HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

The Hennessy Super Shelter is the real deal

Just got back from my coldest camping trip in maybe 20 years. Spent three days in beautiful Algonquin Park with night time temps dropping to an unseasonably chilly -6C/21F both nights.

For insulation I used the Hennessy Super Shelter below, my 40F TQ with a fleece liner (plus a couple layers of clothing) and the Hennessy Over Cover above. I used a hot water bottle the first night, but it was completely unnecessary and I was a-ok without it the second night.

I was blown away by how toasty warm I was at night. My little thermometer was displaying 10C/50F inside the hammock despite the cold outside. I was almost too warm the second night! There was very little condensation on the space blanket; nothing a little airing out in the morning didn't solve.

I've been a believer in the Super Shelter for a couple years now, but haven't taken it below freezing until now. Coupled with the over cover, I feel I could have taken this system down several more degrees. The only issue for me was the draft coming in through the "port hole" in the over cover was freezing my nose.

Great system - highly recommended. Hennessy has really done a great job with this product. I just love the modular nature of the HHSS and will continue to use it; especially now that I know from experience that it can handle colder weather.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hey there, I have to agree. While it's a system which depends somewhat on vapor barrier action to be effective, but I've been pretty happy with mine as well. I have a 20F underquilt so haven't chosen to try it with the space blanket (I should). But it's very cost-effective, and a very minimalist lightweight option. I wouldn't give mine up for spring/summer camping, for sure.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Good report - did you have the Over Cover installed inside the Under Cover like the HH videos show or did you install the OC outside the Under Cover? I install mine outside the Under Cover with a small gap between the two and I haven't noticed air flowing down from the breathing hole.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I installed the OC inside the UC. I recall your advice to install outside for better airflow, but I found my feet through the footbox were separating the layers and I woke up with freezing toes. Maybe I'm too tall for the Expedition, but when I switch the inside it kept everything together, albeit at the expense of a cold nose.

On a warmer trip I will experiment again with the OC attached outside the UC.

Thanks for the advice!

How about condensation on the space blanket? I've taken mine down to 27 and used it in temps as warm as 57 for nighttime lows. I always get some condensation, but it seems to vary a great deal on factors I don't understand (probably relative humidity, close by foliage, how and where I'm breathing, etc). Just curious about your experiences regarding the condensation. I agree the SS will keep me warm into the upper 20s. I'm happy to hear it'll go lower.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Maybe it was the other Hennessy affecting me but I made a mistake the first night and had the SB between the pad and UC - lots of drops on both the space blanket and on the inside of the UC. The second night I placed it against the hammock bottom as per the videos and only had trace amounts of condensation on the SB and no moisture below it.

This is something I get on every trip I've used the HHSS, so not a big deal any longer. In milder temps close to 50F, I do notice that the pad can get a little damp along the seams. If I know I'll be sleeping in temps that "warm" I don't use the foam pad or SB and instead place a fleece blanket beneath me inside the hammock (the UC stays on all the time though).

Like you, my thermodynamics chops are pretty weak, so I can't validate the conditions (and clothing/insulation combinations) under which more or less condensation will form.

tested out my super shelter yesterday in my backyard and d*mn it was cosy. I ended up falling asleep and naped for about 30 mins My only concern is what to do with the space blanket. It gets quite bulky after its been unpacked and used. On a hike do you store it in the UC in the snake skins or pack it in your pack?

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I tied each of the SB corners to corresponding foam pad corners at the shock cord. SB just stays with/attached to the foam pad.
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Little Shop Of Hammocks
    Tarp
    LSOH Razor
    Insulation
    HG 0 Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Just came across this thread! I had the SS for the Expedition and now for my Explorer. I like the system but struggle with how to keep the foam up against my body. My DIY solution was to add another prusik knot and clip so I can pull the undercover tight enough to bring up the foam pad. Is there another solution I may be missing? Still find it a great piece of gear. Only get it out now when I camp with my son as I use an HG Incubator when solo.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanging Canuck View Post
    Just came across this thread! I had the SS for the Expedition and now for my Explorer. I like the system but struggle with how to keep the foam up against my body. My DIY solution was to add another prusik knot and clip so I can pull the undercover tight enough to bring up the foam pad. Is there another solution I may be missing? Still find it a great piece of gear. Only get it out now when I camp with my son as I use an HG Incubator when solo.
    Just saw this - my foam/space blanket gets pulled up nicely if I tie the hammock tie-outs parallel or higher than hammock level. I'm guessing you are staking your hammock tie-outs to the ground which I can see would cause a gap. Another option is to add insulation between the foam and under cover any thing like an old sleeping bag or blanket or UQ.
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast