13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps

help with xxl diy bridge hammock

I am looking to start on an xxl diy bridge hammock and I wanted to ask for some help and tips first. I have made and used a few diy gathered end tcf hammocks, the xxl 13 x 9 is my current, and I do enjoy them but I have been curious about a bridge and thanks to recent back surgery Im stuck a home for a few weeks with way way too much time on my hands. I had made a huge set of clews to try a navy type hammock but I cant figure out how to get the clews attached to the fabric part of the hammock so I just stopped there. anyway I have seen a youtube vid by xl hiker I think who showed a nice bridge that someone on the forum had made for him. I have no experience with bridge hammocks at all but Im willing to learn. I had thought about trying something I saw dave canterbury talking about the duluth canvas bedroll which is basically a rope side hammock which looks like a heavy duty bridge of sorts.

Anyway anyone who can pass along any tips of help with a diy xxl heavy duty bridge hammock I would appreciate it very much.

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsig11010 View Post
    I am looking to start on an xxl diy bridge hammock and I wanted to ask for some help and tips first. I have made and used a few diy gathered end tcf hammocks, the xxl 13 x 9 is my current, and I do enjoy them but I have been curious about a bridge and thanks to recent back surgery Im stuck a home for a few weeks with way way too much time on my hands. I had made a huge set of clews to try a navy type hammock but I cant figure out how to get the clews attached to the fabric part of the hammock so I just stopped there. anyway I have seen a youtube vid by xl hiker I think who showed a nice bridge that someone on the forum had made for him. I have no experience with bridge hammocks at all but Im willing to learn. I had thought about trying something I saw dave canterbury talking about the duluth canvas bedroll which is basically a rope side hammock which looks like a heavy duty bridge of sorts.

Anyway anyone who can pass along any tips of help with a diy xxl heavy duty bridge hammock I would appreciate it very much.
    search grizz bridge or you tube professor hammock

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Insulation
    AHE TQ+UQ toasty!
    Suspension
    Lapp hitches
    I just finished my first navy style hammock. Derek Hanson's page and youtube vid was all the clews tutorial I needed.

http://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/w...clew-tutorial/

Give it a try and let us know how it was.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyg View Post
    search grizz bridge or you tube professor hammock

I built an xxl bridge awhile back and the Grizz Bridge video's are priceless, check them out.

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    has anyone tried a diy version of the kephart bedroll hammock ? It looks like your basic extra heavy clunky bridge type thing to me but heavy and clunky diy kinda fits me. lol. I think the navy clew hammock and the kephart bedroll are similar execept where the kephart uses poles to hold the ends apart the clews would offer more width than just gathered ends but not a constant forced width i guess flexible bridge of sorts?

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    Ok I have decided to try a basic grizz bridge type bridge and Illl wait on the kephart bedroll hammock, Im trying to find out how to determine what length and width I need based on my height and weight. on the video the professor mentioned the persons height and then plus 7 inches but I dont know if that is a basic starting point or just for that particular hammock he was working on. I have never even seen a bridge hammock in person much less tried to lay down in one.

Is there a thread or video that explains how to take my height and weight and build a bridge to fit me? I really like the one that vince allen built for big backpacker I think he called it the heavy duty bridge. Im trying to understand how to get started.

• + New Posts