Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Complete Newbie. Need help with 11ft DutchWare options

Hey guys.
    I have an Eno Doublenest but after doing some research I might be interested in getting an 11ft. Dutchware.
    First off, is the Dutchware better enough to justify switching?

Second, I am completely new to the Hammock world. I have no idea what the options I'm looking at are and I can't find any explanation on the site. I need a full breakdown of everything.

I'd like a hammock wide enough for two adults is possible. Is the "11 foot netless" what I want? It's the only 11ft hammock I see on the site.

What are the two layers? Would the colors be on top and bottom, or around the edge for the second layer?

What are the differences between Hexon, True Timber, Argon Dobby and PolyD?

What's a dual knotty mod?

I will mostly have this hanging inside on stud mounts for now.
    What's the best suspension to get with it and is a ridgeline a good idea?

Sorry. I know this sounds like I have no idea what I'm doing...because I don't.

Basically, I'd like to get a Dutchware and I'm looking for the best suggestions for an indoor hammock that would also work for the occasional outdoor trip.

I like OD green as a main color and Tan as a secondary color.
    Last edited by iyiyi; 04-23-2016 at 16:19.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    11' netless is what you want. Unless you want a built in bug net. Most folks like either one of each, or a separate bug net called a "Fronkey" style net to use whenever you need, and put away when you don't. Two layers are top and bottom, like a burger, but with a small portion of the hem un-finished so you can stuff in extra cheese (a foot pad). Hexon is wonderful fabric. I have very little expirence with anything else. It's very nice fabric that is strong and comfortable. Knotty mods are basically a piece of shock cord sewn in the foot-end of the hammock to take up extra fabric so it's not left floppy. Not needed as much for normal width hammocks, but very useful for larger hammocks, and great for keeping your gear in your hammock. Suspension is up to you, if you're doing studs, you could get away with chains and caribeaners, but I use most of my outdoor setup to hang inside to keep the adjustability simple. That part is wholly up to you. My "Dark Olive" dutchware is a single layer and I think it's SLIGHTLY more comfortable. LOVE it. My Dual layer dutchware is Burnt Orange inside and Charcoal outside. It's firmer (think "mattress") and mitigates "Calf ridge" better. I love it too. I Use both inside and outside depending on my mood. You'll spend a lot less by not getting a double right away, however, if it's what you want, by all means. I have no practical use for a double, I SIMPLY WANTED to have a two tone hammock, and Dutch delivered a spectacular product.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    you are looking for 11ft netless hammock singlelayer, hexon 1.6, with whoopie hook suspension, fixed structural ridgeline, treestraps /kevlar for less weight/

Thanks so much guys!
    How wide is the 11' netless compared to the Eno Doublenest?
    Could two adults lay in the Dutchware comfortably?

It will mostly be just for me, but I'd like the option of two people being able to lay in it.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6W 11'
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    Snugpack UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just recently bought my first Dutch hammock so I know what it is like to have all those great options. I definitely believe switching is worth it. Yes the 11 foot net less is what you want if you don't want a net attached to the hammock.
    The two layers is one inside the other outside. Benefits are you can slide a pad between the layers to avoid CBS(cold butt syndrome). As well as add more weight limit to the hammock.
    With regard to the different fabrics Dutch has this page to describe the types http://www.dutchwaregear.com/diy-stuff/fabrics/ you need to look at the description on each to truly understand the differences.
    Dual knotty mod is a shock section in hem of both sides of the hammock to help tighten the sides so they don't flap around when laying on the diagonal.
    Suspension I would recommend whoops slings and continuous loops for inside and if using outside add tree straps. A rigid line is good to help get a consistent 30 degree angle on your straps and keep the right amount of sag in your hammock.
    A really good resource on hammock camping or just hanging in general is http://theultimatehang.com/
    That site and the book five awesome tips for hanging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    First off, hammocks-for-two is just ENO marketing; after 15 minutes you'll be miserable (though there are at least five people on HF who seem to make it work). Added width won't make a simple, gathered-end hammock more comfortable for two people. When you see wider hammocks being sold, it's usually for wider people or people who just car camp. You'll notice that none of the cottage vendors sell or market hammocks for two because it's not particularly honest. The Clark Vertex is an actual hammock for two, but it will weigh 5+ lbs., cost a fortune, and will need three trees to setup. So I'd personally suggest you forget hammocks for two - it sounds great but in practice, it's not.

Dutch has a variety of netless hammocks with different weight-bearing capabilities. Most of them are 58" wide, but there are wider versions for $15 more like the Hexon W 1.6. Of course, wider means heavier, so keep that in mind when selecting (if you ever go hiking with it).

