Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I bought the Edge and the Yeti to go with my XLC, knowing I would someday buy a tarp with doors and a warmer or longer UQ but that they would both be used often and for a long time no matter what else I got in addition (not as replacements).
    what do you think are the limitations of the Edge tarp?..

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    what do you think are the limitations of the Edge tarp?..
    Many do fine with smaller tarps. In inclement weather, pay attention to site selection. Personally I want the extra coverage and ability to hang in places that are as bit more exposed.

Hammock
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Many do fine with smaller tarps. In inclement weather, pay attention to site selection. Personally I want the extra coverage and ability to hang in places that are as bit more exposed.
    ok thanks. so you think this is more of a "full coverage" tarp, than minimal? I'm still new enough that I don't know what to expect in terms of coverage in various weather.

I have a 10x10 for car camping and a Yukon Outfitters Walkabout diamond-shaped Rainfly. the Walkabout works fine in mild weather with light wind. However, I'm going to do a couple weeks on the AT in shoulder season weather and think I'll need something more than that but lighter than the 10x10. do you think the Edge would be good for this or is there better?..

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    ok thanks. so you think this is more of a "full coverage" tarp, than minimal? I'm still new enough that I don't know what to expect in terms of coverage in various weather.

I have a 10x10 for car camping and a Yukon Outfitters Walkabout diamond-shaped Rainfly. the Walkabout works fine in mild weather with light wind. However, I'm going to do a couple weeks on the AT in shoulder season weather and think I'll need something more than that but lighter than the 10x10. do you think the Edge would be good for this or is there better?..
    For all around use I like the Superfly.. it offers more coverage and has doors you can close. It weighs more though.
    But the scenario you bring up is the exact one where I would get an Edge. Weight makes a difference on a multi week hike. I recommend getting out in some weather before your trip to get some practice in.

Hammock
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    For all around use I like the Superfly.. it offers more coverage and has doors you can close. It weighs more though.
    But the scenario you bring up is the exact one where I would get an Edge. Weight makes a difference on a multi week hike. I recommend getting out in some weather before your trip to get some practice in.
    thanks. I've not compared a lot of tarps yet but this looks like a good combination of weight/size/cost.

are there any others that you recommend I look at?..

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    thanks. I've not compared a lot of tarps yet but this looks like a good combination of weight/size/cost.

are there any others that you recommend I look at?..
    Wilderness Logics Tad Pole is a similar size and offers some options to configure it. Both great tarps and a draw on which is better.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    In my opinion Warbonnet tarps have the best weight-coverage-price ratio. That doesn't mean that the other tarp makers are no good. Warbonnet doesn't offer custom work or let you pick a fabric - Wilderness Logics, Undergroundquilts and Simply Light Designs do. They also all have their own designs. If you're looking for an usual shape, SLD offers some interesting tarps. Arrowhead Equipment also makes a lightweight tarp. If you're willing to spend some serious money to save weight, have a look at the Cuben Fiber tarps HammockGear sells.

The Superfly is a great tarp, with great coverage - but for me it has been overkill. I don't camp in winter, and haven't hung in a rainstorm, yet. In every other weather, the WB Mamajamba has been performing great. It's a good compromise between the Edge and the Superfly - basically it's a Superfly without doors.

It'd say check out all the tarp maker's websites, compare the specs, and pick a tarp that appeals to you. All tarps get good reviews, so it's mostly a matter of taste and priorities.

Hammock
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    In my opinion Warbonnet tarps have the best weight-coverage-price ratio. That doesn't mean that the other tarp makers are no good. Warbonnet doesn't offer custom work or let you pick a fabric - Wilderness Logics, Undergroundquilts and Simply Light Designs do. They also all have their own designs. If you're looking for an usual shape, SLD offers some interesting tarps. Arrowhead Equipment also makes a lightweight tarp. If you're willing to spend some serious money to save weight, have a look at the Cuben Fiber tarps HammockGear sells.

The Superfly is a great tarp, with great coverage - but for me it has been overkill. I don't camp in winter, and haven't hung in a rainstorm, yet. In every other weather, the WB Mamajamba has been performing great. It's a good compromise between the Edge and the Superfly - basically it's a Superfly without doors.

It'd say check out all the tarp maker's websites, compare the specs, and pick a tarp that appeals to you. All tarps get good reviews, so it's mostly a matter of taste and priorities.
    thank you for your reply, I have checked out websites and gotten some very helpful personal recommendations.

Cuben Fiber is certainly appealing from a weight perspective but too rich for me. SilPoly fabric looks to have some advantages but I don't know how significant it is.

I agree, of the nylon tarp makers, War Bonnet looks to have a fine feature set with good weight and price. I'm just trying to decide if the added coverage of the Mamajamba is worth the extra 3oz over the Edge.

my big hike is in September but I'll be doing a 2-week shake-down trip in June. I won't need a lot of coverage then and am wondering if I might just get by with Yukon Outfitters Walkabout diamond tarp. it works ok in mild weather and that would kick this decision down the road a couple months...

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I agree, of the nylon tarp makers, War Bonnet looks to have a fine feature set with good weight and price. I'm just trying to decide if the added coverage of the Mamajamba is worth the extra 3oz over the Edge.

my big hike is in September but I'll be doing a 2-week shake-down trip in June. I won't need a lot of coverage then and am wondering if I might just get by with Yukon Outfitters Walkabout diamond tarp. it works ok in mild weather and that would kick this decision down the road a couple months...
    It really depends on the weather. If you don't expect days of rain, storms, snow etc. the Edge is a great choice. For mixed weather, I would prefer the Mamajamba. It offers more wind protection, and more space to sit out the rain. I guess if you're hiking from dawn to dusk and only use the tarp for staying dry while sleeping, and are willing to take extra care when setting up (e.g. avoid exposed spots even if it means walking a bit more), the Edge should work. There are certainly enough AT thruhikers who only used the Tadpole, which is a bit smaller than the Edge.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11.5' w/doors
    Insulation
    Locolibre ,UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by yancha View Post
    the 1.7 vs 1.1 refers to the material in ounces... presumably ounces per some unit of area. does 1.7oz mean 1.7oz per... square foot? anyone know? lol
    The unit is per square yard. Like he said, the 1.7 is heavier and tougher.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234