Byer Moskito Kakoon
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    UCR

Thumbs up First Tarp - COMPLETE!!!!

It's done - my first tarp. Hex 12' in 1.1 silpoly from RSBTR. I'm loving the thought of getting it out into the wild. Weighs in at 14.4oz (includes zing-it for CRL and guy-outs)!

Photo_20160424_165930.jpg

I've got tons of room - pictured is my son's 8' DIY hammock and Fronkey bug net. We both have UCR suspensions and DIY treestraps to keep us off the ground.

Photo_20160424_165943.jpg

This tarp goes on forever!

Photo_20160424_171919.jpg

Doing a little bunking with the sons (the green hammock is a little too low, but plenty of room to move up... this was my first attempt at the bunk with one tarp). My hammock is on top (wouldn't normally do that, i'd be on the bottom with my son on top). Byer Moskito is only an 8' hammock, so I will have plenty of room ~ read as overkill ~ with the 12' ridgeline on the tarp.

It's silpoly, so I didn't cut cat-cuts. It was windy yesterday, and the tarp was silent, but I can see the places that can't pitch as taut - but it seems like it'll do well. Next step is to waterproof it.

This was my 3rd DIY project. The first being the green hammock, followed by the requisite bugnet, and now the tarp... hmmm... what else can I make - it seems like the possibilities are endless.

For suspension of the tarp:
    - 30' zing-it for the CRL
    - 2 zing-it soft-shackle (2.75" ID) prusiks to attach to the CRL
    - 4 10' zing-it guylines attached with a bowline to the guy-out points.

Makes for a nice taut deployment, with plenty of space to lower the tarp if needed, or go porch mode if desired .

Nice work! That looks great, and you got a fantastic result on the weight. I did a MEMBRANE silpoly winter tarp @ 12' without cat cuts and in retrospect I probably would have put in a slight cat cut on the long edges, but it's not enough to worry about or redo. I think you'll be fine.

One note on the 12' length is that it can interfere with the hammock suspension if you setup a 30 degree angle and want to get the tarp closer to the ground. I think it's a tradeoff, and I don't mind a little suspension interference but I do appreciate the extra coverage in rough weather which allows me to hang my giant Dana Design pack from my hammock completely sheltered.

Enjoy!
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Byer Moskito Kakoon
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    One note on the 12' length is that it can interfere with the hammock suspension if you setup a 30 degree angle and want to get the tarp closer to the ground. I think it's a tradeoff, and I don't mind a little suspension interference
    Thanks, Caminante! Appreciate your feedback. I did notice the suspension interference when I added the 2nd hammock - I don't think it'll be enough to kill my enthusiasm for this tarp, though .

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    Looks good dude! Now you might need to make a second one for the other hammock

Hammock
    Byer Moskito Kakoon
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhammockguy View Post
    Looks good dude! Now you might need to make a second one for the other hammock
    There will definitely be more... My other son told me he wanted a hammock for his 5th bday in a couple of months... So, more injection of thread in my future - addiction is a good word for it

Very nice. Looks like a quality job. I like the bunk concept. May have to try that with my daughter.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    You don't know what an addiction is until you get a hold of some Dutch stuff lol

Hammock
    Byer Moskito Kakoon
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonie_Canoe View Post
    Very nice. Looks like a quality job. I like the bunk concept. May have to try that with my daughter.
    It seems like it'll work out really well - need to get the bottom height a little more dialed in. We haven't slept bunked yet, but just hanging around there seems to be enough room... Late night bathroom breaks may be interesting though...

Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhammockguy View Post
    You don't know what an addiction is until you get a hold of some Dutch stuff lol
    Ah man!! I get all of my cordage from Dutch . Don't know if I'll jump into the Ti hardware game, I like a 'no-hardware' kind of hang at this point in my hanging career. I do support the man though.

• + New Posts