Depending on your weight, or if you're going to use a pad, you probably don't need a double layer. The lower the number Dutch lists, the lower the weight-bearing capacity. For example, I'm 5'11" and 165 lbs., and I use a Dutch PolyD 1.4 hammock. However, he sells fabrics up to the Dobby 2.4; the higher the number, the greater the weight-bearing capacity. Ask Dutch for recommended weights for each size (I don't see them on the website).

Dutch doesn't do colors around the edge - that is an ENO gimmick (and an annoying seam to help you not sleep).

The Knotty mod is just a piece of shock cord sewn into the hem of the hammock. It's for controlling floppy fabric and keeping your quilts and such in the hammock. I've tried the Knotty mod and don't particularly see much point in it (especially since I don't care for hammocks wider than 60 inches and don't kick my quilts out of my hammock).

When you say "occasional outdoor trip," is that car camping or hiking? My Dutch PolyD1.4 hammock is approximately 10 ounces, but a double layer would be double that, and I personally wouldn't want to carry a 1.5 lb. hammock (like an ENO). What about mosquitoes? If you're camping outdoors in bug season you'll definitely need something like Dutch's Fronkey bugnet. Lastly, if you're thinking about camping outside, you'd better think about under-insulation. I use an UQ even inside - anything below 70* F and you're going to find a hammock to be chilly without a pad or something underneath you. That's the only reason I'd get a double layer - to manage a pad.

Good luck!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    First off, hammocks-for-two is just ENO marketing; after 15 minutes you'll be miserable (though there are at least five people on HF who seem to make it work). Added width won't make a simple, gathered-end hammock more comfortable for two people. When you see wider hammocks being sold, it's usually for wider people or people who just car camp. You'll notice that none of the cottage vendors sell or market hammocks for two because it's not particularly honest. The Clark Vertex is an actual hammock for two, but it will weigh 5+ lbs., cost a fortune, and will need three trees to setup. So I'd personally suggest you forget hammocks for two - it sounds great but in practice, it's not.

Dutch has a variety of netless hammocks with different weight-bearing capabilities. Most of them are 58" wide, but there are wider versions for $15 more like the Hexon W 1.6. Of course, wider means heavier, so keep that in mind when selecting (if you ever go hiking with it).

Depending on your weight, or if you're going to use a pad, you probably don't need a double layer. The lower the number Dutch lists, the lower the weight-bearing capacity. For example, I'm 5'11" and 165 lbs., and I use a Dutch PolyD 1.4 hammock. However, he sells fabrics up to the Dobby 2.4; the higher the number, the greater the weight-bearing capacity. Ask Dutch for recommended weights for each size (I don't see them on the website).

Dutch doesn't do colors around the edge - that is an ENO gimmick (and an annoying seam to help you not sleep).

The Knotty mod is just a piece of shock cord sewn into the hem of the hammock. It's for controlling floppy fabric and keeping your quilts and such in the hammock. I've tried the Knotty mod and don't particularly see much point in it (especially since I don't care for hammocks wider than 60 inches and don't kick my quilts out of my hammock).

When you say "occasional outdoor trip," is that car camping or hiking? My Dutch PolyD1.4 hammock is approximately 10 ounces, but a double layer would be double that, and I personally wouldn't want to carry a 1.5 lb. hammock (like an ENO). What about mosquitoes? If you're camping outdoors in bug season you'll definitely need something like Dutch's Fronkey bugnet. Lastly, if you're thinking about camping outside, you'd better think about under-insulation. I use an UQ even inside - anything below 70* F and you're going to find a hammock to be chilly without a pad or something underneath you. That's the only reason I'd get a double layer - to manage a pad.

Good luck!
    Thanks so much for the reply! Exactly what I was looking for.
    I don't care about the weight. Having the hammock be light is not at all important to me.

Doesn't the numbers after the material denote the weight of the material of the hammock? I don't see any options for a wider hammock on their site.

Their website is a bit confusing and it's hard to understand what everything means if you're new to it.

I have spent quite a lot of time with two people in an eno doublenest. Had no idea it was gimmicky. It's one of my favorite things about camping with a hammock.

For the purposes of me getting a hammock now, it will mostly be for me sleeping by myself, and again, indoors most of the time.

When I say outdoors, it would be to set up between two trees for no more than a couple of hours on a hike or walk. I don't plan on spending the night outside in a hammock at this point.

Thanks again for all your help!

ps. do their hammocks come with carabiners or will I have to buy some? If so, do you have a suggestion for that?
    Last edited by iyiyi; 04-23-2016 at 17:46.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Dutch has plenty of hanging hardware, but I don't recall any carabiners. That's something you'll find with big-box hammock vendors like ENO.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Complete Newbie. Need help with 11ft DutchWare options

Dutch still has his original Dutchbiners.

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/dutch-biners-pair.html

Todd

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Dutch sells carabiners rated for 1100 pounds if you need some.
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/carabiners-single.html

You might not need carabiners though depending on what suspension options you choose

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast