Hammeck Netty 11', 1.6 SL Hexon
    Tarp
    11' UGQ Hanger
    Insulation
    LL habanero 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Fiddle factor

As a converted ground dweller, I do have to say sleeping in a hammock is 1000% more restful...however the downside is, I suck at getting things set up. My wife and I used to get our Tarptent set up, pads inflated, quilts fluffing, and backpacks unpacked in about 10 minutes. We set our new hammocks up out back the other day, with tarps too, and I realised it took us about 30-45 minutes to get it just so. I sure hope we get better at it! I am the most uncoordinated, spatial relations-challenged guy around, so it just takes me forever to learn new things.

Luckily we are going on a hang this week, and will be able to ask questions and advice.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    It does get better (quicker). Stick with it and you will find your system and rhythm. Here is a video that may help iron out a few of the kinks.

Best wishes,

Rob

Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Like anything....takes practice. Plus, what is the rush in the woods?!* But it can take some time sometimes for sure.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    First and foremost, fiddling with hammock gear is the secret we all share here. Sure they are comfy, but it is the limitless customization and fun with fiddling that is the true motivation behind the hobby.

That said....Don't know what suspension and such you are using bet here are my tips for a quicker setup.

Use poly straps with cinch buckles or similar for suspension. They are not the lightest but IMHO have the least fiddle factor.

Use a structural ridge line to reduce readjusting and working to get the angle right.

My preference is for a double layer hammock in all but the warmest conditions. I know it's heresy around here but I just don't like under quilts. I use a Multimat in my double layer in mild conditions and various pads when cold.

For the tarp, I have gone to a two piece instead of a single ridge line. Each line is attached to the tarp with a Nite Ize Cam Jam (smallest size). The other end of the line has a tiny carabiner attached. Each line goes around its respective tree, clipped to itself with biner and then adjusted at the CamJam. For tie outs I use either CamJams or truckers hitch. This system is easy to center, easy to adjust and quick.

Obviously I am not a gram weenie. My hikes are not usually that long as I either car camp or kayak/canoe camp. I'm about comfort and ease of installation. After a bit of practice as Shug suggests, it takes me far less time to set up my hammock than my tent and frankly, it's more fun.

Okay, my rant is over...hope there is something useful here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by Campdavid View Post
    First and foremost, fiddling with hammock gear is the secret we all share here. Sure they are comfy, but it is the limitless customization and fun with fiddling that is the true motivation behind the hobby.
    This sums it up for me right here. I enjoy the fiddle. Sucks a little after when you reach camp after dark and the wind is gusting and it's below freezing, but other than that I don't mind it. I like playing around with my setup. That is one of the joys.

Additionally, I didn't rediscover backpacking until I had already converted to hammocks, so I don't have much of a point of reference. When I backpacked back in my teens (42 yrs old now), things were much different.

Namtrag, as mentioned by others though, you will get faster at it. You may want to look at something like a bonefire whisper if setup time is one of your main concerns. I know I am intrigued by it, and if I didn't already have a bazillion hammocks I'd get one. Good luck, and happy hanging.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    you coming to mahha?

Hammock
    Tarp
    11' UGQ Hanger
    Insulation
    LL habanero 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
    It does get better (quicker). Stick with it and you will find your system and rhythm. Here is a video that may help iron out a few of the kinks.

Best wishes,

Rob

Thanks, Rob. I have been watching your trip videos, and I will be sure to take a look-see at this video as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Like anything....takes practice. Plus, what is the rush in the woods?!* But it can take some time sometimes for sure.
    Shug
    No rush at all, especially since we like lollygagging. Just frustrating that I can't figure stuff out! My brain just doesn't work that way. You should see me try to tie some of the knots you show on your videos! lol

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Practice, practice, practice and then practice more..... The great part is in the woods your not punching a timer and your out there to be out there. Each trip counts as practice too.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Tarp
    11' UGQ Hanger
    Insulation
    LL habanero 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Campdavid View Post

That said....Don't know what suspension and such you are using bet here are my tips for a quicker setup.

Use poly straps with cinch buckles or similar for suspension. They are not the lightest but IMHO have the least fiddle factor.

Use a structural ridge line to reduce readjusting and working to get the angle right.

My preference is for a double layer hammock in all but the warmest conditions. I know it's heresy around here but I just don't like under quilts. I use a Multimat in my double layer in mild conditions and various pads when cold.

For the tarp, I have gone to a two piece instead of a single ridge line. Each line is attached to the tarp with a Nite Ize Cam Jam (smallest size). The other end of the line has a tiny carabiner attached. Each line goes around its respective tree, clipped to itself with biner and then adjusted at the CamJam. For tie outs I use either CamJams or truckers hitch. This system is easy to center, easy to adjust and quick.

Obviously I am not a gram weenie. My hikes are not usually that long as I either car camp or kayak/canoe camp. I'm about comfort and ease of installation. After a bit of practice as Shug suggests, it takes me far less time to set up my hammock than my tent and frankly, it's more fun.

Okay, my rant is over...hope there is something useful here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We both have Hammeck Netties with structural ridgelines, along with cinch buckle suspensions which use with not carabiners or Dutch clips. Our tarps have the old school, one line at each end, hooked on to the tarp with a Dutch Stinger, and tightened using Tarp Flyz. Here is a picture of the only time we have gone camping with our new gear. We went in early December, and then went into my CPA tax-season hiatus, so on top of being spatially challenged, I am also out of practice. I think part of the problem is, at our house, I think the trees are too far apart, so the hammocks are too flat, and I can't reach up the tree far enough to make the angle steeper!

Thanks for the advice! I love reading and seeing how others do there thing!first outing with new gear.jpg

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    If you want to really compare the time it takes to set up, get a new tent that's not a tarptent and see how long this would take.

Since hammocks are new to you, it won't be as fast as something you're already used to. After a season or two, you will be a pro. Just understand learning something new takes time, like the tent did when you first got it. Then, you'll ask yourself what to do with the extra 5 minutes you have after setting up your hammock
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast