HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Moving from Expedition to Explorer sized hammock

I've been thinking lately about whether to move up in size to a larger hammock. I'm just a touch over 6 feet tall and sometimes feel I'm "filling" the Expedition.

For anyone moved from the Expedition to a larger/longer Hennessy hammock (or another vendor, like a WBBB), can you provide your experience on how you found the change? Good and bad...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    My very first hammock was the HH expedition. I was fairly comfortable but felt a bit claustrophobic. With a few diy hammocks in between I switch to the ultra light explorer. In comparison it's quite roomy, I can comfortably sit up with it zipped up. I do prefer the fabric feel of the explorer though. As a brief aside: I recently acquired a Dutch half-wit in Hexon 1.0 that feels exquisite in that regard, $90 and a bargain imho. That aside I have spent more night in my UL explorer than all my other hammocks combined and it has always satisfied. My happy place was Hennessy with WB webbing suspension. I disliked the original blackbird I tried but I was kind of eyeing the XLC for the removable net and top cover option. The expedition (with 2QZQ zipper mod) is now my wife's hammock and she won't even look at another one.

PS I'm just about exactly 6ft

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by megatate View Post
    I've been thinking lately about whether to move up in size to a larger hammock. I'm just a touch over 6 feet tall and sometimes feel I'm "filling" the Expedition.

For anyone moved from the Expedition to a larger/longer Hennessy hammock (or another vendor, like a WBBB), can you provide your experience on how you found the change? Good and bad...
    I moved from the Expedition to the Explorer UL. The Explorer is much more comfortable, but I don't like to setup my UQ to it (hate it actually). It is now my wife's.

I'm now in a LSoH Warrior, Hexon 1.6, love it. Never going back. You should contact James (Little Shop of Hammocks), top notch service and workmanship.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Will definitely check out LSoH. Always happy to support a Canadian cottage vendor! Thanks.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have both an Expedition and Explorer. I find the Explorer to be much more comfortable and I am only 62" tall. I also have a Dutch 11' and find it to be on the same comfort level as the Explorer. My brother who is 74" tall prefers the shorter Expedition...go figure. Each of us have a different sense of comfort.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by megatate View Post
    Will definitely check out LSoH. Always happy to support a Canadian cottage vendor! Thanks.
    I think that I was the first one trying the Warrior 'Edge', definitely highly recommended. Extremely comfortable, no flop and no bug netting all over me with an UQ attached.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I have both an Expedition and Explorer. I find the Explorer to be much more comfortable and I am only 62" tall. I also have a Dutch 11' and find it to be on the same comfort level as the Explorer. My brother who is 74" tall prefers the shorter Expedition...go figure. Each of us have a different sense of comfort.
    Incidentally I've been eyeing the Dutch 11', wallet in hand. Did you get any of the custom add-ons (ridgeline, knotty mod, etc.)? Any feedback?

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Only add on I got to the Dutch 11' was the ridgeline.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Had to smile - dkuriss' posts that show each of us has a preference we just have to figure out for ourselves (thus multiple hammock styles in our gear locker and a robust cottage business).
    I'm 5'9" (69"), last year sleep over 200 nights/yr. in a hammock, and have a small HH (BackPacker UL), 11 ft Dutch Argon, and 12 ft DIY nylon. I'll use one for a year or so - swear it is the most comfortable, then start using another and on it goes. For me, variety is the spice of hammock life with making a choice being the hard part.
    On my Dutch, I did not order custom add-ons; I use DIY Amsteel suspension (an adjustable ridgeline (woopie) and a locked brommel loop to 6 feet of amsteel line on each end that I use like the HH stock suspension.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Agreed. Since I started looking at changing to an Explorer-sized HH, I'm now looking very closely at other vendors. I've always found my GT ultralight to be slightly more comfortable than the Expedition, which leads me to believe the Dutch 11' is even more so. But then I don't have an UQ (nor the spousal appetite to invest in one at present), so I'm curious about the success of a pad like the Hennessy bubble pad in the double layer. And I really like Dutch's concept of the summer sock (that can flip around for more bug net/more overcover as needed).

This is the subject of another thread I'm sure.

The rabbit hole runs deep...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast