Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The OP is not using tree straps, as evidenced by his photos.
    You likely got confused because neither of them have avatars, but OP doesn't even have the suspension, as evidenced by his post. DonJose is a different poster, who linked to that album of tree-hurt (and has hopefully already added or is at least planning to add straps to his suspension).

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Dutch army tarp
    Insulation
    looking for a new
    Suspension
    exped slitline
    Review Exped suspension extreme

Hey guys

I have seen several people talk about the Exped hammock suspension extreme. As I like supporting Swiss companies I decided to get me one and share my experiences.

POSITIVE
    -lightweight 90g (/3.2 ounce)
    -as easy to use as a loop strap
    -soft shackle at the webbing end
    -does not need a carabiner to attach hammock
    -holds up to 200kg (450kg for the dyneema line w/o straps)

NEGATIVE
    -using it with a carabiner trough the slitline will damage the splice

I have to say this has become my new favourite suspension to put up a hammock. It’s small and fits in the bag of most of my hammocks. By looping the line trough the end of the hammock and looping the toggle into itself, you can attach the hammock without carabiners. When you put the toggle at the end of the line trough the last slit, you have a very long line for trees standing far apart.
    Something that has really intrigued me is the soft shackle at the end of the webbing. While looking unnecessary at first, this allows you to leave hammock & suspension in one piece, when putting it up. If you keep it in a bishop bag, you can attach one strap to a tree, pull out the hammock and attach the other strap without taking either of them off the hammock. I did loop the toggle twice trough the hole of the soft shackle (making an 8 out of the loop & folding it over itself), because it seemed more secure to me. It does however, probably not fall out either way.

The only thing that does not work well is putting a carabiner directly trough the slitline. Although the Exped customer service assured me that it would be fine, this did in my opinion damage the splice. If you have trees close together you can just attach the hammock directly to the tree straps instead.

Here I would also like to ask more experienced people with rope splicing. Judging from the pictures, would you consider this linde damaged? I wrote the customer service again. He said the strings are just pushed to the side. This is not damaging the line.
    What is your take on this?
    Last edited by akazami; 10-01-2017 at 12:17.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Dutch army tarp
    Insulation
    looking for a new
    Suspension
    exped slitline

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Dutch army tarp
    Insulation
    looking for a new
    Suspension
    exped slitline
    Sorry the order got messed up.

1. picture: The slitline mounted on my lasiesta homerope back home.
    4. picture: What the slitline looks like after using the toggle on itself.
    2. picture: splice still ok after more field testing
    3. picture: damaged splice (?) after using carabiners directly in the slitline. (same questiona s above: would you consider this to be damaged?)

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Exped Slit Line Extreme?

Does not look to have any broken parts--the braid is loosened and moved.
    I think it will work ok until and unless any strands break.
    Sometimes this happens to whoopie slings too--especially after tightening by pulling at 90* to line rather than in line. Many of us keep using whoopies that look just like your photos. And only replace once a year or two.
    Not sure if you can squeeze the line and make braid look better--maybe not needed.
    Good luck akazami.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by akazami View Post
    Review Exped suspension extreme]

NEGATIVE
    -using it with a carabiner trough the slitline will damage the splice
    Exped sells the Scout Combi with a caribiner and the slit line. I'm 200lbs and used this for 2 years - it was my "go to" hammock. I camp AT LEAST once a month.

I have NO issues, absolutely no wear, no fraying. I think there is no sign of wear in part because your biner is almost always going through a different eyelet. Once through all you're doing is applying pressure. I suppose you might create friction if you turn your hammock into a swing but otherwise why would it rub or cause fraying?

From personal experience, I have nothing negative to say about this except that whatever comes stock with the Scout Combi stretched so you'd have to readjust or get the hang angle perfect and then move a few more eyelets to adjust for the stretch. Sometimes the eyelets were difficult to open in the middle of winter with cold hands but I'm not sure that's a design flaw or avoidable...

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO HouseFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    ExPed Extreme
    I actually joined Hammock Forums a few years ago specifically to find reviews of the suspension kit extreme, but only found the very first posts in this thread (about just the slit line). I did end up buying the kit anyway, and thought I should share my experience.

The photo below shows what I discovered when packing down the suspension after the very first use - one of the bury ends had popped out. It is a locked Brummel through the slit so this held me just fine for the two hours I spent in the hammock, but obviously this is not a good thing. The bury is about 3 cm/1.2 in - which seems very short? I'm worried that if this happened with the toggle end the toggle could slip out of it's loop and I would drop to the ground. For these reasons I have reattatched the slit rope to the strap ends with a much longer bury that's holding up nicely, as well as ignoring the toggle and use carabiners directly in the slits without any issues. After a rocky start, I have come to enjoy these very much after my modifications because of their low weight and ease of use.

Screenshot_20180817-194503_Gmail.jpg

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    That is very surprising to see the [way too] short bury from the manufacturer.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If there is enough length to spare, you can take it completely apart and redo locked brummel and splice with a longer bury.
    Either way original short bury or long bury, you can coat the to be buried section with flexible waterproof cloth glue and then resplice and
    milk bury and let it dry. This might keep it from getting undone.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    If there is enough length to spare, you can take it completely apart and redo locked brummel and splice with a longer bury.
    Either way original short bury or long bury, you can coat the to be buried section with flexible waterproof cloth glue and then resplice and
    milk bury and let it dry. This might keep it from getting undone.
    As the true strength is in the bury and not the locked Brummel, I'd vote for redoing it to get the longer bury.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast