Custom 11.5' 1.6 Hyper D Gathered
    Tarp
    Custom Sil-Ny Hex
    Insulation
    Custom Apex Quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel

Thread tension HIGH

So to get the tension correct enough to make nice looking stitches in the lightest material I have, I have to set the thread tension around 8. Do I need to loosen my bobbin tension so that number comes down? What do you guys have your tension # set at? Thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Maybe i made a vid that might help.
    https://youtu.be/8KJwkgDltuI
    Tacblades

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by foxrun View Post
    So to get the tension correct enough to make nice looking stitches in the lightest material I have, I have to set the thread tension around 8. Do I need to loosen my bobbin tension so that number comes down? What do you guys have your tension # set at? Thoughts?
    The short answer is NO!. There is no relationship between the bobbin tension and the thread tension. They act totally independently. In general, the rule of thumb is don't mess with the bobbin tension unless you know exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it. You won't damage the machine if you do, but you won't fix the problem and you will introduce more variables that don't need to be there. Be aware that the very thin fabrics we use a lot do not allow the lock stitch to embed between the layers the way a thicker fabric will. So a thinner thread may be a better solution to the issue than messing with the bobbin tension. A stitch formed under too much tension is more likely to break

That said... IF the bobbin tension is way too tight,(have you messed with it before?) It might be helpful to loosen it a tad. But do so in extremely small increments (<1/8th turn each adjustment) and once you get it where it should be leave it set.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 04-27-2016 at 11:41.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    Custom Sil-Ny Hex
    Insulation
    Custom Apex Quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel
    Thank you both. I did mess with it before... I will try to loosen in ever so slightly.
    Thank you!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Custom Sil-Ny Hex
    Insulation
    Custom Apex Quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacblades View Post
    Maybe i made a vid that might help.
    https://youtu.be/8KJwkgDltuI
    Very helpful. Thank you!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The short answer is NO!. There is no relationship between the bobbin tension and the thread tension. They act totally independently. In general, the rule of thumb is don't mess with the bobbin tension unless you know exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it. You won't damage the machine if you do, but you won't fix the problem and you will introduce more variables that don't need to be there. Be aware that the very thin fabrics we use a lot do not allow the lock stitch to embed between the layers the way a thicker fabric will. So a thinner thread may be a better solution to the issue than messing with the bobbin tension. A stitch formed under too much tension is more likely to break

That said... IF the bobbin tension is way too tight,(have you messed with it before?) It might be helpful to loosen it a tad. But do so in extremely small increments (<1/8th turn each adjustment) and once you get it where it should be leave it set.
    This is really bad advice.
    Bobin tension has every effect on top tension.
    You can run,lose,average,tight bobin tension and your top tension will have to be similar to get a good stitch.
    If your bobin tension is not right and you don't know what your doing you could make it worse.
    If your machine has a removable bobin case you should be able to perform a drop test(YouTube or google search)
    If you have a fixed bobin case like mine(singer 328P) you can buy a tension setter or use your fingers if you have a but of experience.

Thread tension setting vids are also all over the net(sewn samples)and fabric weight is one of the biggest factor in proper tension variance.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jadekayak View Post
    This is really bad advice.
    Bobin tension has every effect on top tension.
    You can run,lose,average,tight bobin tension and your top tension will have to be similar to get a good stitch.
    If your bobin tension is not right and you don't know what your doing you could make it worse.
    If your machine has a removable bobin case you should be able to perform a drop test(YouTube or google search)
    If you have a fixed bobin case like mine(singer 328P) you can buy a tension setter or use your fingers if you have a but of experience.

Thread tension setting vids are also all over the net(sewn samples)and fabric weight is one of the biggest factor in proper tension variance.
    I think he means not changing bobbin tension if it is already properly set and not use bobbin tension for constant and frequent adjustments. He'll correct me if I'm wrong.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

If you ever only use the same strength of thread, you should be able to leave the bobin tension alone (once it is set up correctly). I often use different threads so I often have to adjust it (removable bobin -> drop test). If in doubt do some test stitches changing only one variable at a time. My old Pfaff has a nice explanation in the original manual ...

As long as it works the way you want it to, there is no need to worry about it. If you get maxed out and need more, then you can loosen the bobbin tension by 1/8th turn and try again. When I use #69 in my home machine I have to tweak it. There are other tricks as well, but you are fine as it sits. I have never seen a home machine break a thread because of tension...a cluster yes, but not tension.

• + New Posts