warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery

Dutch stingers vs fleaz

Hi Dutchers Please, just one of the newbies question about hardware. I bought the stingers spliced to zing it, and several fleazs.

And would like to know, what is the reason not to use fleaz to tie the ridgeline of the tarp to the tree. If there is one. The spliced stinger needs double distance of the rope to go around the tree and back. Thinking to cut it, and use the stinger the same way as the fleaz. Hope you understand what I am asking

Thank you

Marek

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    You could use fleaz on your ridge-line no problem at all. Here are some other options you may want to consider as well.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    The stingers are meant to be removalable. and the fleas stay on the line. Some people dont want the metal pieces messing with expensive tarp material. Think fleaz thru cuben fiber. Others hang in places where pine sap is an issue. The stinger afford you the ability to remove the rl and put away seperately from tarp. I dont see the difference in lines tho? Either way the line needs to go around the tree and back to the tarp or fastener.

Or you are using the stinger differently then I am thinking. Splice the end of the stinger to the line. the stinger is then cliped to the d ring or loop from the tarp. the unspliced end goes around the tree thru the hook for tightening then around the bit. how is that different then the fleaz?

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    Well, for now I use the stinger as it was invented to. But the fleaz is attached to the tarp, and the line goes from the tree or stake, where it is spliced once /knot, etc/. Just like the first option in the video above. The stinger uses two lenght of the line, if its spliced, as the video above shows. And I dont see any reason why the stinger should be spliced to the rope /zing it/. Was thinking I am missing something.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    The reason I am thinking about this, is that yesterday when I set up everything, the trees were a bit more distant for my tarp, and I needed some 4 centimeters more of the line on the stinger. Using only one length of it came to my mind. Later I will take pictures of 2 another possibilities, how to save the zing it length, using it the same way as fleaz, and detachable from the tarp /well its carabine/, if someone doesnt want to hurt his tarp.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I prefer Fleaz over Stingers, because I think it gives more options. I have the Fleaz sliding loose on my line, with the line girth hitched to the tarp. If I keep the Fleaz very near the tarp, they function exactly like the Stingerz. I usually do it this way, because I prefer the "v" shape of the lines around the tree, to give my hammock suspension something to go through without interference. If, however, I get a big tree or trees that are too far apart, I can slide the fleas all the way to the tree. This gets rid of the perfect "v", but gives me much more line to work with. I use snakeskins, and the way I store my tarp, I don't worry about sap or hardware poking through the tarp.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    I prefer Fleaz over Stingers, because I think it gives more options. I have the Fleaz sliding loose on my line, with the line girth hitched to the tarp. ...
    That sounds more like the way a Wasp is used(?)

In general, whether it's Fleaz, Flyz, Wasps, or Stingers, that loop around the tree gives you the intended 2-to-1 mechanical advantage to be able to get the ridge taut. Obviously much less important on guylines where Fleaz are often used with a simple 1-to-1 direct pull.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Little food for thought: My Hennessy Hex is set up with a Tarp fly and I'm considering changing it to a wasp. Nothing wrong with the fly, it works beautifully, but it's a bit small for my sausage fingers to navigate. Great product though!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post

Yep. I a practical sense, I don't think there is much difference between a wasp and the flyz. Dutch probably explains the differences best in the video in this link.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...gerz-and-wasps

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post

Yep. In a practical sense, I don't think there is much difference between a wasp and the flyz. Dutch probably explains the differences best in the video in this link.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...gerz-and-wasps

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast