Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images

NCT in Wisconsin Nelson's Portal to Cty A

Well I was supposed to hike the Superior Hiking Trail this weekend but my truck broke down on my en route. To salvage some time in the words I had my wife drop me on the NCT so I could at least get in an overnight. I did a section east of me so I could "walk" home as she was working the next day. It was an interesting hike as I'd never done this section before. The issue is it is on land owned by Bayfield County, between Brule River State Forest to the west and the Chequamegon National Forest to the east. So the forest is constantly in flux from timber sales. It is what it is personal feelings aside, I want an undisturbed forest and people up here want to be able to feed their children. It's hard to get too political about it. In any case after my first two miles I came across a guy working in a bulldozer in a small clear cut. He was so close to the trail I actually had to wait so I could safely pass behind him. He ended up shutting down his machine to talk to me about hiking, the trail, back packing and etc, he was very curious about the whole thing. A very nice 15 minute conversation with a nice guy. Anyway I'll let the pictures do the talking but a great little overnight to make up for a busted trip.

Trip Gallery

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Netless Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Tadpole 132 inch
    Suspension
    Straps, whoopies
    Images
    It sounds like we had similar weekends! I hiked a bit of the NCT here in Michigan and in just 10 or so miles I saw drastically different landscapes. From open fields to forests, from beaver dams to logging operations. When I came upon acres and acres of felled trees it almost took my breath away. Humans are much more efficient at removing trees than beavers. Beavers tend to create habitat though. It was a bit disheartening but after the fur trade, logging is really what kept Michigan economically viable. The NCT shows you old logging roads and new, and all the deep woods in between. I like to think that loggers have gotten more responsible over the last century or two and accept that forests are indeed cyclical. What I came upon at least had decent amount of mature trees standing but was still a stark contrast to the woods I had just walked through. Also think about human interactions on the trail in general. Yes I came upon a logging operation but I saw relatively few people on the actual trail, something perhaps the AT cannot claim.
    My truck had to be towed back to town as well! I think I got a bad wheel bearing or something...
    "Keep your stick on the ice!"
    -Lumberjackrob

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    That is the nice thing about the NCT here as well. The Superior Hiking Trail is the big draw up here, it has the views and the well placed campsites, it is becoming insanely popular. I can hike on the NCT in Wisconsin for days and not run across a soul, it is incredible for solitude and deep woods rambling. lol sorry about your truck, aye something must have been in the air.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    That's some tough luck fellas, at least you were able to salvage something out of it. Thanks for the pics!

They did the same thing to a couple sections of the IAT down by me recently, although some of it was for invasive species removal. Still sucks to see a once dense forest essentially clear-cut.

You guys still have it pretty good up there though, rare that I go out roughly running into somewhat of a crowd. Guess I'll have to make time to get on the NCT this year!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Nice Pics!

I'll have to join you up there sometime.

HY
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Thanks, indeed it's a nice ramble.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice to see your pix. I have done several sections of the NCT in WI. It is nice.
    I will be off this Friday to go join Hickery for a long jaunt in the Southland. Seeing your pictures made me want to get on it all the more. So ready for some mountain time!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Nice to see your pix. I have done several sections of the NCT in WI. It is nice.
    I will be off this Friday to go join Hickery for a long jaunt in the Southland. Seeing your pictures made me want to get on it all the more. So ready for some mountain time!
    Shug
    Aye, those first spring trips are always the tops. Enjoy your time in the gorge (I'm going to assume) with the best bud. I love my solo trips but having the hetero life mate along is just the best of times. I wish mine would put down the paddle and take a walk with me for once

Nice!

Your dog looked like they were having fun too.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhemkb View Post
    Nice!

Your dog looked like they were having fun too.
    Oh she loves the trail and sleeping in the piney woods. Ten years old and still no problems hiking a 14 mile day. She's spoiled rotten too, it was going to dip below freezing that night so I brought along an old western mountaineering down bag for her to sleep on. She also has her very own thermarest, but she gets to carry that

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast