Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help picking a Dutch.

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and hammock camping but eager to learn and start. I have been enjoying all the excellent information found here and have really enjoyed Shug's videos. His series on hammock camping for newbs is awesome and really helped to explain a lot. I've pretty much decided on getting an 11' hammock from dutchware but I have a few questions.

I'm 6'2" and 300lbs. What material should I go with? I'm not finding weight capacities for the different fabrics but I'm leaning towards the hexon w 1.6. If I go with that well I have to double layer it? Also which suspension would be better, whoopie slings or cinch buckles? Lastly which would you recommend for a bug net. The fronkey or the summer version of the argon vented sock? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Dutch has his fabric weight limits listed on his half-wit hammock page.
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/half-wit-hammock.html

Hexon 1.6 is listed at 350 pounds

i use whoopie slings and fronkey bug net. I've had no problems. I also use his spiders suspension from time to time. I like that too. I can't speak for cinch buckles, never used them. I can't speak for the argon vented sock either. the only scenario I can imagine preferring the sock is if I wanted some splashback protection for my UQ in a summer storm. I imagine it would be good at that...I don't know, I've never had one.

have fun in your decision...don't stress too much about it and have some fun hanging

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    You may want the heavier Hexon 2.4, or just double layer the 1.6. I'm sure a single layer of 1.6 would hold you, but it may stretch a little more than you'd like.

I use dutch cinch buckles. I like them. I'm no a big fan of whoopie slings really. They're fine, but I just seem to like my cinch buckles better.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you want your hammock to be firmer, go with a double layer or a heavier fabric. If you're OK with some stretch, get the single layer.

With regards to suspensions: I can recommend Spiders on webbing. Very simple, super versatile and reasonably light. You can still use Spiders if you decide to go with whoopies. I prefer them over toggles or other hardware. Obviously, whoopies are lighter than webbing (but you still need some webbing around the tree), but they also need more space. You won't be able to go very close to the tree. On the other hand, if you are using spiders, you could simply take a couple of loops for tight hangs. Depending on the overall length of your suspension, whoopies, loops and tree huggers should still come in a bit lighter than webbing only.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    You didn't say if this was for car camping or backpacking. It might weigh on your decision. If the little bit of extra cost isn't a problem, I'd suggest getting both 1.6 and 2.4 single layers, each with CL's. Ideally, set them up side by side, but that would require 2 sets of suspension. Alternatively, just swap the hammocks so you can try them back and forth. Jumping back and forth will give you the general idea of difference in feel, but that only tells part of the story. You need to spend whole nights in them.

If you are able to set up both hammocks simultaneously, you can try a set of whoopies and a set of cinch bugs or spiders. If you can only hang one at a time, as hutzelbein pointed out, you can get a single combo of straps/spiders and whoopies which also allow you to try out both.

As sooo many have pointed out in the past, perhaps the best thing is to first find a hang near you and go test out other folks stuff. Keep in mind what I said above, you really need to spend whole night in a hammock to know how well it will work for you.

I have fronkey bug nets but haven't used them outside yet.
    Last edited by sqidmark; 04-22-2016 at 08:51.

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    @dude5767, if you haven't seen it, look at this chart on Dream Hammock. They don't have hexon, but hyperD is close.

Maximum weight and comfort rating are very different things. Stretch is a very important factor for comfort and everyone has his preferences. For a first hammock, I'd go with less stretch.

I'd definitely go with CLs on the hammock.

From there you could use Spiders, Cinch Bugs, or WSs (with Whoopie Hooks) larksheaded to a double-looped tree strap (Dutch calls them "huggers"), or even Dutch's ti cinch buckles (they're much nice, although more expensive, than the standard cinch buckles) larksheaded to the CLs. Lots of versatility with CLs on the hammock.

As hutzelbein pointed out, you could still use WSs with Spiders (or even Cinch Bugs) if they have WHs on them to hook to those CLs.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    ... With regards to suspensions: I can recommend Spiders on webbing...
    I'm sorry to be "that guy", but...
    Spiders occupant weight limit is 250 pounds. I'm sure this limit is no problem for hutzelbein but as for me, I am Great Big.
    Dutch Buckles can be used in a similar fashion and have no listed occupant weight limit but are heavier and less convenient to adjust.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have two Dutchware Hexon W 1.6 hammocks, one in single and one in double layer. Single layer has a bit more "Give" in it, like a softer bed. Double layer stretches considerably less and is more "firm", but neither feel like a trampoline. I feel like the Double layer more evenly distributes weight and as such, mitigates "Calf Ridge" a little better than the single. That having been said, the single layer is by no means offensive in terms of calf ridge. Being that they are both 11'x72", the space inside and ability to stretch out is the same, however I've noticed that while sitting sideways in the hammock, legs over the edge, the double layer "digs into your thighs" much less (again, possibly better weight distribution along the fabric?). The overall texture of Hexon 1.6 is very enjoyable, not slick, staticy, plasticy, nor rough and feels like strong washed linen. The single is a bit draftier in that the fabric, being breathable, is a bit susceptible to wind stealing your heat. The double isn't as prone to cutting wind for obvious reasons, but an under quilt or pad is still a good idea. Other than those differences, both of my hammocks are setup identically and have exceeded expectations. I'm 200lbs and have no problem with either, it's just nice to have options.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by dude5767 View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and hammock camping but eager to learn and start. I have been enjoying all the excellent information found here and have really enjoyed Shug's videos. His series on hammock camping for newbs is awesome and really helped to explain a lot. I've pretty much decided on getting an 11' hammock from dutchware but I have a few questions.

I'm 6'2" and 300lbs. What material should I go with? I'm not finding weight capacities for the different fabrics but I'm leaning towards the hexon w 1.6. If I go with that well I have to double layer it? Also which suspension would be better, whoopie slings or cinch buckles? Lastly which would you recommend for a bug net. The fronkey or the summer version of the argon vented sock? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I'm 6'2 and 320. The hexon 1.6 will easily hold you. If you're not backpacking with it and don't want much stretch, the 2.4 hexon is also a great option. I've recently even gone to the hexon 1.0 material for my backpacking hammock and it holds me fine, although I suspect the 1.6 with last much longer at my weight. Personally, I love the hexon material. All of mine are single layer.
    I hate it when people accuse me of lolly gagging when I'm clearly dilly dallying...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast