Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL zip + 2
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ "et al"
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles etc
    Hi.....good to hear/read as just received supershelter for Classic (one of my three Hennessy;s as use underquilts with other two). Wondering however regarding the foam padding how the heck you get it back into original stuff sack without damaging or do you not bother and just put in pack ? type of thing. Thanks.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I leave the SOL space blanket, foam pad, and undercover attached to the hammock, then roll the entire set up as tight as I can (starting with the foot end so the bottom slit is inside). Then I keep it together with the head end suspension and both tree huggers. Mine is wrapped up now and I can take a picture if you want.

Well, here it is. It will compress about 25% more. This is the Backpacker UL hammock, Supershelter (SOL, UC and Pad), and tarp. The suspension holds it all together and it is weatherproof. BBQ grill and size 10 1/2 shoe for reference.
    Hennessy wraped up.jpg
    Last edited by oldpappy; 06-03-2019 at 17:20. Reason: Add picture
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbustn View Post
    Hi.....good to hear/read as just received supershelter for Classic (one of my three Hennessy;s as use underquilts with other two). Wondering however regarding the foam padding how the heck you get it back into original stuff sack without damaging or do you not bother and just put in pack ? type of thing. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    I leave the SOL space blanket, foam pad, and undercover attached to the hammock, then roll the entire set up as tight as I can (starting with the foot end so the bottom slit is inside). Then I keep it together with the head end suspension and both tree huggers. Mine is wrapped up now and I can take a picture if you want.
    Wow, it seems I missed this HHSS thread! And yet another that finds this about 20 oz full length system - which includes a bunch of wind and water resistance ( an UQP equiv) in it's bulk, weight and price- good to well below freezing. In fact, sounds like he could have even made it OK a bit below 20F! And yet once again, even using the full sock option, condensation appears to be minimal at worst. Not too shabby, IMO! But, no doubt there are still some HHSS deniers out there! LOL!

Dunbustin: I have managed to get the foam pad back into the original container, along with the UC as it was shipped, but I have NEVER bothered with any of that. No reason to. Like Pappy says. I have done it one of 3 ways, all work great:
    1: remove the pad, put it in it's own compression dry bag along with other stuff I want to assure stay dry, and then put the hammock and UC into snake skins
    2: Put the entire thing, including my TQ zipped inside hammock, everything but the tarp, into a large compression dry sack, which is then stuffed inside the ULA pack or strapped onto("outside") my Molly Mac Pack.
    3: Leave TQ zipped inside hammock, and stuff everything but tarp down into my pack, which is kept dry with a poncho or Packa or pack liner and cover.

Every method works and is easy peasy and fast.
    Oad and UC back in original stuff sack for anyone wanting to bother, it can be done:

This stuff sack is on the heavy duty side, I use a lighter one when on the long hikes, but works the same:
    "1:HHSS with one Explorer UL hammock,
    2: pad,
    3: plus kidney/torso pad,
    4: a space blanket,
    5: overcover
    6: undercover
    7: and one Golight Ultra20 TQ
    8: all in one Heavy duty coated nylon sack, total weight 5 lb 7 oz"

BTW, this stuff sack will still compress down a good bit more.

Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-03-2019 at 13:25.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by megatate View Post
    Just got back from my coldest camping trip in maybe 20 years. Spent three days in beautiful Algonquin Park with night time temps dropping to an unseasonably chilly -6C/21F both nights.

For insulation I used the Hennessy Super Shelter below, my 40F TQ with a fleece liner (plus a couple layers of clothing) and the Hennessy Over Cover above. I used a hot water bottle the first night, but it was completely unnecessary and I was a-ok without it the second night.

I was blown away by how toasty warm I was at night. My little thermometer was displaying 10C/50F inside the hammock despite the cold outside. I was almost too warm the second night! There was very little condensation on the space blanket; nothing a little airing out in the morning didn't solve.

I've been a believer in the Super Shelter for a couple years now, but haven't taken it below freezing until now. Coupled with the over cover, I feel I could have taken this system down several more degrees. The only issue for me was the draft coming in through the "port hole" in the over cover was freezing my nose.

Great system - highly recommended. Hennessy has really done a great job with this product. I just love the modular nature of the HHSS and will continue to use it; especially now that I know from experience that it can handle colder weather.
    For the 2nd time in recent years, I stumbled onto this old thread and I wanted to bump it again. What I like about it is: some one besides myself, who has always said I thought of the HHSS all by itself as being good for me to about freezing, sharing an even better experience. Here is this guy, Megatate, who was toasty warm for two nights at 21F, with minimal condensation at worst. Considering this system includes the functional equivalent of a water proof, wind proof UQP at about a mere 20 oz, that is really hard to beat IMO, and is for sure at least competitive with anything else out there. I realize very few are fans of it, but I still think it is a major contender. Even if only good to 32F, that is competitive, and breezes getting under a smaller, lighter tarp(or even a bigger tarp) are never going to be an issue.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12