam sealing. here's his reply....

Hi Jimbo,

I use SilPoly which is very low-stretch, so cat-cuts are not necessary.
    IMO this is bassackwards. IME catcuts are put in place _because_ the tarp is low stretch. That means it is difficult to get a nice taut _quiet_ pitch because the tarp is going to be loose. No real way around it except for the cat cut. This is not to say a tarp w/o cat cuts is not a good tarp. There are plenty of tarps, even sil tarps made w/o cat cuts that are serviceable and will keep you dry through all sorts of weather. After all.... that's what you want a tarp to do. Cat cuts cost money. Cat cuts complicate the construction. They _are_ optional as far as need is concerned. But I don't buy the rationalization the vendor used.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JmBoh View Post
    I just saw a FB post from Ultimate Hang about their gear loft. It's cool idea so I might order one! Their hammocks look good and they make UG and TQ's with climashield. Silpoly tarps for a good price too. whatcha think?
    http://www.elementalhammock.com/
    He goes by Elementalscape on the forums. He's a relatively new startup and posted his intro in a thread a while back. I've come across a few posts here and there from his customers, but you could always view some of his work by reading through his posts here.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    IMO this is bassackwards. IME catcuts are put in place _because_ the tarp is low stretch. That means it is difficult to get a nice taut _quiet_ pitch because the tarp is going to be loose. No real way around it except for the cat cut. This is not to say a tarp w/o cat cuts is not a good tarp. There are plenty of tarps, even sil tarps made w/o cat cuts that are serviceable and will keep you dry through all sorts of weather. After all.... that's what you want a tarp to do. Cat cuts cost money. Cat cuts complicate the construction. They _are_ optional as far as need is concerned. But I don't buy the rationalization the vendor used.
    I totally agree with the rev, it's just my opinion but i would stick with the venders we know when it comes to gear.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    I totally agree with the rev, it's just my opinion but i would stick with the vendors we know when it comes to gear.
    Well....if we subscribed to that viewpoint nobody would've ever strayed from ENO or Hennessy! Vendors have got to start somewhere, right?

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Seems a little pricy compared to some, but quality looks good from the pics.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowl-maker View Post
    Well....if we subscribed to that viewpoint nobody would've ever strayed from ENO or Hennessy! Vendors have got to start somewhere, right?

Well, your probably right about that , i had a few conversations/posts back and forth with this vender a few months back when he first launched his site and i was kinda biting my tounge when i replied to the op.
    I dont want to bash anyone but imo i would look elsewhere.
    I also personally think he has alot of mis-information on his site and is trying to use it to sell gear to nubee's that may not know better.
    But remember that this is just my opinion and isn't that what the op is asking for?

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    MWG Monster Fly
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Well, your probably right about that , i had a few conversations/posts back and forth with this vender a few months back when he first launched his site and i was kinda biting my tounge when i replied to the op.
    I dont want to bash anyone but imo i would look elsewhere.
    I also personally think he has alot of mis-information on his site and is trying to use it to sell gear to nubee's that may not know better.
    But remember that this is just my opinion and isn't that what the op is asking for?
    I'd be interested to better understand why you think individuals should avoid purchasing gear from Elemental Hammocks. I guess I'm still a "nubee" because I wasn't able to find the misinformation on the Elemental Hammock site. What information on the site do you feel is misleading? I'm honestly curious; not trying to pick a fight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast