Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    Apex Shelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Hey there, new hanger from Putnam County, NY. Looking for advice

Hi all,

I'm a new soon to be hanger from Brewster, NY. I have been researching on the forum for a few weeks now, as well as watching videos on youtube and whatnot to jump into hammock camping. I have been watching Shug's videos and constantly digging through The Ultimate Hang site. I finally pulled the trigger on a Ticket To The Moon double hammock with their carabiners and their bugnet as a birthday gift. It should arrive in the next few days.

My current conundrum hanging me up (actually preventing me from hanging), is not knowing what suspension system to go with, as well as a tarp. I have pretty much settled on going with a Dutchware product for the suspension but I am unsure which one would suit me best. I was set on the whoopie slings and hooks but I got the impression from research that they aren't as versatile for different tree widths and distances between two trees as say a cinch buckle system. I may very well be wrong.

I am looking for something that is decently lightweight while also being very versatile and strong enough to hold two people. I also like the idea of the suspension being detachable for separate storage from the hammock in case of being wet or covered in sap. As far as the tarp goes, I was looking for something that could handle the heavy rain of the northeast while also being inexpensive and possibly have a way to close the ends or have doors for wind or if rain becomes slanted or heavy. One tarp I found that seemed versatile yet cheap is the Go! Outfitters Apex tarp or the Kelty Noah's Tarp. I was hoping to keep the tarp purchase under $100 if possible.

I would appreciate any and all insight greatly. Looking forward to my first hang and hopefully getting my friends hooked on it as well! Thanks!

Best,
    Frank
    Last edited by fpfun; 04-23-2016 at 22:46.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore.

The most important things in hammocking are tarp and insulation, so don't skimp on that. I don't have any opinion on the TTTM hammock - it's a pretty rare choice given all the other hammock options available. I was under the impression it was short and heavy and cam with inadequate suspension.

Don't spend any time on hammock-for-two: it's a marketing gimmick favored by ENO and other low-end big-box hammock manufacturers. If you can spend 15 minutes in a simple, gathered-end hammock with another person and not be utterly miserable, then you are a better man than me.

I've been using the Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension for about 4 years - it works great and it's all I want in a hammock suspension.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-23-2016 at 23:31.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Eno Double nest
    Tarp
    walmart special
    Insulation
    loco libre gear
    Suspension
    Ole rachet straps
    hello and welcome im new as well but in order to get me hanging i got me some 10 dollar rachet strap for each end of my hammock for now i tie a marlin spike hitch and put my carabiner thru and it seems to hold well i take the rachet off of course and just use the single hook side they are nylon so they do stretch but they do the trick if you just want to get out im going to upgrade to the whoopie slings sooner or later but for now i dont get out much as i want too and the webbing will do just fine

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Welcome. Everyone has their favorite setups, not everyone has the same. While there are many tarps and diy, cobbled together suspensions, etc... they all serve the same basic function and when you are hanging in comfort dreaming of rainbows and leprechauns, you won't really care about some of the minor details. I recommend just getting off the ground and into a hammock. One doesn't need to get all fancy with specialized gear and setups just to hang in comfort. Any old tarp will work fine, the straps or ropes in the most basic hammock will work good enough until you decide what you really want based on your style and experiences. Heck, my first year in a hammock I used the rain fly from an A-frame tent as my tarp. Bake your cake first, then work on the icing. See you on the trail.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the forum from GA. Good luck with your new hammock!

I have two ENO DoubleNests (for me and my wife). We have lain in one together at times, and even napped together, and they are fine for a short cuddle, but if you plan on spending any kind of extended time in your hammock with another person, you will want two hammocks, or you will want to lay out some dinero for a double-suspended version like what Clark sells.

We have just built our own tablecloth hammocks, with whoopie sling/strap suspensions (using an Marlin Spike Hitch) for probably around 20ish dollars for the materials per hammock, and a brief trial yesterday evening was a great success. The Dutch bling is nice and makes hanging more convenient but is certainly not necessary. You can learn to splice your own Amsteel and be hanging in not time without it, and you will have the satisfaction of "I made this!"

All the info you need to get started is on this forum, and if you have questions the people here are always willing to help.

The possibilities, combinations and choices are endless, but just keep in mind it can all be done without breaking the bank. Happy hanging!

Hammock
    DIY stretch side 10.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Don't know yet
    Suspension
    1" straps, amsteel
    Welcome to the forum Frank. I live in Fishkill and also am new to hammocking. Looking to go hang myself. Warm weather's here, should be a good summer.

Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    Apex Shelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and insight.

To answer the silvrsurfr, I settled with the TTTM gear because I wanted a general purpose hammock that was for hanging with friends and whatnot plus camping. Down the line if I end up doing more backpacking than anticipated I will probably pick up a Dutch hammock and use the TTTM as a way to drag a friend with me haha. I also read that the TTTM doubles were quite comfortable.

As an update, I ordered a Dutch whoopie hook suspension system, some toggles, and the apex tarp. I'm looking forward to getting everything in and start testing it all out in the yard for a few nights, then off to some weekend trips. I got the toggles because I figured it'd be good for me to learn the marlin spike hitch with the straps I have.

I'm definitely interested in trying out some DIY stuff down the line but I'll have to do my homework first before diving in.

Tombias: good to meet a nearby hanger!

• + New Posts