A custom made by Oper8or
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Shootin for an UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Wiggys sleeping bags

Anyone on here have an experience with Wiggys -20 degree or -60 degree sleeping bags? I plan on taking on some colder trips in the future and just want to make sure i'm prepared for things. Or if I have to camp near an active water source. So I was just curious. They dont seem to be all to expensive for the temperature rating but I cant find much on em so I just want to make sure they're good or if they're a "get what you pay for" type deal.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    There are a few YouTube videos on them you may want to check out. They do seem a little too good to be true.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I believe they are a common bag on the Alaskan Iditerod Sled Dog race. Them folks have to know cold weather gear. I could be wrong about that. I can't remember my source for that factoide.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Wiggy has a reputation for being extremely knowledgeable about synthetic bags. I first heard about him in the mid 1980's. From what I know you can put your money on his products. If I was looking at a synthetic that is where mine would go.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    hh,warbonnet
    Tarp
    mac cat,diy
    Insulation
    JRB,ix underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie,dutch clip
    it is my recollection,that wiggy was there when holofill was invented.i think he was a dupont engineer.
    best synth insulation ever.have had one bag since 90.wash and dry it every time i use it and it still keeps me toasty .

once when i went out after work on a friday once in a rush and for got my tent.slept on the ground in a 20 with my pack over my face in a downpour.slept like a baby

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MMBNM View Post
    Anyone on here have an experience with Wiggys -20 degree or -60 degree sleeping bags? I plan on taking on some colder trips in the future and just want to make sure i'm prepared for things. Or if I have to camp near an active water source. So I was just curious. They dont seem to be all to expensive for the temperature rating but I cant find much on em so I just want to make sure they're good or if they're a "get what you pay for" type deal.
    I've used the -20 wiggy's bags before on some winter camping trips in my area. They work quite well and keep you warm and dry. The only read downside is that they are bulky and a bit heavy. I got myself a two bag wiggy's system that is rated to -40F after using my buddy's -20F bag. I am quite pleased with the purchase I made.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Bulky and kind of heavy but built like a tank. I've got one of the "Desert" bags that's been washed dozens of times over the years and is still going strong. It may have flattened out a bit but still works (It's probably 10 years old). I had one of the FTRSS systems a few years ago and it worked well. Again bulky/heavy but very warm. Having the flexibility to bring the inner bag, outer bag, or both is very nice.

I used one of the ground pads as insulation in my WBRR. It's much wider than most pads and requires no inflation. I think he calls it "densified fiber fill" which I'm guessing is basically some really dense batting with a heavy cordura nylon shell.

Buried in my shed is an "Ultralite" model that's supposed to be good to 20F. His literature makes it sound like the temp ratings are based on a soldier sleeping fully clothed. However, I found them to be pretty accurate for me just wearing some base layers. However, I think his ratings are the bag without any shelter and of course that makes a huge difference.

If you happen to be military, law enforcement or maybe a firefighter he offers some pretty significant discounts. I don't remember how he verifies that but it's worth asking if you fall into that category.

FYI....the fishnet longjohns actually work too. They're not terribly comfortable against the skin until they've been washed about a dozen times. They're the best thing I found for hard work in cold weather. You can work up a sweat and the moisture escapes through the holes so you don't end up a soggy, chilled mess.

Good luck...

Images
    Yup, great bags. Have 3 myself. Used them more than a few hundred nights, and they always served me well. Just can't backpack with them.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    I've heard great things about Wiggy's too; and would rather invest in a Wiggy's bag instead of an Under-quilt but as a newbie am thinking they are subject to the same compression of insulation issue when used in a hammock.

What are people using underneath them for success with these in hammocks?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    I've heard great things about Wiggy's too; and would rather invest in a Wiggy's bag instead of an Under-quilt but as a newbie am thinking they are subject to the same compression of insulation issue when used in a hammock.

What are people using underneath them for success with these in hammocks?
    if your car camping, anything you want. But Wiggy's bags are so heavy and bulky, no one backpacks with them. Pulling a pulk is a different story though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast