Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    Hennessy UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Fig 9s
    Images

Cool April 2016 Dad 'n' Daughter Canyonlands NP Needles District

My Daughter loves to spend Spring Break in Utah. Recently, I persuaded her to acquire a hammock. (it's an ENO Doublenest; I use a Hennessey Expedition Asym.)

She returned the favor by planning our trip to Canyonlands National Park's Needles District. We spent four days and three nights there, camping in Elephant Canyon.

Lots of trails in lots of parks lead to some scenic viewpoint. We hiked almost 19 miles in four days and virtually every step of the way was a "scenic viewpoint."

Fewer than five miles per day, kinda slow? We spent a lot of time taking pictures, looking at scenery, looking at rocks and minerals, looking at trees and wildflowers, and just generally sitting around.

We were fortunate to find a source of water in the bottom of the canyon not far from our campsites on April 04. ( Located at N 38 degrees 06.707 minutes, W 109 degrees 50.260 minutes; elevation 5,302 feet. it is right along the trail and rather sheltered by some boulders; you'll have to be on the lookout or you'll walk right past it.)

I believe the waterhole still had water in it due to a large snowpack and the fact that we were there in the first week of April.

The waterhole was about 5' by 10' and perhaps two feet deep at the deepest. It was stagnant and cloudy, plenty of dead insects. Luckily we had an MSR water filter and sodium hypochlorite drops---no problems. (I kept my Steri-Pen in reserve.)

Our first night in Elephant Canyon was spent at campsite EC1. Second and third nights were spent at EC2. Reservations were made many months in advance. Each campsite featured spectacular views. It appears that virtually all campsites are sited at points above a thousand-year flash-flood.

Daytime highs ranged from low 70s to low 80s. Night-time lows were upper 30s to low 50s. There was no moon, the night sky was clear, the stars were superb and abundant. We used JetBoils to handle the cooking chores. (Coffee, tea, and freeze-dried meals from Mountain home and Backpacker's Pantry. Mid-day snacks were GORP, precooked tuna in olive oil, peanut butter, beef jerky, and candied pecans withj raisins and pineapple.)

We each carried a three-liter Camelbak and three additional one-liter bottles---six liters apiece.

Our trekking poles were, IMHO, indispensable. (Another reason we did not cover much ground was that the terrain is somewhat... interesting.)

On the way in from Squaw Campground, there were numerous places where we had to resort to all fours, whether due to fairly steep slick-rock or to broken, jumbled rock-piles. In fact, virtually every trail we took featured several such challenges.

On the second day, we hiked to Druid Arch---amazing scenery all the way there and a knockout view from the base of the Arch. On the third day, we hiked to and through The Joint.

The fourth day was our hike out, and included a traverse of The Notch. Good thing I lost weight before this trip. We had to take off our packs and scoot them along ahead of ourselves, as we had to go through sideways. In the last mile or so, the trail out (through Squaw Canyon, different than the way in but ending at the same trail-head) threw two, final, slick-rock ridges in our way just to see if we could handle it. We did, but we were tired and almost out of water when we got back to the trail-head. All in all, we felt it was a epic vacation. (We did more stuff around Moab, Utah and up in Nine-Mile Canyon, but there were no hammocks involved in that phase.)

I will now begin an effort to attach a few photos. I will also try to put a few more in my personal album/gallery/file.

Sometimes I get it right, sometimes... something else happens. Wish me luck.

NOTE TO MODERATOR AND "POWERS-THAT-BE": If these files are too big, feel free to yank 'em.

20160403_173839.jpg20160404_075006_001.jpg20160404_122508.jpg

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Nice! It's awsome that you can hike and camp with your daughter. Thanks for the pics and please post more. Do you have a map with your trip plotted on it or .gps tracks to show on Google maps? It's always helpful to see the trails other take along with these notes. Thanks again for sharing.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp ASym
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    Hennessy UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Fig 9s
    Images

Red face

Thanks! My Wife and I are blessed with two wonderful Daughters and a fine Son. Each is unique, and we share a lot of love.

