Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

Video: Engineering of the Grizz Bridge Ariel

It was a long time in coming, and may feel like a long time to view it, but I've finally managed to pull together a description of the details behind the Grizz Bridge Ariel, introduced last June in "A Sneak Preview of the Grizz Bridge Ariel". The chief things of interest, I think, are the techniques for splicing suspension cord so that the little gaps for spreader bar tips are (a) the right distance apart on the same side, and (b) directly across from each other at the corners. Then I go through rather a lot to get to the answer "43" (sure would have been nice to get to "42"!) which describes how to cut the hammock body past the recessed spreader bar so that the hammock stays flat just past the spreader bar.

Not much in the way of viewing a finished hammock...I'm getting there, I know this one has the flatness I designed it for, but it needs a bunch more stuff. So there's be another video in the offing---I hope in the next couple of months---I'll call "Tricking out the Ariel".

In the mean time, if you like engineering stuff, stick with this one to the very end and win a prize!

Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Very refined work! Especially the amsteel splicing to ensure equal sides. Also, I really like the use of the channels made from the excess fabric. It looks efficient and strong, as long as there is no sliding of the fabric along the amsteel chords. But I am sure that you have that worked out. Thanks for sharing this well made video. I look forward to the launching of the Ariel!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Wonderful! This is precisely the explanation that we were waiting for. (It matters not that I won't follow it exactly in my current bridge experiments. They are already laden with clever and useful details borrowed from other Professor Hammock videos, and I fully expect to incorporate bits of this one as well. What I appreciate most is the clear statement (and illustration) of the problem or design element being addressed at each stage of construction. To come up with the best answers you need to be absolutely sure what questions you're asking. Thanks, Grizz!)

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Great video!
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Thanks for sharing!

Where did you get the hot knife? If it works as well as it looks like it should, then I wish I'd had one a few decades ago.

BTW, at about 5:20, your arrows on the right side are not centered on the gap (not being picky, but I figured you would want to know).

Do I need to send a self addressed stamped envelope to get the certificate?

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rat View Post
    Thanks for sharing!

Where did you get the hot knife? If it works as well as it looks like it should, then I wish I'd had one a few decades ago.

BTW, at about 5:20, your arrows on the right side are not centered on the gap (not being picky, but I figured you would want to know).

it may be in other locations but this is on amazon.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Great job griz. I have not begun to make a bridge hammock, but like a down quilt it will happen some day. My prep skills need to be better, the hot knife would help too. Thanks for sharing.

Images
    Thank you Grizz. It is wonderful to see you back in front of the camera again.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    Very refined work! Especially the amsteel splicing to ensure equal sides. Also, I really like the use of the channels made from the excess fabric. It looks efficient and strong, as long as there is no sliding of the fabric along the amsteel chords. But I am sure that you have that worked out. Thanks for sharing this well made video. I look forward to the launching of the Ariel!
    Hey thanks! I like the aesthetics also of making full use of the hammock fabric. Green hammocking! All it takes to anchor the hammock body to the cord is a 6" sew through of the cord on the hammock side of each corner. I sometimes run a stitch right in the middle of the arc too, to limit any other slippage.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Wonderful! This is precisely the explanation that we were waiting for. (It matters not that I won't follow it exactly in my current bridge experiments. They are already laden with clever and useful details borrowed from other Professor Hammock videos, and I fully expect to incorporate bits of this one as well. What I appreciate most is the clear statement (and illustration) of the problem or design element being addressed at each stage of construction. To come up with the best answers you need to be absolutely sure what questions you're asking. Thanks, Grizz!)
    Hey WV! You were one of the 3 I was thinking of who was waiting for this! Appreciate your appreciation of the presentation. It's the teacher in me. Looking forward to the next realization of your own fertile creativity.
    Quote Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
    Great video!
    Rob! Thanks. Through your .sig I had a look at Backpacking Adventures site, that's great. And then splurged on the watch from 'Gear I Use'. Hard to beat the price for the functionality. I'm a gear junkie....

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rat View Post
    Thanks for sharing!

Yep, miyanc nailed it with the Amazon link to the hot knife. I can go for about 5 minutes before it needs to cool off a bit and get the tip cleaned, but it is SO much easier dealing with fabric this way. The real impetus for that investment was having a seam sealed cut of the suspension curve. Just about anywhere else I can get away with a rolled hem, but not there, I'd have to cover the raw edge with bias tape (which as you can see I'm fond of anyway).

As for the certificate, well I can take my queue from Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers and suggest you write your name and address on the back of a $20 bill . Seriously though, if you're serious I'll email you a pdf, just need an email address.

Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    it may be in other locations but this is on amazon.
    Bingo. You must have recognized it. Sailrite is the only place I know that has this (and Amazon offers it through Sailrite).

Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    Great job griz. I have not begun to make a bridge hammock, but like a down quilt it will happen some day. My prep skills need to be better, the hot knife would help too. Thanks for sharing.
    Hot knife is great. Suggest you just practice on small things. A bridge hammock will be easier than a down quilt. This is the voice of experience you are hearing!

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Thank you Grizz. It is wonderful to see you back in front of the camera again.
    I'm a ham, what can I say? Thanks for liking it!
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Brilliant! I wish that I was as literate at digital engineering as you. I still do all of my calculations on graph paper and then have to build 3D models using that graph paper.

Your progression was methodical and easy to follow. I've watched every video that you've released because, although I do not sleep in a bridge, I learn something new each time.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast