WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If weight is no problem and you're really planning to use your hammock with two people, I think the best option currently would be a double layer 1.6 Hexon wide. I would definitely go wide for two people - and personally, I like wide hammocks just for myself, although I'm only 5'4". A double layer made from 1.6oz Hexon will be super strong, so you don't have to worry about overloading it. And it's firmer, too, which will probably make it more comfortable when there are two people in it.

I don't like the Knotty mod because I feel it decreases the usable width, but I have to admit it does a good job of keeping stuff in the hammock. And if you have a problem with floppy sides, you should probably get one.

If you decide to take your hammock hiking more frequently, I would suggest you get a dedicated hiking hammock that is lighter. Dutch's hammocks are not expensive, and once you've been bitten by the hammock bug, you likely won't be happy with just one anyway. Most of us own more than we care to admit.

With regards to suspension, I would suggest a cinch buckle / polyester tree straps / biner suspension. Yes, it's heavier than Kevlar straps, whoopie slings etc. but it's easy to set up and very adjustable. If you start hiking more, you can always get a more lightweight suspension. But even for hiking, a webbing suspension is not that bad. I have been using it for years because I like the flexibility.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iyiyi View Post
    I have no idea what the options I'm looking at are and I can't find any explanation on the site.
    ?????? Really! have you spent the time to look? My biggest problem with this forum is that there is too much information available here. It gets so confusing trying to sort it all out I usually just don't bother.
    Last edited by HangingOut; 04-24-2016 at 08:31.

To help sort out suspension options, I recommend you head over to YouTube. Search for Professor Hammock. There are 3 slightly dated but still very good videos that explain different suspension options. I don't see those videos referred to all that often, but they are an amazing resource. I also recommend theultimatehang.com to sort things out.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HangingOut View Post
    ?????? Really! have you spent the time to look? My biggest problem with this forum is that there is too much information available here. It gets so confusing trying to sort it all out I usually just don't bother.
    I believe the OP was referring to Dutch's site, not HF.

Hammock
    SL tree runner and dutch netless
    Tarp
    SL Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG /SL under/over
    Suspension
    Rap rings/straps
    I have this exact setup and love it. I do not believe it is suitable for two people (maybe double layer 1.6?) but for my 6 foot and 200 pounds...is the "bee's knee's. I got the knotty mod to better reduce the loose fabric once I am all settled in...it does help with forming a footbox for my quilty-schmilty. Although it works well w/o a ridgeline...I am more of a ridgeline kinda guy because it makes the sag the same every time I hang. I highly recommend the HEXON 1.6. Soft and slightly stretchy, looks to be very strong and yet quite light. I went netless and ordered a bottom entry bug net from Simply Light Designs. Also very nice stuff. Lastly, I use 1 inch straps with double rap rings on each end. I carry my whoopie slings too in case its a really long distance between trees. But I prefer just straps. Dive right in...you will have several hammocks within a year methinks!

Hammock
    Tarp
    SL Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG /SL under/over
    Suspension
    Rap rings/straps
    I second the theory that he meant the info on fabrics is lacking on the Dutchware site. That is how I came to land on HF so I ain't complaining!

Hammock
    Tarp
    SL Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG /SL under/over
    Suspension
    Rap rings/straps
    This is all good info...spot-on. I believe the straps are a good way to go in the beginning and if you use a really light biner such as the nano 22, its all pretty darn lightweight. I admit I am not ultralight, rather more in the lightweight category. For example...I take long pants on a multi-day trip, cannot stand the idea of just shorts. Anyways...Hutzelbein clearly knows the ropes...the DL Hexon 1.6 wide would be perfect.

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    I'm sort of in the same boat as OP. Upgrading from a Eno SN, I got cheap at REI garage sale.

IMHO, Dutch hexon w 1.6, with whoopie hook suspension..

Thanks so much for all the input guys! Exactly what I was looking for.
    I just have to soak it all in now and make a move!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    If you're thinking of a hammock for two (I agree it doesn't really exist though my wife and I can hang out in an 11' for short stints comfortably) I would recommend you consider the double Whoopie Hook idea. What it does is take a single pole and separate one end so you are basically sleeping hammock by hammock so you are still close enough to talk. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Whoopie-Hooks
    Please enter your signature here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12