I will post a few more pics. (You can also look me up on Facebook, where I have posted dozens of pics of the trip.)

I used my Garmin to track our hikes and will try to export them in some fashion so as to make them available here (somewhere) on Hammock Forums. So far, no luck. There must be a way; I just have not done it before so I will have to learn how.

20160405_080037.jpg20160405_080137.jpg20160405_105014.jpg20160405_110031.jpg20160405_113713.jpg
    Last edited by BBQDad; 04-21-2016 at 23:05.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp ASym
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    Hennessy UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Fig 9s
    Images
    Here is an NPS map of the area we visited. We were in Needles District. If you look carefully, you can see EC1, where we spent the first night and EC2, where we spent nights 2 and 3. You can also see the trails we day-hiked from those campsites, to Druid Arch on Day 2 and The Joint Trail on Day 3. We hiked out on Day 4 through Squaw Canyon. On Day 1, we had hiked in to EC1 on the trail that lies just West of the Big Spring Canyon trail.
    I hope this works, and i hope it helps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B50...8wUFYtOFE/view

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp ASym
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    Hennessy UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Fig 9s
    Images
    Below is a map of our hikes in Canyonlands NP, Needles District---Elephant Canyon, Squaw Canyon, Chesler Park, Druid Arch, The Joint Trail. Some portions are inaccurate because we were hiking in extremely narrow slots where a GPS signal could not be had. I will try to post the LatLon of some waypoints in a while.

I must emphasize a few opinions:

Incredible scenery virtually every step of the way.

We were there in early April after an unusually snowy Winter. I believe we were able to find ample water due to that coincidence. You may want to discuss water with the Park Rangers, et al..
    "It is better to have too much water than not enough."
    Even in early April, daytime highs hit the low 80s. We EACH consumed roughly six liters (1.5 gallons) of water per day.
    The water we did find was stagnant, cloudy, and full of dead bugs. We used our MSR water filter __and__ sodium hypochlorite drops with great care in order to avoid the possibility of drinking contaminated water.

Hiking was what I would call "rugged." There were many times when we used our hands, whether to grasp handholds or to steady ourselves on steep slickrock. We felt our trekking poles were indispensable. We felt our over-the-ankle hiking boots were of great benefit, especially for extended side-hilling and steep up- and down-climbs.

Gathering firewood is prohibited. The region is quite dry. One decent spark could burn the whole park.

Bear canisters are __not__ required in this part of Canyonlands NP.

It is required that ___ALL___ solid waste be packed out. This was not as bad as it sounds.

We used great care to avoid injury. I believe it would be difficult to impossible to walk out with a sprained ankle and a pack on one's back. Medical evacuation might require a helicopter, depending on exactly where the victim was.

It bears repeating: Incredible scenery virtually every step of the way.

FourDaysThreeNights_APRIL_2016.jpg

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    The only thing that can make a good hang and hike better is enjoying it with family, thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Thanks a ton for the maps and commentary. Beautiful area glad you got to share it with a family member.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Sounds like an amazing trip. The area looks beautiful. I'm happy for you that you got to spend this great trip with your daughter. I have just started taking one of my sons out with me, and I find it super rewarding!

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I'll be in that area next weekend, but I'll be in a kayak, down on the Colorado River. Potash to Spanish Bottom. 4.5 paddle days. How well did your MSR filter work on the murky water? I'll be carrying water on my kayak plus filtering from the river. I'm planning to settle the water in a bucket, then filter. My MSR is the one with the ceramic filter than can be easily field cleaned as needed.

This will also be my first time to use my Garmin GPS on the river. I'll just be using it in Track mode to keep track of daily mileage.

Thanks for your trip report. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use my hammock on the river, as we'll be camping on sandy beaches & benches without many trees.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Thanks a ton for the maps and commentary. Beautiful area glad you got to share it with a family member.
    Indeed! My favorite part of reading trip reports is the maps.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast